Connect with us

Top News

This man protected dozens of protesters at his home in Washington, DC, to protect them from arrest

Published

on

Why this 'sick to my stomach' quote proves exactly what is wrong with the Trump White House
Mayor Muriel Bowser ordered 7 pm to 6 am curfew the entire city on Monday in response to the sometimes violent protest against police brutality after George Floyd’s death last week in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

A protester told CNN that crowds marched away from the White House on Monday night and ended up in a residential neighborhood where they were surrounded by police.

The protesters, who asked to be identified only as Meka, told CNN that the protest was peaceful and people were just trying to figure out what to do.

“I think someone gave an order, and they just pushed us, sprayed a club, trampled on people, and that’s when everyone started to panic,” said the 22-year senior college.

He looked around and saw his friend running up the stairs to the nearest house and a man waved to enter.

“I just ran towards the stairs and ran up the stairs and just started to get in as fast as possible,” said Meka. “At the moment, I don’t know if it’s the right decision, but I think it’s right.”
He said he looked out the window and saw more police officers than he could count and many people were arrested outside.

Metropolitan Police Department chief Peter Newsham said on Tuesday that no protesters in the house were arrested and that officers “continued to communicate with the owner of the house throughout the night.”

Newsham said 300 people were arrested Monday night, including 194 in the area around Rahul Dubey’s home.

Dubey told me CNN WJLA affiliation that he was on the veranda and had let several protesters fill their phones inside and use his bathroom before the police entered. , and I describe it as a ‘human tsunami’ that is the best I can see for about a quarter of a block down the road, “he told WJLA.

He said he shouted “enter, enter the house” for about 10 minutes.
Dubey told WJLA that around 70 protesters entered and it was “chaos and chaos” for about an hour and a half when they tried to settle down and help people who had pepper sprayed.

See also  Tristan Thompson reacts to Khloé Kardashian's new appearance

CNN hasn’t been able to contact Dubey to comment.

Meka told CNN that he could not sleep on Monday night and the police tried several times to get the protesters out.

He said that at one time Dubey could get pizza and some members of the community also brought food.

Becca Thimmesch lives about two blocks away from Dubey and says he and three other people remained on the veranda overnight to observe police activity and check with protesters.

He said they also work to arrange trips to bring young children home once the curfew is lifted.

“Then around five o’clock, with an hour to go, community members began to appear left and right carrying food and water and cleaning their hands and cars and offering to bring people in,” said Thimmesch.

He said they had more volunteers than they needed when the protesters came out, so many of them stayed behind and helped clean up.

Earlier on Monday, authorities used rubber bullets and tear gas to clear protesters from Lafayette Park so President Trump could visit St. Episcopal Church John

Thimmesch said he saw several residents on the street letting protesters enter their home.

“There is currently a global pandemic, and we have been told, ‘don’t leave people in your home, don’t share space with people,'” he said. “And you know, these random people make what I consider to be a great sacrifice, to try and guarantee the safety of young people they don’t know about.”

Dubey told WJLA that he considered the family of the protesters young and that he was relieved to get texts and messages that they were all safe at home.

See also  Florida studies document amount of COVID-19 hospitalizations

“I hope my 13-year-old son grows to be as amazing as they are,” he said.

“I hope they continue to fight and I hope they go there today peacefully, like they did yesterday, and don’t blink because our country needs them, and needs you and everyone more than ever now.”

Lauren Koenig from CNN contributed to this story.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Tristan Thompson reacts to Khloé Kardashian's new appearance

Continue Reading

Trending