Connect with us

Top News

Steelers’ Mike Tomlin supports NFL diversity incentives

Published

on

Steelers' Mike Tomlin supports NFL diversity incentives

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin used the unexpected to declare his support for changing the NFL Rooney Rules.

Tomlin spoke Monday with the Kentucky basketball coach “Coffee with Cal” John Calipari.

The NFL is exploring ideas to allow teams that employ minority head coaches or general managers to move up in order for future drafts.

According to ESPN, Tomlin told Calipari, “We always take it from an approach, a penalty if you do not interview minority candidates or things like that. I just like a different approach in turning it around 180 and talking about maybe giving incentives to those who develop talent and those who employ talent. “

The NFL formed Rooney Rule in 2003, which required teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching work. In 2009, the league added the same conditions for senior football operations.

Last week, the Rooney Rules were expanded again, requiring the team to interview at least two external minority candidates for chief training vacancies, and at least one external minority candidate for vacancies in the offensive coordinator, defense coordinator, general manager and senior soccer operations roles.

The NFL made another rule change last week, with the team no longer allowed to block assistant coaches from interviews for coordinator positions. The move is seen as a positive thing for minority candidates who want to gain experience.

The league submitted a resolution that would see the team move up 10 places in the third round of the draft towards the second year under the newly recruited minority GM. For the newly recruited minority head coach, the team will get a six-spot jump in the third round of conscription before the second season.

See also  Benfica win at home and stay on top of the Portuguese; Porto wins and follows suit

If a team hires minority head coaches and GMs in the same year, the increase will be 16 places in the third round – potentially into the second round.

Tomlin did not say he agreed with the proposed letter of change, only enthusiasm.

Tomlin joined Los Angeles Chargers Anthony Anthony Lynn, Miami Dolphins ‘Brian Flores and Ron Redskins’ who had just been hired by Washington Rivera as the only head coach of the NFL minority.

“We made some adjustments because we recognize now that the system is broken, that minorities don’t get enough opportunities,” Tomlin told Calipari, according to ESPN. “And we are trying to find ways to stimulate it. … I agree it is debatable about the value placed on incentive plans, but I generally like discussions.”

Last week, Lynn told CBS Radio about the choice incentive plan, “I think sometimes you can do the wrong thing when trying to do the right thing.”

Tony Dungy, the first African-American to win the Super Bowl as head coach, said last week of the draft-pick proposal, “I don’t personally think that’s the right thing to do. … I have never supported people who give awards for doing the right thing. So I think there will be some undesirable consequences. “

Tomlin and Calipari touched on other topics, including the potential for football to be played this fall without fans in the stands because of the coronavirus pandemic.

“I’m really interested in emotions [impact] at those important times, and see and feel what that means, “said Tomlin, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader.

See also  I might skip the NBA restart if it's healthy

Tomlin is not a fan of holding a recent offseason team meeting online.

“You don’t get the feeling you get when you teach someone,” he said, according to the Herald-Leader. “You sit in a room with them, and you feel their body language. [You sense] ‘Yes, that person understands. “

They also turned their attention to the upcoming Kentucky college basketball season, with Calipari telling Tomlin, in the newspaper, “My concern now … is that I have one player who returned from last year.”

Tomlin reportedly laughed, “You like the challenge.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Meet Road 96, a procedural adventure entirely in Portuguese

Continue Reading

Trending