Connect with us

Top News

Memorial Day is even more heartbreaking for veteran relatives in the midst of coronavirus

Published

on

Memorial Day is even more heartbreaking for veteran relatives in the midst of coronavirus

Memorial Day is becoming increasingly heartbreaking amid coronavirus.

With most countries confined, relatives who were late military veterans were allowed to respect their relatives without the support of traditional parades or the memories of grave groups.

And for some veteran families, contagion will not only prevent special public warnings on Monday, but also what actually kills their loved ones.

“Veterans should be treated, and they don’t. This is despicable,” said Rosemarie Rado, whose father, Korean War veteran Daniel Rado, 92, died of COVID-19 at Paramus Veterans Home in New Jersey about three weeks ago.

The government-run nursing home has become a famous epicenter for the virus in the country, with at least 79 deaths from the corona virus.

Louise Lombardi, 61, from Baldwin, LI, said she usually participates every year in the Across America Flags event, where volunteers place small Old Glories on tombstones in military cemeteries for holidays.

But this year, because of social rules that keep away from deadly pandemics, he wore a mask on Sunday – and personally stuck a flag to the ground in his father’s grave, World War II veterinarian Joseph Lombardi, at the Long Island National Cemetery in Farmingdale.

“There are many veterinarians there today who are disappointed because this event cannot take place,” Lombardi told The Post of the Flag-Group.

“For the people we remember, things don’t matter to them,” said the Long Island woman, whose father died 55 years ago. “They still have to fight for our freedom.

“Nothing is locked for them.”

See also  WH's advisor Peter Navarro called Obama "Biden's press secretary"
Louise Lombardi respected his father with his fiancé Dan Bailey.
Louise Lombardi respected his father with his fiancé Dan Bailey.Photo by Al Bello / Getty Images

Kristie Espinal’s 94-year-old grandfather, Joseph Guagenti, a Purple Heart recipient from Queens who served in World War II, died of suspected coronavirus at the end of April.

He said the holiday would be very difficult this year due to the death of his grandfather – and the lack of public meetings to honor heroes like him.

“They usually hold a small Memorial Day parade in our neighborhood, but unfortunately, it was canceled,” said Espinal, who is like her grandfather from Howard Beach.

“So [Monday], we will respect other veterans who are still alive and 99 years old, and people will drive and pass his house because he is stuck at home and very sad.

“I will take my two sons … [and] in honor of Grampa, we will pass, we will wave. What else can you do? ” she says.

Espinal, 38, said that fortunately, his grandfather was laid in a mausoleum, and his family was still able to visit the site.

“I cannot imagine being told that you cannot go and see your loved ones at this time, when you want to remember, ” he said of other families and their friends who had been told not to gather in large groups on grave sites .

“They play a very important role for this country, and not being able to respect them as they should be respected is terrible,” he said of late service members. “For me, veterans are No. 1. ‘

See also  Following are Trump's first tweets after the decision

Arnold Haber’s son, Mitchel, whose Bronx-born father served in the Korean War and died of a corona virus in the Paramus nursing home in April, told The Post that veterans still living at the facility must despair because of a devastated holiday.

“This is their vacation, and there is no one there to celebrate,” he said.

On a regular Remembrance Day, “We will be in a nursing home throwing a party. They always have a great party, with entertainment, “said Mitchel Haber.

“They didn’t do it this year because of a virus,” he said.

“That [veterans] who remember, they look forward to this day. That would be very quiet for them. ‘

His son added that his father was very proud of his ministry and would wear an American flag baseball cap every day and fly the flag on his wheelchair.

“He is a staff photographer for his unit. … He will always tell stories, he remembers everything, “Mitchel said.

“He could not get military forces because of a pandemic,” his son said. “But it will be” something he will love. “

Another Paramus veteran home resident and veteran, Robert Hopp, died of COVID-19 in April.

Vietnam War veterinarian and 70 year old Purple Heart recipient.

His family said they did not know how they would commemorate his heroism on this Remembrance Day.

“We haven’t even been able to hold a funeral for him,” J.J’s stepson. Said Brania-Hopp. “Actually there is nothing we can do at this time. All we might do is talk about him, maybe walk in the sun. “

See also  Hot Property: Mariners' Jay Buhner sells real estate near Seattle

According to the federal Veterans Affairs Department, more than 1,000 veterans have died from viruses throughout the country – although that number does not include hundreds who surrendered to facilities such as the Paramus nursing home.

With AP

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Hot Property: Mariners' Jay Buhner sells real estate near Seattle

Continue Reading

Trending