Connect with us

World

India’s coronavirus cases cross 3 million: Live updates | Coronavirus pandemic News

Published

on

India's coronavirus cases cross 3 million: Live updates | Coronavirus pandemic News
  • India is generating the highest number of daily new cases in the world for the last 18 days, with over 50,000 fresh cases everyday. 

  • More than 23.1 million people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 around the world, and more than 14.91 million have recovered. At least 804,400 people have died, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.
  • Mexico’s death toll has surpassed 60,000 – the third-highest in the world even as signs of hope emerge, with the government saying that the COVID-19 scourge is in “sustained decline”.

  • The new coronavirus is circulating four times more among people under 40 in France than among over-65-year-olds, France’s Health Minister Olivier Veran said as the country reported an additional 3,602 new COVID-19 cases .

Here are the latest updates:

Sunday, August 23

06:38 GMT – UK PM Johnson says failure to reopen schools not an option

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has told allies that “failure to reopen schools is not an option”, the Sunday Telegraph newspaper reported.

Earlier this month, Johnson said reopening schools in September was a social, economic and moral imperative, insisting schools would be able to operate safely despite the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Sunday Times reported this month that Johnson had ordered a public relations campaign to ensure schools open on time.

05:40 GMT – India surpasses 3 million COVID-19 cases

India’s coronavirus tally crossed the 3 million case mark, the country’s health ministry said.

The country crossed that mark just 16 days after the number of cases crossed 2 million.

An update released by the health ministry showed the death toll stands at 56,706. In the last 24 hours, the country recorded close to 70,000 new cases.

Ministry figures show the western state of Maharashtra reported the highest number of cases in the country.


Hello, this is Linah Alsaafin taking over from my colleague Ted Regencia.


04:45 GMT – Germany reports 782 new COVID-19 cases

Germany’s Robert Koch Institute, which is monitoring the spread of infectious diseases in the country, has reported on Sunday at least 782 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the country’s total to at least 232,864.

The country also reported two more deaths, bringing the total fatalities to 9,269.

At least 207,600 patients have recovered, which is equivalent to 89 percent recovery rate.

04:30 GMT- Australia’s Victoria reports another 208 new coronavirus infections

Australia’s state of Victoria reported another 208 new cases and 17 new deaths on Sunday.

Australia now has a total of more than 24,800 and 502 deaths, including 415 in Victoria.

But Victoria’s top health official, Peter Sutton, made an assurance that overall the situation remains positive, and that if the trend continues, he expects the daily numbers below 150 next week.

04:05 GMT – Italy links surge in new cases to vacationers from Sardinia

Confirmed cases increased from 947 on Friday to 1,071 on Saturday, with many infections confirmed in travelers who were tested as they disembarked from airplanes or ferries [Claudio Furlan/LaPresse via AP]

Vacationers returning to the Italian mainland from Sardinia helped push Italy’s daily new coronavirus caseload far past 1,000, reaching the high for the first time since early May.

Confirmed cases increased from 947 on Friday to 1,071 on Saturday, with many infections confirmed in travelers who were tested as they disembarked from airplanes or ferries.

Authorities in Lazio, the south-central region including Rome, say 45 percent of its 215 new cases Saturday were from people returning from Sardinia, where several clusters have been linked to discos or private parties on the posh Emerald Coast resort area.

While the average age of infection early in the outbreak hovered near 70, it’s now 30.

Italy has more than 258,000 confirmed cases. With three more deaths, the known total has reached 35,400.

03:40 GMT – China reports 12 new COVID-19 cases

China’s National Health Commission reported on Sunday at least 12 new confirmed coronavirus cases, bringing to over 89,600 the total number of infections.

The agency also said that the death toll since the outbreak started in the city of Wuhan stands at 4,634 with no new deaths.

According to the government, 422 patients remain in the hospital with 16 of them in critical condition.

