Connect with us

Top News

Madeleine McCann’s parents believe that the new suspect could be “very significant”

Published

on

A picture released by the McCann family on May 24, 2007 shows missing British girl Madeleine McCann on May 3, 2007.

Kate and Gerry McCann’s daughters were only three years old when she disappeared from their holiday apartment in the Praia da Luz resort, Portugal, on May 3, 2007, sparking an international hunt. He was never found, and no one has ever been charged with his disappearance.

On Wednesday, police in Britain and Germany identified a new suspect as a 43-year-old German man. The British authorities described the development as “a significant new path of investigation”, while German authorities revealed the suspect had previously been convicted of children who sexually abused.

Family spokesman Clarence Mitchell said Thursday that the British and German police appeals were “the first time in more than 13 years that I remember [police] focus on one individual “.

“Kate and Gerry feel that is potentially very significant,” Mitchell told BBC radio. “This is another important chapter in finding their daughter,” he added.

German Prosecutor’s Office Braunschweig, in the state of Lower-Saxony, said in a statement Wednesday that the suspect is currently serving a “long” prison sentence “for unrelated problems.” He is now under investigation for “possible murder” in connection with McCann, the office said.

On Thursday, State Attorney’s Office spokesman Hans Christian Wolters told CNN that his office considered McCann dead. Wolters said they would not elaborate on what evidence they had to support this because this was an ongoing investigation.

Wolters also explained that if the investigation leads to indictment and trial, the suspect will be tried in Germany, because murder is a criminal offense in Germany, as is the case in Portugal, independently where the crime was committed.

See also  Following are Trump's first tweets after the decision

In the German crime settlement program “Aktenzeichen XY Unsolved” at the ZDF public broadcasting station, Wednesday night, Christian Hoppe of the German Federal Criminal Investigation Office said no bodies were found but “the investigation of the Federal Criminal Investigation Office instead led to the assumption that McCann had been the victim of a murder . “

In a statement sent to CNN on Wednesday, the missing girl’s parents thanked “the police forces involved for their ongoing efforts in searching for Madeleine.”

“All we want is to find it, uncover the truth and bring those responsible to justice. We will never give up hoping to find Madeleine alive but whatever the outcome, we need to know because we need to find peace.”

Mitchell, in his interview with BBC Radio 4, underlined that although the German police classified it as an investigation of a murder, the British police still treated it as a missing person case.

“A British citizen is still missing and British police are struggling to say there is no evidence at all that he has been harmed, is dead, or is still alive so they really keep an open mind about it,” he explained. .

The suspect had lived in the Algarve region of Portugal from 1995 to 2007, and also lived in a house in Praia de Luz, the resort town where McCann disappeared, according to the Braunschweig prosecutor’s office.

Police said the suspect had access to this campervan and was used in and around the Praia da Luz area.

London Metropolitan Police on Wednesday also revealed details of two cars linked to the suspect around the time of the disappearance, and asked the public to step forward with information about them.

See also  This may be the right time to look at police reform

“The first vehicle is a typical VW T3 Westfalia campervan. This is a model of the early 1980s, with two-colored markings, a white upper body and yellow edges. The vehicle has a Portuguese registration plate,” a British statement said.

“The suspect has access to this van from at least April 2007 until around May 2007. It is used in and around the Praia da Luz area.”

“The second vehicle is the 1993 British Jaguar, XJR 6 model, with a German number plate and registered in Germany,” the statement added. “This car is believed to have been in Praia da Luz and its surroundings in 2006 and 2007. The car was originally registered under the name of the suspect. On May 4, 2007, the day after Madeleine’s disappearance, the car was re-registered to someone else in Germany.”

Asked if this might be another example of a real breakthrough that did not produce anything, Mitchell accepted that there were “lots of quotes, hints, rumors, assumptions” that “all was sad in vain”. “But as I said, in my memory about being involved in this case, the police were never as specific about someone as they were in this appeal,” he continued.

Police said the Jaguar was originally registered under the name of the suspect but the day after Madeleine's disappearance, the car was registered back to someone else in Germany.

Kate and Gerry McCann did not do the interview because they wanted to remain focused on police requests for information around the telephone numbers and cars used by this new suspect, Mitchell added.

The Metropolitan Police began reviewing McCann’s disappearance in 2011, in a large-scale investigation known as Operation Grange which cost at least £ 11.75 million ($ 14.7) in June 2019.

See also  The new US record for the highest number of one-day coronavirus cases in Florida

“After the tenth anniversary, Met received information about a German man known to have been in and around Praia da Luz. We have worked with colleagues in Germany and Portugal and this man is a suspect in the disappearance of Madeleine,” Chief Detective Inspector Mark Cranwell said in a statement on Wednesday.

British authorities offer a £ 20,000 (around $ 25,000) prize for information that leads to penalties for those responsible.

Fred Pleitgen on Berlin CNN, Mia Alberti in Lisbon, Zamira Rahim, Max Ramsay, Milena Veselinovic and Isa Soares in London contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Portuguese League of Legends professional player has created his own brand

Continue Reading

Trending