Connect with us

Top News

California broke the coronavirus record. Gathering at home can trigger spread

Published

on

California broke the coronavirus record. Gathering at home can trigger spread

The virus is spreading at private meetings in homes, and more young people are testing positive, Governor Gavin Newsom said on Wednesday. Infection in several prisons raises concerns.

“California has legal responsibilities and obligations and vice versa to enforce those laws,” Newsom said, adding that he could use “the power of the wallet” to do so. “That will be an exception and we hope we don’t have to trigger it.”

The state broke the record on Tuesday with an increase of more than 7,000 cases a day, obliterating the record reached the day before, when more than 5,000 new cases were recorded, officials reported Wednesday.

The state’s positivity rate – how many people tested positive compared to the total number tested – has also increased in recent days, such as hospitalization, which has risen by almost 30% in two weeks, the governor said.

The governor points to family gatherings

Newsom chided residents who held private events at their homes, including family gatherings, children’s play dates and birthday parties.

“Many of us seem to have cabin fever. Some of us, I think, develop a little amnesia. Others have just honestly lowered their guard,” the governor said on Wednesday.

“People are mingling and that is increasing the spread of the virus,” he added.

The governor’s words echoed reports from several parts of the country where health officials linked a number of new cases to family gatherings.

In Northern California, Shasta County Health and Human Services reported Tuesday some people tested positive for the virus after attending a graduation party.
Earlier this month, county reported nearly 20 people were in quarantine after a man in his 20s who tested positive for the virus attended a large family gathering. Some quarantined people have symptoms, officials said.
Sacramento County, “so far” recorded the highest one-day increase this week, with 131 new cases, the county said on Facebook Tuesday. Contact tracers determined that most new cases were related to “meetings between friends and extended family,” the county said.

“Avoid meeting at home with people who don’t live in the same house,” local officials wrote.

See also  A fence goes up in Chicago right after the mayor scolded people gathered at Montrose Beach front

Cases in younger people

The governor also noted an increase in the number of young people who tested positive for the virus.

“There is a feeling that many young people, both of you are young so you feel a little more invincible but, with respect, often that can be a selfish mindset,” Newsom said.

Even if younger people may not show many symptoms, they are still spreading the virus.

“And they can spread it to people who can’t handle the virus like younger, healthier people,” he said.

The governor’s warning is in accordance with that made by leaders of cities and other US states – including throughout the South – who say more and more young people are testing positive.

Officials across the country have pointed to parties, bars and other gatherings as the venue for the spread.

It is unclear whether the protests impacted

Because of the high volume of incoming cases, officials have not been able to “determine whether the source of the right exposure is a protest,” said Los Angeles County Health Director, Dr. Barbara Ferrer.

“I want to say that it’s very possible, given the increasing numbers we see that some of these are actually people who might be in a crowded situation in one of the protests where there is spread,” Ferrer said.

CNN has contacted the district health department for further details.

The state health department said last weekend there was not enough data to “assess the impact of the recent protests.”

In San Francisco, officials said several testing sites offering free testing did not ask people to be tested whether they had recently participated in a demonstration.

See also  Portuguese conductor Luis Duarte dies - News

And in Alameda District, spokesman Neetu Balram said in a statement there was still no “clear correlation between protest activities and an increase in testing or positive cases.”

“We monitor our data constantly to inform our guidelines and reopen actions. We encourage anyone who protests to be tested,” the statement said.

Some prisons are cause for concern

Following reporters’ questions during his press conference, Newsom also cited a number of prisons as a matter of state.

One of them – the San Quentin State Prison – has more than 450 inmates who have tested positive. About 42% of detainees at the facility are medically vulnerable, Newsom said.

And according to data from the state’s correction department, 433 new cases at the facility came in the past two weeks.

The governor said the state recently submitted a plan to the court to ask a number of prisoners approaching their release date to be released from prison early, to help reduce the population of the facility.

The process will begin July 1 and will be accelerated for facilities such as San Quentin, Newsom said.

Twenty prisoners have died throughout the state prison system and there are more than 1,800 currently positive, according to the report data from the California correction department.

Cheri Mossburg and Jon Passantino from CNN contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  Portuguese couple detained in Maldives for not receiving a certificate of recovery from COVID-19. "Now there is a light at the end of the tunnel" - Observer.
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  CNN's Van Jones reportedly helped craft Trump's police reform

Continue Reading

Trending