Connect with us

Top News

Trump threatened to withdraw the Republican convention from North Carolina

Published

on

Brian Stelter: How will history remember this moment?

Trump argues that Cooper “cannot guarantee” that the arena can be filled according to capacity.

“I love the State of North Carolina, so I insist on holding a Republican National Convention in Charlotte at the end of August,” Trump said in a series of tweets. “Unfortunately, the Democratic Governor, @RoyCooperNC is still in a Shutdown mood & cannot guarantee that in August we will be allowed to be fully present at the Arena. In other words, we will spend millions of dollars building the Arena to a very high standard without even knowing if the Governor Democrats will allow Republicans to fully occupy this space. “

He continued, “Plans are being made by thousands of enthusiastic Republican supporters, and others, to head to beautiful North Carolina in August. They must be immediately answered by the Governor, whether the space will be left completely or not. If not, we will be forced to search, with all the work and economic development it carries, other Republican National Convention sites. This is not something I want to do. Thank you, and I LOVE the people of North Carolina! “

The tweak really closes the eyes of party officials and those involved in convention planning, who have repeatedly argued that health and safety will take precedence. Officials insist planning for the convention is on track.

However, Vice President Mike Pence echoed Trump on Monday, telling Fox News that the convention could be moved “if necessary” and listed several states that could be alternative locations.

“This is an issue that we have been discussing because this national convention really takes months to organize and prepare and there are states across the country – we think of Texas, we think of Florida, Georgia, the last two countries I visited last week who have made extraordinary progress in reopening their communities and reopening their economies, “Pence said.

See also  Chicago police catch screams of homophobia slur at protesters: video

Pence said Trump’s request for Cooper was “very reasonable.”

“We all want to be in Charlotte, we love North Carolina, but having a feeling now is really important because of the rules and regulations involved, and we look forward to working with Governor Cooper, getting quick responses, and, if necessary, moving national conventions “to a country that is further about reopening and can say with confidence that we can gather there,” he said.

The National Committee and Republican conventions did not immediately respond to CNN’s request to provide comments and questions, whether other location prospects had been discussed. A Trump campaign official referred CNN to the President’s tweet and the vice president’s comments on the topic, refused to respond to CNN’s question about whether the campaign was informed that Trump’s tweet was coming.

While the President called for “guarantees” from North Carolina, the suggestion ignored uncertainties surrounding the summer level of coronavirus.

Cooper, who is ready to be re-elected in November, announced last week that the country would advance to the next stage of the reopening plan, with restaurants, barber shops and salons among places that could be opened with restrictions on Friday night, while the gym , bars and film theaters will remain closed.

Both Cooper and Charlotte Democrat mayor Vi Lyles said their recommendations and decisions about the convention would be guided by science, not politics. Business owners see conventions as a potential lifeline after more than two months of economic disaster.

“This is not politics. It is not emotional. It is based on health experts, data and science and that’s all for everyone to see,” Cooper told CNN. “Nobody likes or dislikes the others.”

The Republican Convention, which is scheduled to be held in the same city arena where President Barack Obama accepted his candidacy for a second term in 2012, was flooded with uncertainty as party officials determine how to navigate the presidential campaign during a public health crisis.

See also  ADT workers were accused of using applications to spy on people for 7 years

Cooper said the Republican meeting would be treated like another big event and it was still unclear whether the concert or the NFL would return this summer and this fall. The crowd was still limited to 10 people, under the governor’s orders, with the reopening phase still to come.

Last month, GOP Chair Ronna McDaniel told reporters the Republican National Committee, Trump’s campaign, and the host committee were moving “eagerly” in planning conventions, but would assess in late June or early July whether contingencies were needed due to the corona virus.

“We do not think at this time we should turn to alternative plans, but of course, we will monitor the situation and adjust it,” he said at a briefing briefing. McDaniel also said, “We will not hold a virtual convention.”

It remains unclear what the adjusted GOP conventions can look like and how social distance guidelines will be observed in the coming months. A “traditional convention” usually consists of thousands of supporters packed into the arena, including key party officials, during the formal nomination process.

Trump’s chirp comes amid criticism because his weekend spends golf at his club in Virginia and a few hours before he is set to commemorate the Memorial Day holiday by participating in a bouquet placed at the Arlington National Cemetery and a ceremony at Fort McHenry in Baltimore.

This story has been updated with additional developments Monday.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  China opened its embassy on a small Pacific island that was isolated during a pandemic. This is why
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Supreme Court decision on Trump's finances

Continue Reading

Trending