Connect with us

Top News

Lonely Venice contemplates a future without hordes of tourists after Covid-19

Published

on

Lonely Venice contemplates a future without hordes of tourists after Covid-19

Venice, Italy (CNN) – A few days before Italy was set to lift restrictions in most of the country after being locked since March 10, the streets of Venice began to revive.

There are no tourists here yet. Instead the noise came from a vacuum cleaner and sanitation crew inside the shop who were preparing to reopen on May 18.

But even as the shop owner prepares for anything that looks like a locked Venice, everyone in this quiet tourist town asks the same question: who are they reopening?

Every year, as many as 30 million tourists from around the world go to Venice, pumping up to $ 2.5 billion into the local economy, according to the Italian Ministry of Tourism.

But few Italians, who have never been attracted to a lagoon city like the rest of the world, according to Matteo Secchi, head of the Venessia tour group, said Venice always attracts more international tourists than national ones.

“When the city reopens next week, it will remain as it is now,” he told CNN in Venice, which was empty this week. “Tourists will not really start again until the borders are reopened and international travel is permitted.”

Not everyone wants to go back to business as usual.

Jane da Mosto, who heads the We Are Here Venice nonprofit group, has struggled to make policymakers understand the benefits of sustainable tourism for the city by launching a campaign to safeguard large-scale cruise ships from historic ports and study options to prevent flooding such as cities experiencing seasons last fall.

He saw the pandemic as a turning point for the city, and imagined a new Venice to emerge in the post-pandemic world.

“The new Venice I dream of after this is like now, only with more residents,” he told CNN in an interview in Venice. “The problem for Venice is not the lack of tourists, it is the lack of permanent residents. And with more residents, the city will better reflect the culture of Venice and the beautiful lifestyle that this extraordinary city has to offer and future visitors to the city will be able to enjoy Venice more. “

See also  Cristiano Ronaldo fell victim to a coup by millionaires, Portuguese newspaper reports

Funeral for Venice

Bad past – tourists have blackmailed people out of the city.

MIGUEL MEDINA / AFP / Getty Images

In many ways, Venice has recently become a victim of its own popularity in the deteriorating struggle between overtourism, driven by the popularity and affordability of yachts and low-cost air travel, and the continuing decline of local residents who have fled from tourists. invasion in record numbers.

Venice’s population has declined from 175,000 after World War II to more than 52,000 today.

The Secchi group even helped hold a funeral for Venice in 2009 when its population fell below 60,000. Things have worsened since then.

“This virus shows how tourism has slaughtered the population,” said Secchi, who is also in the hospitality industry. “When the city is locked and only Venice is here, you can see how few we are.”

Last summer, an inner struggle with mass tourism surfaced when the government, worried about the ecological effects of mass tourism on city canals, threatened to ban cruise ships from entering the historic port via St. Mark’s Square, which is a highlight on the Venice porta call.

That is a difficult choice for Venice because large cruise ship terminals employ thousands. The plan was finally canceled when the government fell in August, but the city was left with a difficult choice: to continue as before and risk destroying the city completely.

Then, on February 25, Covid-19 did what Venice couldn’t do: make everything stop.

When the spread of the virus turned the surrounding Veneto area into a hotspot, the annual Carnival celebration was canceled for the first time.

See also  TVCine FEST: Portuguese cinema at the opening

“The surprise of canceling Carnival really woke everyone up,” Secchi said. “It’s like pulling out a carpet.”

Turning point

Some in Venice want to promote

Some in Venice want to promote “slow” tourism rather than mass tourism.

Pictures of Marco Di Lauro / Getty

Many people in Venice now see this pandemic as an opportunity to do what the city government failed to do in the past: rethink mass tourism and try to create a new type of sustainable tourism for a fragile city.

Melissa Conn, director of the Venice Save Venice office, an American cultural heritage group that works to preserve the city’s vast cultural heritage through conservation grants, sees the pandemic as a turning point. “We use this time in a positive way,” he told CNN in Venice.

They are moving forward between 30 and 40 urgent projects to help after Venice suffered a historic flood last year.

This group usually has to work around tourists, but in their absence, they can work less.

“What will happen later is slow tourism, not mass tourism anymore,” Conn said. “We are confident that we can rebuild, rebuild, and rethink Venice, concentrating on helping the city withhold elements and tourism.”

Conn knew that attracting the sort of mass tourism experienced by Venice in recent years would cause some businesses to close.

“We will see empty shops,” he said. “We need to rethink Venice, to take it to the next level.”

But he is not just talking about designer shops and luxury goods. “We don’t want it to be Monte Carlo,” he said. “We need to focus on the Made in Venice brand, to promote local craftsmen and restore Venice and offer a better quality of life to the people who live here and who visit.”

See also  Youtuber Luccas Neto will dub the series in Portuguese from Portugal

He also saw an opportunity in the emptiness caused by the absence of mass tourism due to a travel ban carried out by the pandemic to lure academic programs back to the city.

He imagined a tourist apartment that accommodates students and brings new energy to the city. “We feel more than ever that this is the time,” Conn said. “Saving Venice is a very special mission, but we are in the process now.”

Viruses have revealed how few inhabitants remain in Venice.

This virus has revealed how few inhabitants are left in Venice.

Pictures of Marco Di Lauro / Getty

Dark death

What happens next in Venice is very important for his future.

However, this city has risen from the previous pandemic. The word quarantine was born from the city’s response to the Black Death more than 700 years ago when the city was a strong trading center that brought merchants from all over the world.

When the plague struck, they decided the only way to protect the city was to isolate the incoming ship for 40 days, or quaranta giorni, which came to be known as quarantine, which we now call quarantine.

What happened next in Venice was in the hands of the Venetians, maybe for the first time in several centuries.

Mattia Berto, who runs a theater company in Venice, believes the city can find the right balance.

“Venice has in many ways been a perfect lover, willing to give everyone what you want without asking for any commitment for the future,” he told CNN.

“But now it’s time to rethink what Venice looks like. It’s time to finally resolve the conflict between the two Venues, one for tourists and one for Venetian. It’s time to finally commit to our future.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Palmeiras-loaned defender joins Portuguese Championship round

Continue Reading

Trending