Connect with us

World

COVID-19: Von der Leyen says 27 people agree to emergency braking for free movement – News

Published

on

Ursula von der Leyen responded at a press conference in Ljubljana when asked about Germany’s decision to ban travel from Portugal even for holders of the EU digital covid-19 certificate, which came into force today in the community space.

“We have a recommendation issued by the Commission and approved by the Council. Thus, all 27 member states agreed on travel processing procedures, covid and EU certification. This recommendation includes an emergency brake that allows you to act quickly if there is a worrying option, ”said the President of the Community Executive, stressing that for some reason the brake“ was on ”.

Von der Leyen, who came to Ljubljana with his college in the second half of the year at the beginning of Slovenia’s presidency of the EU Council, acknowledged that this mechanism “requires information between member states and, of course, coordination between member states.”

“Since all Member States have expressed their support, I urge them to follow your recommendation and adhere to the agreed general rules. Therefore, I am sure that in the case mentioned, Germany and Portugal will follow their own recommendation, “he said, without going into details, namely indicating who may not comply with the rules, and this after the Commission itself noted that obviously Berlin does not fully complied with the agreements at the European level.

Asked about the same question, Slovenian Prime Minister Janez Jansa, who replaced Antonio Costa today as Acting President of the EU Council, confined himself to saying that the Slovenian Presidency “will do everything in its power” in the sense that member states comply with the rules. agreed at the European level for free movement in the context of a pandemic and for the use of a European certificate.

See also  Shockwave after anti-corruption police operation in the European Parliament - News

At the end of last week, Germany classified Portugal as an area with “dangerous options”, namely due to the spread of the Delta strain, which in practice leads to a travel ban in effect from Tuesday due to the activation of the EU brake mechanism to deal with alarming situations.

The German travel ban from Portugal is the only ban in the EU when the covid-19 digital certificate comes into force and more than 200 million proofs of recovery or vaccination have been issued.

“The good news is that we have not received any further notifications about this. We have the information we have already mentioned here about Germany and about [viagens de] Portugal, but we have no news of any other member state that intends to impose additional restrictions on people holding certificates, ”said Christian Wiegand, a spokesman for the local justice executive.

At an institution’s daily press conference in Brussels, is the community leader concerned about this restriction, on the day the covid-19 digital certificate, testing confirmation, recovery or vaccination confirmation, which is designed to facilitate spread in space, goes into effect, Christian Wiegand emphasized: “No, we are not we are worried, we are sure. “

“We have all member states connected and no other member states warned us about the restrictions. [pelo que] we’ve come a long way already, ”said the spokesman.

A community leadership source told Lusa on Wednesday that the European Commission is analyzing whether Germany’s decision to put Portugal on the COVID-19 travel red list is “proportionate” and could put pressure on Berlin.

See also  Cargo plane with eight crew members on board crashes in northern Greece

Christian Wiegand said today that even with a certificate, countries “can impose restrictions, but they must justify and advise the Commission and other EU countries.”

Even so, the measures envisaged by the braking mechanism should, according to the leader of the community, result in “the application of strict measures such as tests and quarantines, and the imposition of travel bans should be avoided,” he defended.

“That’s why we said that this measure [alemã] It appears that she does not fully agree with the recommendation and that is the reason why the Commission acted by asking the Council to discuss the matter, ”said the spokesman.

The European digital certificate for immunization against covid-19 or negative testing came into force today and more than one million have already been issued in Portugal.

Data released today by the European Commission shows that more than 200 million certificates have already been issued at the EU level.

Even before the official deadline for entry into force, 21 Member States, as well as the countries of the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) have already started issuing certificates. The other five EU countries are starting to do so today.

Since it is a document for general and uniform use throughout the EU, as well as in the countries of the Economic Area, the national authorities must determine the rules for its internal use.

In mid-June, the EU Council adopted a recommendation for a coordinated approach to travel, suggesting that at least one dose vaccinated and recovered from covid-19 should not be subject to restrictive measures such as quarantine or testing.

See also  The European Parliament suspended the mandate of Vice President Eva Kaili

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Vladimir Putin has delayed the invasion of Ukraine at least three times.

Published

on

Putin has repeatedly consulted with Russian Chief of the General Staff Valery Gerasimov and Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu about the invasion, Europa Press told Ukraine’s chief intelligence director Vadim Skibitsky.

According to Skibitsky, it was the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB), which is responsible for counterintelligence and espionage work, that put pressure on Gerasimov and other military agencies to agree to launch an offensive. .

However, according to the Ukrainian intelligence services, the FSB considered that by the end of February sufficient preparations had already been made to guarantee the success of the Russian Armed Forces in a lightning invasion.

