Connect with us

World

Emanuel turned the caves into a guest house and restaurant – all because the pandemic prevented him from teaching

Published

on

“I always come to the beach to take a bath, I saw that the space is practically abandoned because we don’t always farm here because a lot of stray animals invade the land. So I said, I’m going to start working there,” the 42-year-old businessman, who is also a second-cycle art education teacher, tells Lusa.

After surrounding the area and cleaning up the vegetable garden, Emanuel Moreira, better known as Kim, said he needed a place to store the materials he uses for farming.

So it occupied the first cave, formerly a bird haven, in the bay of Mangue das Sete Ribeiras, in the municipality of Calheta de San Miguel, located on the national road Praia – Tarrafal, just over an hour from the city of Praia Beach , coastal route of Santiago Island.

But courage was viewed with some suspicion. “In the beginning, there was some criticism from the people because there was not enough water for society and also for the practice of irrigated agriculture,” he says.

So everyone got to work and cleaned the local well, and Emanuel continued to work in the cave, which quickly transformed and left everyone with their mouths open.

“We were working on the house and it got a lot of attention from the residents, a lot of people started stopping by asking what was going on here,” Kim continues.

And after six to seven months of hard work, he saw that it was necessary to expand the space even more, and it was there that he began to think about building a boarding house, which opened on January 15, Dia de Santo Amaro Abade, patron saint of the neighboring municipality of Tarrafal.

See also  Ómicron: UK has a plan C with two-week isolation

With three bedrooms clad in wood on the outside, what impresses the most are the stones on the inside, the freshness that doesn’t require air conditioning, and the simplicity of being in genuine contact with nature.

But everything else is like in a regular room, with a separate bathroom, bed, sofa, in a complex that is still under construction.

With the name Grutas dos Amores, the bay already attracts many curious people, which is classified by the municipal council of Calheta de San Miguel as a natural monument of scenic and geological interest.

The municipality writes on its official page that for a long time the bay was used as one of the main supply ports in the northern part of the municipality, with a beach that continues to serve as an anchorage for local boats that supply the guesthouse’s restaurant. .

In almost four months, the boarding house has already received about 50 guests, according to the promoter, who did not neglect safety issues, and the ceilings, although made of very sedimentary rock, were spray-painted and protected with special means, with details. with reinforced concrete “for those who are afraid to be literally under a rock.”

And because it’s tilted, any stone that falls off the cliff falls straight into the garden, and Kim took the opportunity to ask for support to put up a hammock to provide even more security for the patrons, who are already over 1,000 between the guesthouse and the restaurant.

And for the future, there is no doubt that rooms priced at 2,000 escudos (18 euros) per couple, including breakfast, will not be able to meet such a large demand. “The rooms we have will not arrive. We are in great demand.”

See also  India accuses China of 'provocative navy movements' on border

And there are many attractions. In addition to the breathtaking view of the bay, whose nearest village is Achada Monte, local produce, fish and seafood, and roast lamb are the signature specialties.

“This is mountain, natural, green space tourism. This is what we want to provide here,” the professor guarantees, who does not say how much he has invested so far, but says that it was all his life savings.

“I put all my savings here to see if I can achieve some goal later,” says the businessman, who still owns three Hiaces that transport passengers between the municipalities of Santiago and which also give him some financial assistance. company.

Therefore, work will continue, with the construction of additional rooms, some not in caves, so that, he explains, they can also accept people who are afraid to sleep under a rock.

And since everything is practically in the beginning, the local authorities helped with the garbage container and cleanup of the surrounding area, the promoter took the opportunity to ask for support from institutions, both public and private, to protect the rock and build a car park.

On weekends, the busiest time, the space has eight to 10 employees, and three on weekdays, says the businessman, who hopes to host tourists and expats this summer.

And also to have a place for an exhibition of the products of Rebelados de Espinho Branco, a religious community that has lived in isolation from the rest of Cape Verde for over 60 years and which is centered in Espinho Branco, also in the municipality of Calheta. de San Miguel.

See also  Brazil suspends distribution of 12 million CoronaVac vaccines

Emanuel Moreira also wants to host all kinds of programs, from receptions, baptisms, birthdays, dinners, and to see the space included in the itineraries of travel and travel agencies in Santiago, while also being a representative in San Miguel of a company in the sector.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Vladimir Putin has delayed the invasion of Ukraine at least three times.

Published

on

Putin has repeatedly consulted with Russian Chief of the General Staff Valery Gerasimov and Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu about the invasion, Europa Press told Ukraine’s chief intelligence director Vadim Skibitsky.

According to Skibitsky, it was the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB), which is responsible for counterintelligence and espionage work, that put pressure on Gerasimov and other military agencies to agree to launch an offensive. .

