Connect with us

Top News

New York Times opinion editor James Bennet resigned after backliding

Published

on

Retired general: Sen. Tom Cotton couldn't be more wrong

Sulzberger also said that Jim Dao, a deputy editor of the editorial page who had publicly assumed responsibility for supervising the manuscript, would step down from the letter head and be moved to the newsroom. Katie Kingsbury, deputy editor of another editorial page, will oversee the editorial page through the 2020 election.

Tectonic restructuring closed a week of turmoil in state records, with staff involved in debates about the publication of Cotton that was op-ed and grilling The Times’s leadership of the process that led to it.

“Although this was a painful week throughout the company, it has triggered an urgent and important conversation,” Sulzberger wrote to employees in a memo announcing the changes.

A piece of Cotton, published Wednesday under the title “Send Soldiers,” argues that the Rebellion Act could be used to mobilize militaries across the country to help local law enforcement with riots triggered by George Floyd’s death.

The op-ed was published in the opinion section of The Times, but staff from both opinions and the newsroom – which operate separately from each other – publicly disagreed.

Bennet initially defended the op-ed, but later said it was wrong to publish it and blamed failure in the editorial process for the error.

“Last week we saw a significant disruption in our editing process, not the first we have experienced in recent years,” Sulzberger said in a Sunday memo, referring to another major turmoil that has been seen by the opinion section under Bennet’s leadership. “James and I agreed that a new team would be needed to lead the department through a period of considerable change.”

See also  outside of United's pre-season, the Portuguese is looking for clubs

Bennet initially defended the op-ed, but later said it was wrong to publish it and blamed failure in the editorial process for the error.

Sulzberger’s announcement that Bennet would leave staff shocked, people familiar with internal conversations at The Times told CNN Business.

One Times staff said the episode had encouraged meaningful talk about systemic racial bias and diversity in the editorial room. The person said such conversations had gone deeper than just ensuring diverse staff and had been on greater issues about race and The Times’s role in society.

At the town hall with employees on Friday, Sulzberger and Bennet both said the operation process was inadequate at the moment and had structural problems, someone who was on the phone told CNN Business.

“Last week we saw a significant disruption in our editing process, not the first we have experienced in recent years,” Sulzberger writes on Sundays, referencing another major disaster that occurred in the opinion section under Bennet’s leadership. “James and I agreed that a new team would be needed to lead the department through a period of considerable change.”

Bennet’s tenure has been marked by a series of major mistakes.

The Times’s opinion section was left shaken in September after fumbling with stories about alleged sexual violations against Chief Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

Vertical opinions faced the heat of last summer for the action of columnist Bret Stephens.

And last April, the opinion section apologized after publishing an anti-Semitic cartoon in its international edition.

The latest disaster resulted in criticism from Republicans who argued that the newspaper showed bias towards them.

See also  Detroit firefighter veteran located useless after diving into river to save 3 younger ladies

Cotton sharply criticized The Times for saying its op-ed did not meet standards, noting that Bennet initially defended op-ed. Cotton told Fox News that the newspaper had surrendered to the “hordes of children who had awakened.”

“My operation does not meet New York Times standards,” Cotton said. “That far exceeds the standard of those who are usually full of left-wing crap, sophomoric.”

President Trump on Sunday responded to the news by attacking the newspaper in a tweet.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  ‘Never use chokehold: 'The NYPD warned the police about the new law after the first officer was charged

Continue Reading

Trending