Connect with us

Top News

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the league was wrong for not listening to previous players about racism

Published

on

LeBron James calls out Fox News host Laura Ingraham for defense of Drew Brees

Goodell posted a video to NFL social media on Friday in response to the video “Stronger Together,” which featured some of the most famous league players asking the league to take a strong stance after George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis.

“We are the National Football League, condemning racism and systematic oppression of black people,” Goodell said. “We, the National Football League, admit that we are wrong for not listening to NFL players before and encourage all to speak out and protest peacefully,” Goodell said.

Goodell did not mention former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who faced a counterattack from the league and others for kneeling before the match while the National Anthem played to protest police brutality.

No team has offered a contract to Kaepernick since 2017, which has been widely linked to his protest. Kaepernick accused the NFL team owner of colluding so he was not signed. The NFL denied collusion but in 2019 they reached a settlement with Kaepernick and former teammate Eric Reid, who knelt with him.

Goodell said he would reach out to players and others who have talked about this issue to see “how we can improve and advance for a better and more unified NFL family.” It is unclear whether that includes Kaepernick. CNN has contacted Kaepernick for comment.

However, Nessa Diab, Kaepernick’s partner and radio DJ in New York, respond to Goodell on Twitter: “And you, @ nflcommimsh, STILL have @ Kaepernick7 playing black for peaceful protest.”
Goodell noted that this was a difficult time for the country, especially black Americans, and expressed condolences to the Floyd family, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and “all families who have experienced police brutality.”

“Without black players there would be no National Football League,” Goodell said. “And protests across the country are a symbol of the age of silence of inequality and the oppression of black players, coaches, fans and staff.”

The video by NFL stars was released on Thursday and featured the following players: Davante Adams, Jamal Adams, Saquon Barkley, Anthony Barr, Odell Beckham Jr., Ezekiel Elliott, Stephon Gilmore, DeAndre Hopkins, Eric Kendricks, Jarvis Landry, Marshon Lattimore, Patrick Mahomes, Tyrann Mathieu, Patrick Peterson, Sterling Shepard, Michael Thomas, Deshaun Watson and Chase Young.

In the video, the players, speaking in unison, said: “So on behalf of the National Football League, this is what we players want to hear you declare. We, the National Football League, condemn racism and systemic oppression of black people. We, the National Football League, admit to mistakes in silencing our players from peaceful protests. We, the National Football League, believe that black life is important. “

LeBron James called Fox News host Laura Ingraham for defending Drew Brees

Goodell’s response came after nearly a year of partnership with Jay-Z’s Roc Nation. This partnership forms the Responsibility Program, an initiative that provides educational grants to families who have been affected by injustice through the United States. This program has made several public service announcements that have been released, one of which features Meek Mill and Dreamchasers.

See also  Four questions and answers about João Rendeiro's escape from Portuguese justice - society

A spokesman for the Nire’s Inspire Change program told CNN that the Legacy Grant Program was recently launched and that three grants had been given to families of victims of police brutality: Botham Jean, Antwon Rose II and Danroy “DJ” Henry.

Goodell’s statement follows a statement from New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who said earlier this week that he “would never agree with anyone who doesn’t respect the flag.” Brees commented when asked his opinion about players kneeling to protest police brutality after the NFL season began this fall.

Since then he apologized for “insensitive” comments after receiving criticism from his own teammates and other athletes.

CNN’s Faith Karimi contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Four questions and answers about João Rendeiro's escape from Portuguese justice - society

Continue Reading

Trending