However, according to the Ukrainian intelligence services, the FSB considered that by the end of February sufficient preparations had already been made to guarantee the success of the Russian Armed Forces in a lightning invasion.

However, according to Kyiv, the Russian General Staff provided the Russian troops with supplies and ammunition for only three days, hoping that the offensive would be swift and immediately successful.

The head of Ukrainian intelligence also emphasized the cooperation of local residents, who always provided the Ukrainian authorities with up-to-date information about the Russian army, such as the number of soldiers or the exact location of troops.

The military offensive launched on February 24 by Russia in Ukraine caused at least 6.5 million internally displaced persons and more than 7.8 million refugees to European countries, which is why the UN classifies this migration crisis as the worst in Europe since World War II (1939-1945). gg.). ).

At the moment, 17.7 million Ukrainians are in need of humanitarian assistance, and 9.3 million are in need of food aid and housing.

The UN has presented as confirmed 6,755 civilian deaths and 10,607 wounded since the beginning of the war, stressing that these figures are much lower than the real ones.

See also  Portugal is the second EU country with the highest number of new daily infections.

Continue Reading

World

Life sentence for former Swedish official for spying for Russia

Published

on

A Stockholm court on Monday sentenced a former Swedish intelligence officer to life in prison for spying for Russia, and his brother to at least 12 years in prison. In what is considered one of the most serious cases in Swedish counterintelligence history, much of the trial took place behind closed doors in the name of national security.

According to the prosecution, it was Russian military intelligence, the GRU, who took advantage of the information provided by the two brothers between 2011 and their arrest at the end of 2021.

Peyman Kia, 42, has held many senior positions in the Swedish security apparatus, including the army and his country’s intelligence services (Säpo). His younger brother, Payam, 35, is accused of “participating in the planning” of the plot and of “managing contacts with Russia and the GRU, including passing on information and receiving financial rewards.”

Both men deny the charges, and their lawyers have demanded an acquittal on charges of “aggravated espionage,” according to the Swedish news agency TT.

The trial coincides with another case of alleged Russian espionage, with the arrest of the Russian-born couple in late November in a suburb of Stockholm by a police team arriving at dawn in a Blackhawk helicopter.

Research website Bellingcat identified them as Sergei Skvortsov and Elena Kulkova. The couple allegedly acted as sleeper agents for Moscow, having moved to Sweden in the late 1990s.

According to Swedish press reports, the couple ran companies specializing in the import and export of electronic components and industrial technology.

See also  Covid-19: young man tattoos digital certificate on his arm - News

The man was again detained at the end of November for “illegal intelligence activities.” His partner, suspected of being an accomplice, has been released but remains under investigation.

According to Swedish authorities, the arrests are not related to the trial of the Kia brothers.

Continue Reading

World

Ukraine admitted that Russia may announce a general mobilization

Published

on

“They can strengthen their positions. We understand that this can happen. At the same time, we do not rule out that they will announce a general mobilization,” Danilov said in an interview with the Ukrainska Pravda online publication.

Danilov believed that this mobilization would also be convened “to exterminate as many as possible” of Russian citizens, so that “they would no longer have any problems on their territory.”

In this sense, Danilov also reminded that Russia has not given up on securing control over Kyiv or the idea of ​​the complete “destruction” of Ukraine. “We have to be ready for anything,” he said.

“I want everyone to understand that [os russos] they have not given up on the idea of ​​destroying our nation. If they don’t have Kyiv in their hands, they won’t have anything in their hands, we must understand this,” continued Danilov, who also did not rule out that a new Russian offensive would come from “Belarus and other territories.” .

As such, Danilov praised the decision of many of its residents who chose to stay in the Ukrainian capital when the war broke out in order to defend the city.

“They expected that there would be panic, that people would run, that there would be nothing to protect Kyiv,” he added, referring to President Volodymyr Zelensky.

The military offensive launched on February 24 by Russia in Ukraine caused at least 6.5 million internally displaced persons and more than 7.8 million refugees to European countries, which is why the UN classifies this migration crisis as the worst in Europe since World War II (1939-1945). gg.). ).

See also  Ómicron: UK has a plan C with two-week isolation

At the moment, 17.7 million Ukrainians are in need of humanitarian assistance, and 9.3 million are in need of food aid and housing.

The Russian invasion, justified by Russian President Vladimir Putin on the need to “denazify” and demilitarize Ukraine for Russia’s security, was condemned by the international community at large, which responded by sending weapons to Ukraine and imposing political and economic sanctions on Russia.

The UN has presented as confirmed 6,755 civilian deaths and 10,607 wounded since the beginning of the war, stressing that these figures are much lower than the real ones.

Continue Reading

Trending