Connect with us

Top News

As the curfew continues, restaurants that have difficulty delivering additional blows

Published

on

As the curfew continues, restaurants that have difficulty delivering additional blows

Los Angeles faces 6 things. curfew on Tuesday after widespread protests against the murder of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer that began last week.

For local restaurants, which have recovered from more than two months of takeout-only during the COVID-19 pandemic, curfews – which have been imposed since Saturday in all cities and Sundays in all regions – have more complicated efforts to reopen completely.

“It’s a mess, it’s really confusing,” said Jesus Lezama, manager of Versailles Cuban Food at Palms. “We have as little information as our customers have.”

In some cases over the weekend, the curfew was issued only hours before, causing restaurant owners to scramble to adjust plans and notify staff.

Some restaurants choose to close earlier than the curfew to allow employees and customers to go home. But many others – including Guelaguetza, Apple Pan and most Sweetgreen salad chain locations – are closed all day.

“All our stores will be closed again, Tuesday, June 2,” Go Get Em Tiger coffee shop posted to Instagram. “Please support one of LA’s black coffee shops.”

Adding to the confusion, cities like Santa Monica, Beverly Hills and Culver City imposed an earlier curfew, replacing orders for the entire region.

Lezama said Versailles, usually open until 10 pm, had closed at 5:30 pm. according to the city curfew. But because the restaurant is on the border with Culver City – home to 4 pm. curfew – many customers assume the restaurant closes early, which in turn reduces sales.

“That makes us far more difficult, uncertainty,” Lezama said. “We have lost 80% of our business [during the coronavirus shutdown], and now it’s getting lower every day. “

See also  NASA, SpaceX launches astronauts from the US for the first time in a decade

He plans to open Versailles for dinner on Wednesday; now, because of the curfew, he is pushing the reopening to next week.

Although most restaurants close at the start of each curfew, some, such as large fast food chains, have maintained normal hours, or are nearing normal.

An employee at Domino’s Pizza in Venice said the pizza restaurant was open until 1 am for delivery and pickup. At McDonald’s in Torrance, the drive-through and lobby are both open 24 hours, although an employee at the nearest 24-hour location says the restaurant’s dining room will close at 7 pm.

Other chains vary in their plans, which appear to be determined by franchise operators. Taco Bell in Hollywood closes at 4 pm; the location in West L. is closed for the day.

Major food delivery platforms such as DoorDash, Grubhub, Postmates and Uber Eats turn off their services at night to fulfill local curfew orders.

Although the curfew excludes those who “travel to and from work,” some restaurant workers expressed concern at stopping the police on their way home.

At Versailles, Lezama said he had let employees leave early if needed, especially those who depend on public transportation.

Tirsa Nevarez of Tirsa’s Mexican Cafe, near Grand Park and City Hall, closed its restaurant on Sunday after employees raised safety concerns about working near protests in the city center.

“My employees and I are truly united. They told me if they did not feel safe and did not want to work, “Nevarez said.

Closing restaurants is not a decision that business owners take lightly, he said.

See also  McDonald's stopped planning to reopen the US amid coronavirus waves

“I have the majority of women employed, and they are currently the only one who has a job in their family,” he said. “All their husbands lost various jobs. They support their household now. “

Tirsa is usually busiest at night, so curfew has a significant effect on the restaurant’s bottom line.

“Our employees have lost their turn again,” Nevarez said. “These things hurt.”

At the same time the curfew mandate had become yet another curvature of the ball in what he described as a “whirlwind of chaos chaos.”

But he added that was a minor inconvenience considering the larger goals.

“We stood by the movement. We want to give them space to be heard now, “he said. “We’re just trying to navigate everyday life with this movement.”

Ria Barbosa, chef-owner of Petite Peso in downtown West 7th Street, said she makes decisions every day. During protests on Friday, the windows at Petite Peso were destroyed, totaling around $ 350 in damage, Barbosa said.

On Tuesday morning, he gathered his small restaurant crew to discuss whether to unload plywood sheets that were still covering the storefront and reopen for business.

“We surveyed the vibrations of the city center and decided to postpone. There is not much pedestrian traffic and everything is closed, “he said.” We’ll see how tomorrow is. “

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  The Cinema Caravan will tour the country to promote Portuguese cinema.
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Plateau, IILP multicenter projects and coincidences

Continue Reading

Trending