Connect with us

Top News

Trump announced the end of US relations with the World Health Organization

Published

on

Twitter puts warning label on Trump and White House tweets

“Because they have failed to carry out the reforms that are requested and urgently needed, we will today sever our relations with the World Health Organization and divert these funds to other world-wide and viable, urgent global public health needs,” Trump said.

The president said that “the world needs an answer from China about the virus. We must have transparency.”

Earlier in his remarks, Trump said that China had not properly reported information about coronaviruses to the World Health Organization and said China had pressured WHO to “mislead the world.”

“Chinese officials are ignoring their reporting obligations to the World Health Organization and pressuring the World Health Organization to mislead the world when the virus was first discovered by Chinese authorities,” Trump said. “Countless lives have been taken and deep economic difficulties have been caused throughout the world.”

The president previously announced the temporary suspension of funding for WHO and sent a letter to an earlier agency in May saying that the US would permanently withdraw funds if WHO did not “commit to major substantive improvements within the next 30 days.”

In the letter, Trump included a false description of when information about the virus was published in The Lancet, prompting prestigious medical journals to openly refute his claims.

Trump’s decision to permanently sever US relations with WHO follows a pattern of skepticism from world organizations for years, with the President claiming in almost every circumstance that the US is being utilized.

The president has questioned US funding for the United Nations and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, withdrew from the Paris climate agreement and repeatedly criticized the World Trade Organization.

See also  NYPD police are suspended for being caught on a chokehold camera in Queens

He also blamed China for taking advantage of the US, pointing to the country for taking US jobs and, now, failing to stop the spread of the corona virus to the US.

Meanwhile, Trump has largely given himself and his government a warm welcome to the handling of a pandemic, although Covid-19 tested errors and national supply shortages when they were most needed.
WHO has been criticized for relying on official Chinese government figures related to the virus, a number that many officials doubt is accurate. They also received criticism for a January 14 tweet that noted that initial investigations by Chinese authorities found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the corona virus.
Critics also question whether WHO is sufficiently independent, given China’s increasing wealth and power. They showed WHO’s exaggerated praise for China’s response to the coronavirus pandemic. Organizational officials have defended their initial actions when it comes to fighting the corona virus, noting that much was unknown about the virus in January.
The President has also said that if WHO acts properly, it can institutionalize travel bans for people who come from China more quickly.

But health experts and world leaders have expressed concern over the organization’s deforestation amid a pandemic.

In April, more than 1,000 organizations and individuals including charities, medical experts, and health care companies from around the world signed a letter urging the Trump government to reverse direction and maintain funding.

And when Trump issued his letter in May, European leaders – including European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen – delivered a message of support for WHO while speaking at the World Health Assembly.

See also  The Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2020 entry is the laughter we all need today

“This pandemic has highlighted our vulnerability and explained that we need each other,” said Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez. “That’s why more than ever we must unite.”

This story has been updated with additional developments and contexts.

Paul LeBlanc from CNN, Kylie Atwood, Amanda Watts and Veronica Stracqualursi contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  The Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2020 entry is the laughter we all need today

Continue Reading

Trending