Connect with us

Top News

Dagestan: Coronavirus hotspot raises questions about the number of Russian Covid-19s

Published

on

Russian President Vladimir Putin holds a videoconference meeting with representatives from Dagestan.

More than two decades later, remote mountainous regions present a new challenge for the President of Russia, when the Covid-19 outbreak raised new questions about how Russia counts infections and deaths from the corona virus.

As of Tuesday, Dagestan had confirmed 3,553 Covid-19 cases and 32 deaths, ranked fifth out of 85 territories in official Russian federal statistics. But in an Instagram interview Sunday with a local journalist, the head of the republic’s health ministry gave a far higher number than Moscow, saying the total number of people infected with the corona and pneumonia virus that people got in Dagestan exceeds 13,000, with 657 people killed.

Asked by journalist Ruslan Kurbanov to explain why Covid-19 and pneumonia cases were counted separately, the health official, Dzhamaludin Gadzhiibragimov, replied that pneumonia patients were treated as if they had a virus, but not all cases were thought to originate from coronavirus due to lack of testing.

“Basically, the same [treatment] the methodology is used for both, “he said.” But because we don’t have laboratory test confirmations, statistics are being compiled in that way. “

As in other countries, frontline health workers in the region are the most vulnerable to deadly outbreaks. Between 40 and 50 health workers have died in Dagestan since the beginning of the pandemic, according to estimates from Gadzhiibragimov and head of the region’s mufti. Dagestan has a population of around 3 million people. According to the Russian health ministry, the region has 635 ICU beds and ventilators.

Doctors in the region have complained last week on social media about the lack of protective equipment, and some hospitals do not yet have room to care for their staff. A video of a nurse linked to an IV in a storage room in the city of Derbent went viral in early May.

Civil rights activist Ziyautdin Uvaisov, who is chairman of Patient Monitor, a non-profit organization that collects money to buy protective equipment for Dagestan doctors, told CNN that the health care system in the region is in very bad shape.

See also  Amanda Guyger’s lawyers attractiveness sentence in Botham Jean murder scenario

“We have been talking about it since 2017 but unfortunately there is a habit of sweeping everything under the rug,” Uvaisov said.

He added that most doctors in his organization interacted by saying about half of their colleagues were sick because there was no one to replace them when the hospital ward overflowed.

Dagestan’s dire situation has put the republic in the spotlight of Russia’s top officials. On Monday, Putin took the unusual step of leading a special government session with Dagestan leaders.

“The situation in Dagestan is difficult and demands immediate action,” Putin said in a video conference, which ordered the military to build a 200-bed hospital to help ease a crowded emergency room.

Much of the Russian government’s response to the pandemic has been hampered by bureaucracy and mismanagement of regional funds. In poorer regions such as Dagestan, where the average monthly wage is twice as low as national, according to the Russian state statistics agency, dragging feet like that is one of the main reasons behind the severe outbreak.

The additional payment promised by Putin to compensate for the difficulties of front-line work is another complaint for health professionals.

“We have been working since the beginning of the pandemic and we are faithfully doing our job – now many of our colleagues [confined] inside a medical institution, fighting for their lives, “a paramedic from the city of Buinaksk in Dagestan said in a video posted by a local outlet.

“Only a few of us are left at the forefront. We have 151 employees, but only 41 receive payment. The others don’t get anything.”

Similar videos and open letters has appeared in at least 20 of 85 Russian regions in the past week, according to CNN calculations. In public outrage, health workers complained that they did not receive any additional payment or get a small portion of it, calculated on the basis of hours and even minutes spent working directly with Covid-19 patients.

See also  Worldwide shares drop right after Fed minutes depart buyers uneasy

“If the government’s decision is initially declared clear, understandable, transparent and easy to control the principles and ways to bring this presidential payment [to health workers] “to work in special conditions, there will be fewer questions for the head doctors who work from morning to night, and to the governor as well,” Putin said on Tuesday.

The federal government changed the relevant regulations, removed the bureaucratic loophole which resulted in some doctors receiving less than 50 cents of additional salary, and promised to facilitate all payments that should be.

In a special meeting held by Putin on Monday, officials acknowledged the situation in Dagestan was more serious than reflected in official statistics. Russian Health Minister Mikhail Murashko said that 7,000 people had been hospitalized. In a video conference on Monday, Republican Head Mufti Ahmad Abdulaev told Putin many Covid-19 deaths were not recorded because people died in their homes without ever being taken to the hospital and buried according to local traditions – and without an autopsy that could confirm the cause of death.

Vladimir Vasilyev, head of the republic, linked the level of infection in part with the Dagestan tradition, which involved mass gatherings to mark important events such as weddings and funerals as well as unwillingness to delay Friday prayers in the early stages of the outbreak. He also discussed the difference in numbers between pneumonia and coronavirus.

“We are not hiding anything,” Vasilyev said, citing high respiratory-related mortality rates in 2018 and 2019, before coronavirus. “But here it is [is] it’s not so easy to distinguish the two. “

In mid-April, the streets of the regional capital Makhachkala were still busy with people. The independent outlet of Meduza was explained in a report last week how a wedding of 500 people in one of the small towns of Dagestan became one of the first coronavirus hotspots at the end of March. However, some Dagestani refute speculation that their tradition is one of the causes of increasing infections; Uvaisov, a local activist, cited mistrust of the local authorities and the health care system because it prompted some to ignore warnings.

The Kremlin has promised to help Dagestan with additional resources to help him fight the pandemic, including more test kits because the republic is still testing at a daily rate twice the recommended, according to federal health and welfare agency Rospotrebnadzor. The agency’s head, Anna Popova, told Putin that Dagestan maintained “a very fragile balance,” because the authorities were worried that the Eid holiday and mass Muslim celebrations could trigger a new outbreak.

See also  New suspect sought in connection with fire protests in Minneapolis

Victims of Russia’s overall coronavirus virus remain low with 2,837 deaths reported on Tuesday and the death rate is 7.4 lower than the global average, according to Deputy Prime Minister Tatiana Golikova. The method of calculating the country has been investigated by observers who show that deaths are often ascribed to other causes.

Russian demographers and epidemiologists hope that national statistics for all-cause deaths in April, which are expected to be released by authorities in late May, will help to get a clearer picture of the number of pandemic victims in Russia – both for deaths from coronavirus that may missed and for people who cannot get medical help for other conditions because the hospital is overwhelmed.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Two New Jersey secondary schools erased the mascots of Indians and Cowboys

Continue Reading

Trending