Connect with us

Top News

Coastal chaos threatens Europe as temperatures rise

Published

on

Coastal chaos threatens Europe as temperatures rise

(CNN) – By summer, temperatures began to rise in Europe, and residents were looking for their next vacation after months of being stuck at home under lock restrictions.

Just last week, European Union launch plan to “offer people the opportunity to get much needed rest, relaxation and fresh air,” which includes recommendations for opening internal borders, reviving rail, road, air and sea connections and reviving the hospitality sector to enhance tourism.

But authorities have struggled to deal with the influx of tourists and locals to one of the most coveted locations of the summer: the beach.

On Wednesday, only days after restrictions on the French lockdown subsided to open hundreds of beaches, northwestern Brittany prefecture Morbihan closes five beaches after “unacceptable behavior” and failure to comply with social distance measures.

People enjoy the beach in Barcelona, ​​Spain, Wednesday, May 20, 2020. Barcelona allows people to walk on the beach Wednesday, for the first time since the start of the corona virus locking more than two months ago.

Emilio Morenatti / AP

Meanwhile, authorities in the Dutch coastal province of Zeeland on Wednesday temporarily closed roads to the city for every weekend until June 1 due to good weather forecasts and hopes that emergency measures could be violated.

Summer – but with more rules

Travel expert Tony Johnston told CNN that when summer comes, people are bound to travel to beauty places such as beaches, whether in their own country or further away.

He said that the authorities need to prepare a clear strategy to deal with the influx of tourists and overcrowding when the holiday season starts.

See also  How coronavirus makes better bosses

“Whether it appears this weekend or mid-July it will definitely emerge – it is inevitable that we will have good weather at some point across the continent and problems will arise,” said Johnston, head of the Athlone Institute of Technology’s Technology department. hospitality, tourism and recreation.

He said that instead of imposing a direct ban on tourism, the authorities would do their best to encourage good behavior on the beach, noting that the closure would only “encourage problems elsewhere.

Local authorities in several countries have begun to develop guidelines on how they will reopen busy beaches.

Following one of the tighter lockouts in Europe, Spanish tourism minister Reyes Maroto to the local newspaper El Pais said that the country “determines a different scenario” for beach visitors.
Spanish police ask people who sunbathe to leave Barceloneta beach in Barcelona on May 20, 2020 for hours permitted by the government to exercise.

Spanish police ask people who sunbathe to leave Barceloneta beach in Barcelona on May 20, 2020 for hours permitted by the government to exercise.

Lluis Gene / AFP / Getty Images

“We have to guarantee, when international tourism is opened, that people who come to Spain are safe people,” Maroto recently told the local newspaper El Pais.

“About how you can enjoy our beach, we have determined a different scenario,” he said.

In Sanxenxo, Galicia, cleaning machines will become a regular feature on the beach, and public bathrooms and shower areas will be disinfected regularly.

Authorities in several French prefectures, such as Landes in the Nouvelle Aquitaine region of France have so far committed to open beaches only for “dynamic individual physical activity.”

Johnston told CNN that with so many regions – especially in Spain, Italy, France and Greece – that are financially dependent on tourism, officials must be interested in encouraging safe tourism, and must have policies to promote good hygiene in public areas. like bathrooms and restaurants. .

See also  Musical Lin-Manuel Miranda Comes to Streaming

“We have around 330 million people working in tourism. There will be a challenge between satisfying the needs and desires of tourists, along with the economic impact of tourism, on the overall situation of Covid,” he said.

Changes in behavior

As the weather warms up, experts also worry that compliance with social distance guidelines may have begun to slip. In ongoing research, researchers from University College London found that less than 50% respondents under 30 meet “fully” with lock rules.

Susan Michie, professor of health psychology at UCL, told CNN that evidence from long-term quarantine situations from all over the world has shown that lack of compliance is often caused by boredom, frustration, depression, and anxiety.

“If you think about that psychology, you weigh the pros and cons of staying indoors compared to going outside. The argument against going outside and meeting friends is that we still have a pandemic and this virus transmits very easily,” he said.

He added that the better the weather, the more people would come out.

“But after saying that, the transmission of the virus very much occurs indoors, not outside. So actually outside is relatively safe – people gather indoors. That’s a real problem,” he added.

People enjoy the hot weather on the beach when the locking action due to a coronavirus outbreak subsides, in Brighton, England, Thursday, May 21.

People enjoy the hot weather on the beach when the locking action due to a coronavirus outbreak subsides, in Brighton, England, Thursday, May 21.

Gareth Fuller / AP

In order for people to adhere to social distance guidelines, there needs to also be a high level of public concern about Covid-19, and trust in the authorities, he said.

See also  Trump news live: Hottest 2020 election and Twitter updates as president claims ‘shouldn’t be hard’ for Kanye West to siphon votes from Biden

The government, he said, must be clear, precise, and consistent with sending messages this summer. “You know exactly who is allowed to do what, when, where and how.”

The risk of the second wave

Virus deaths may be reduced every day in many European countries, but experts warn that the continent could risk a second wave if they do not tread carefully.

Paul Hunter, a professor of health protection at the University of East Anglia, UK, told CNN that the risk of transmission of the virus outside the home remains low, but encourages social distance and cleanliness, such as regular hand washing.

The risk of spreading the virus will depend on how many people visit the tourist hotspot, and how they act when they get there, he said.

Referring to Britain, which has seen a decline in the number of officially recorded deaths in the last few days, he said: “We have seen new cases drop dramatically over the past three, four weeks, if it is no longer really, and therefore, may not be there is an actual risk associated with the personal level.

“However, if we see an increase in cases again and people flap themselves like sardines on the beach or in the surrounding pubs and restaurants and things like that, then the risk is quite high,” he warned.

“The danger is that when we open, we can actually start moving to the second wave,” he added.

CNN Eva Tapiero, Sophie Stuber, Mick Krever, Al Goodman, Tamara Hardingham-Gill contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Musical Lin-Manuel Miranda Comes to Streaming

Continue Reading

Trending