02:15 GMT – South Korea reports highest daily COVID-19 cases since March

South Korea

Health authorities said many of the new cases were traced to a church in northern Seoul and a massive weekend rally also in the capital [Ahn Young-joon/AP]

South Korea’s daily new virus cases spiked to 397 on Sunday – the highest since March 7- as infections were reported in all major cities and provinces across the country, according to Yonhap news agency quoting the health ministry.

Of the new cases, 387 were local infections, 297 of them in Seoul and the surrounding areas, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

The country’s total caseload has risen to 17,399.

Health authorities said many of the new cases were traced to a church in northern Seoul and a massive weekend rally also in the capital.

The country, however, reported no new deaths, keeping its fatality at 309.

01:58 GMT – Mexico’s coronavirus deaths pass 60,000, cases top 550,000

Mexico coronavirus death toll has surpassed 60,000 after the country’s health ministry reported 644 additional fatalities.

The government also said that there were 6,482 new confirmed coronavirus infections as of the end of Saturday, bringing the total number of cases to 556,216 cases.

00:20 GMT – Coronavirus spreading four times more among 40-year-olds in France

The new coronavirus is circulating four times more among people under 40 in France than among over-65-year-olds, Reuters News Agency quoted France’s health minister as saying.

“We’re in a risky situation,” Olivier Veran said in an interview with France’s Journal Du Dimanche (JDD) published on Sunday, adding that the higher number of cases being detected was not solely down to more testing.

Like President Emmanuel Macron, Veran ruled out the need for another total lockdown to combat the spread of the disease. But he said localised measures could be taken as cases grow in France and elsewhere.

France reported a 3,602 spike in new COVID-19 infections over the past 24 hours on Saturday, a smaller rise than the previous day. Earlier in the week, however, the number of daily cases reached a post-lockdown high.

00:01 GMT – Brazil registers 50,032 new cases of coronavirus, 892 deaths in 24 hours

Brazil has reported 50,032 new cases of the novel coronavirus and 892 deaths from the disease caused by the virus in the past 24 hours, according to Reuters News Agency citing the health ministry.

Brazil has registered 3,582,362 cases of the virus since the pandemic began, while the official death toll from COVID-19 has risen to 114,250, according to ministry data from the world’s worst coronavirus outbreak outside the United States. 

 ______________________________________________________________

Hello and welcome to Al Jazeera’s continuing coverage of the coronavirus pandemic. I’m Ted Regencia in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 

For all the key developments from Saturday, August 22, go here.

See also  Ryanair flight to Faro makes an emergency landing in France
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Vladimir Putin has delayed the invasion of Ukraine at least three times.

Published

on

Putin has repeatedly consulted with Russian Chief of the General Staff Valery Gerasimov and Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu about the invasion, Europa Press told Ukraine’s chief intelligence director Vadim Skibitsky.

According to Skibitsky, it was the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB), which is responsible for counterintelligence and espionage work, that put pressure on Gerasimov and other military agencies to agree to launch an offensive. .

However, according to the Ukrainian intelligence services, the FSB considered that by the end of February sufficient preparations had already been made to guarantee the success of the Russian Armed Forces in a lightning invasion.

However, according to Kyiv, the Russian General Staff provided the Russian troops with supplies and ammunition for only three days, hoping that the offensive would be swift and immediately successful.

The head of Ukrainian intelligence also emphasized the cooperation of local residents, who always provided the Ukrainian authorities with up-to-date information about the Russian army, such as the number of soldiers or the exact location of troops.

The military offensive launched on February 24 by Russia in Ukraine caused at least 6.5 million internally displaced persons and more than 7.8 million refugees to European countries, which is why the UN classifies this migration crisis as the worst in Europe since World War II (1939-1945). gg.). ).

At the moment, 17.7 million Ukrainians are in need of humanitarian assistance, and 9.3 million are in need of food aid and housing.