However, according to Kyiv, the Russian General Staff provided the Russian troops with supplies and ammunition for only three days, hoping that the offensive would be swift and immediately successful.

The head of Ukrainian intelligence also emphasized the cooperation of local residents, who always provided the Ukrainian authorities with up-to-date information about the Russian army, such as the number of soldiers or the exact location of troops.

The military offensive launched on February 24 by Russia in Ukraine caused at least 6.5 million internally displaced persons and more than 7.8 million refugees to European countries, which is why the UN classifies this migration crisis as the worst in Europe since World War II (1939-1945). gg.). ).

At the moment, 17.7 million Ukrainians are in need of humanitarian assistance, and 9.3 million are in need of food aid and housing.

The UN has presented as confirmed 6,755 civilian deaths and 10,607 wounded since the beginning of the war, stressing that these figures are much lower than the real ones.

See also  The European Parliament suspended the mandate of Vice President Eva Kaili

Continue Reading

World

Life sentence for former Swedish official for spying for Russia

Published

on

A Stockholm court on Monday sentenced a former Swedish intelligence officer to life in prison for spying for Russia, and his brother to at least 12 years in prison. In what is considered one of the most serious cases in Swedish counterintelligence history, much of the trial took place behind closed doors in the name of national security.

According to the prosecution, it was Russian military intelligence, the GRU, who took advantage of the information provided by the two brothers between 2011 and their arrest at the end of 2021.

Peyman Kia, 42, has held many senior positions in the Swedish security apparatus, including the army and his country’s intelligence services (Säpo). His younger brother, Payam, 35, is accused of “participating in the planning” of the plot and of “managing contacts with Russia and the GRU, including passing on information and receiving financial rewards.”

Both men deny the charges, and their lawyers have demanded an acquittal on charges of “aggravated espionage,” according to the Swedish news agency TT.

The trial coincides with another case of alleged Russian espionage, with the arrest of the Russian-born couple in late November in a suburb of Stockholm by a police team arriving at dawn in a Blackhawk helicopter.

Research website Bellingcat identified them as Sergei Skvortsov and Elena Kulkova. The couple allegedly acted as sleeper agents for Moscow, having moved to Sweden in the late 1990s.

According to Swedish press reports, the couple ran companies specializing in the import and export of electronic components and industrial technology.

See also  The Cumbre Vieja volcano has already fallen asleep. See footprints left by a three-month eruption on La Palma Island - Multimedia.

The man was again detained at the end of November for “illegal intelligence activities.” His partner, suspected of being an accomplice, has been released but remains under investigation.

According to Swedish authorities, the arrests are not related to the trial of the Kia brothers.

Continue Reading

World

Ukraine admitted that Russia may announce a general mobilization

Published

on

“They can strengthen their positions. We understand that this can happen. At the same time, we do not rule out that they will announce a general mobilization,” Danilov said in an interview with the Ukrainska Pravda online publication.

Danilov believed that this mobilization would also be convened “to exterminate as many as possible” of Russian citizens, so that “they would no longer have any problems on their territory.”

In this sense, Danilov also reminded that Russia has not given up on securing control over Kyiv or the idea of ​​the complete “destruction” of Ukraine. “We have to be ready for anything,” he said.

“I want everyone to understand that [os russos] they have not given up on the idea of ​​destroying our nation. If they don’t have Kyiv in their hands, they won’t have anything in their hands, we must understand this,” continued Danilov, who also did not rule out that a new Russian offensive would come from “Belarus and other territories.” .

As such, Danilov praised the decision of many of its residents who chose to stay in the Ukrainian capital when the war broke out in order to defend the city.

“They expected that there would be panic, that people would run, that there would be nothing to protect Kyiv,” he added, referring to President Volodymyr Zelensky.

The military offensive launched on February 24 by Russia in Ukraine caused at least 6.5 million internally displaced persons and more than 7.8 million refugees to European countries, which is why the UN classifies this migration crisis as the worst in Europe since World War II (1939-1945). gg.). ).

See also  "Donald Trump in a dress." Kari Lake, the ex-president's top student, is running for the midterms

At the moment, 17.7 million Ukrainians are in need of humanitarian assistance, and 9.3 million are in need of food aid and housing.

The Russian invasion, justified by Russian President Vladimir Putin on the need to “denazify” and demilitarize Ukraine for Russia’s security, was condemned by the international community at large, which responded by sending weapons to Ukraine and imposing political and economic sanctions on Russia.

The UN has presented as confirmed 6,755 civilian deaths and 10,607 wounded since the beginning of the war, stressing that these figures are much lower than the real ones.

Continue Reading

Trending