Connect with us

Top News

Coronavirus: 150 million BYD masks headed to California

Published

on

Coronavirus: 150 million BYD masks headed to California

California will begin receiving shipments of the much-needed N95 mask from Chinese auto maker BYD in the coming days after federal regulators approve the company’s respirator, Governor Gavin Newsom announced Monday.

The mask is part of Newsom’s $ 1 billion deal struck with BYD in April, which has been postponed after carmakers have difficulty certifying the effectiveness of their masks. After BYD missed a second deadline to get the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health certification, state officials gave the company an extension on Friday.

With the certification agreement announced Monday, Newsom said an agreement with BYD would ensure California had a reliable protective pipe to protect key workers during the pandemic.

“Providing California frontline health care workers and respondents with the protective equipment they need is an important part of our response to COVID-19,” Newsom said in a statement Monday. “This new supply of N95 masks, as well as surgical masks that have been provided by this contract, is changing the game and playing an important role in our country’s public security and reopening strategy.”

California originally planned to order 300 million highly protective respirators for $ 990 million, with state officials paying $ 495 million in advance of the company. After BYD, which has a U.S. subsidiary headquartered in Los Angeles County, failing to meet the contract deadline on April 30 for its N95 mask being certified, the company was forced to return half of California’s down payment. BYD missed the revised deadline on May 31 so that the mask was approved by federal regulators before the deadline was pushed back, this time until June 12.

See also  Spanish ariseologist Eliseo Gil was sentenced to prison for faking his findings

The state contract with BYD says 150 million masks will be sent to California this month and beyond. California pay $ 3.30 for each N95 mask. The price is higher than N95 masks in nonpandemic times, but there is a shortage of respirators worldwide, which filters 95% of particles and provides important protection for nurses and other important workers.

California’s agreement with BYD has been greeted with skepticism since Newsom announced its existence on MSNBC “The Rachel Maddow Show” in April. The contract is then kept for one month. The governor’s office at first refused to reveal public documents or many details to MPs and journalists citing fears that the mask might be confiscated if the information was released.

In addition to the N95 mask, the state agreed to pay BYD $ 54.9 million to buy 100 million surgical masks. The masks have been sent to the country.

Over the next two months, BYD’s contract with California also gave the country the option to buy an additional 250 million N95 respirators for $ 825 million and 112.5 million surgical masks for $ 61.8 million.

The Newsom office said a contract with BYD would ensure California has an adequate supply of masks now and in the future. California’s contract with BYD requires that N95 masks meet federal health and safety standards by obtaining NIOSH certification. It is not clear what caused the delay for BYD to have the mask certified until the announcement on Monday.

In a statement last month to The Times, NIOSH said it told BYD on May 4 that on-site visits to factories and company production facilities in China had resulted in an “unacceptable” rating. The agency also said “the review of the documentation provided to NIOSH for the design, manufacture and quality inspection of the device is cause for concern.”

NIOSH declined to elaborate on the specific reasons for his refusal, saying the information was confidential under federal rules, but added in a statement that the decision was “based on a number of factors.”

BYD submitted a total of four applications for N95 respirators, according to a letter from the regulatory body. Three applications were rejected and the fourth was withdrawn, an NIOSH official told The Times.

BYD, which stands for Build Your Dreams, announced in March that its vehicle facility in Shenzhen will produce masks and hand sanitizers. The company is well known for building electric vehicles, including battery-powered buses, and operating vehicle manufacturing facilities in Lancaster.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  Google reportedly negotiating with Samsung to drive Assistant above Bixby
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Google reportedly negotiating with Samsung to drive Assistant above Bixby

Continue Reading

Trending