The UN has presented as confirmed 6,755 civilian deaths and 10,607 wounded since the beginning of the war, stressing that these figures are much lower than the real ones.

See also  Multinational NATO exercises begin in Georgia - Newsroom

Continue Reading

World

Life sentence for former Swedish official for spying for Russia

Published

on

A Stockholm court on Monday sentenced a former Swedish intelligence officer to life in prison for spying for Russia, and his brother to at least 12 years in prison. In what is considered one of the most serious cases in Swedish counterintelligence history, much of the trial took place behind closed doors in the name of national security.

According to the prosecution, it was Russian military intelligence, the GRU, who took advantage of the information provided by the two brothers between 2011 and their arrest at the end of 2021.

Peyman Kia, 42, has held many senior positions in the Swedish security apparatus, including the army and his country’s intelligence services (Säpo). His younger brother, Payam, 35, is accused of “participating in the planning” of the plot and of “managing contacts with Russia and the GRU, including passing on information and receiving financial rewards.”

Both men deny the charges, and their lawyers have demanded an acquittal on charges of “aggravated espionage,” according to the Swedish news agency TT.

The trial coincides with another case of alleged Russian espionage, with the arrest of the Russian-born couple in late November in a suburb of Stockholm by a police team arriving at dawn in a Blackhawk helicopter.

Research website Bellingcat identified them as Sergei Skvortsov and Elena Kulkova. The couple allegedly acted as sleeper agents for Moscow, having moved to Sweden in the late 1990s.

According to Swedish press reports, the couple ran companies specializing in the import and export of electronic components and industrial technology.

See also  Pompeii continues to reveal secrets. Best-preserved human remains to date have been found in a Roman city - Current Events

The man was again detained at the end of November for “illegal intelligence activities.” His partner, suspected of being an accomplice, has been released but remains under investigation.

According to Swedish authorities, the arrests are not related to the trial of the Kia brothers.

Continue Reading

World

Ukraine admitted that Russia may announce a general mobilization

Published

on

“They can strengthen their positions. We understand that this can happen. At the same time, we do not rule out that they will announce a general mobilization,” Danilov said in an interview with the Ukrainska Pravda online publication.

Danilov believed that this mobilization would also be convened “to exterminate as many as possible” of Russian citizens, so that “they would no longer have any problems on their territory.”

In this sense, Danilov also reminded that Russia has not given up on securing control over Kyiv or the idea of ​​the complete “destruction” of Ukraine. “We have to be ready for anything,” he said.

“I want everyone to understand that [os russos] they have not given up on the idea of ​​destroying our nation. If they don’t have Kyiv in their hands, they won’t have anything in their hands, we must understand this,” continued Danilov, who also did not rule out that a new Russian offensive would come from “Belarus and other territories.” .

As such, Danilov praised the decision of many of its residents who chose to stay in the Ukrainian capital when the war broke out in order to defend the city.

“They expected that there would be panic, that people would run, that there would be nothing to protect Kyiv,” he added, referring to President Volodymyr Zelensky.

The military offensive launched on February 24 by Russia in Ukraine caused at least 6.5 million internally displaced persons and more than 7.8 million refugees to European countries, which is why the UN classifies this migration crisis as the worst in Europe since World War II (1939-1945). gg.). ).

See also  Pompeii continues to reveal secrets. Best-preserved human remains to date have been found in a Roman city - Current Events

At the moment, 17.7 million Ukrainians are in need of humanitarian assistance, and 9.3 million are in need of food aid and housing.

The Russian invasion, justified by Russian President Vladimir Putin on the need to “denazify” and demilitarize Ukraine for Russia’s security, was condemned by the international community at large, which responded by sending weapons to Ukraine and imposing political and economic sanctions on Russia.

The UN has presented as confirmed 6,755 civilian deaths and 10,607 wounded since the beginning of the war, stressing that these figures are much lower than the real ones.

Continue Reading

Trending