According to the Corriere della Sera newspaper, Meloni, leader of the far-right Brothers of Italy (FdI) party and the great winner of the election in which he formed a coalition with the FI and Liga Matteo Salvini, spoke twice with Pier Silvio last week. Berlusconi, chief executive of the audiovisual group Mediaset.
“The eldest sons of the former prime minister put pressure on the father to end the conflict with his ally and reach an understanding,” the newspaper writes, specifying that in recent days Meloni addressed the Berlusconi family directly, explaining that there was a complete desire to resolve the conflict. conflict, behind which there were no personal reasons.
Tensions arise from the secondary role that Berlusconi plays in the formation of the government, as it wanted his associate Licia Ronzulli to be Minister of Health, which Meloni refused with 26% of the vote in the election, against 9% of his partners.
According to the paper, the message Meloni conveyed to Berlusconi’s son and the latter to his father was that they should come to an agreement “for political and business reasons”.
The controversy intensified when some of Berlusconi’s notes were released at the inaugural session of the Senate, which read: “Georgia Meloni: stubborn, arrogant and abusive behavior”, a comment to which the future head of government reacted clearly annoyed: only one remark: I do not accept extortion.”
Berlusconi’s eldest daughter, Marina, also joined the discussion and said she was “furious” to see her father become “a shadow of himself and his history.”
President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky this Saturday considered limiting the price of a barrel of Russian oil to $60 insufficient, as he does not consider it a “serious decision”, and Kyiv offered a price two times lower.
On Friday, the European Union (EU), the G7 (the seven richest economies in the world) and Australia agreed to impose this maximum ceiling, with Russia immediately indicating that it would “not accept” the cap, which should be applied. in the coming days to limit Moscow’s financial resources after the military invasion of Ukraine.
The price of a barrel of Russian oil is currently around $65, slightly above the maximum limit approved by Western officials, which will have a limited impact in the short term.
However, even at the beginning of this morning, Kyiv rejoiced at the application of this penalty mechanism and foreshadowed the destruction of the Russian economy under the weight of international sanctions.
“It was necessary to download [o preço máximo] 30 dollars to destroy [a economia russa] even faster,” said Andriy Yermak, head of the Presidential Administration of Ukraine.
But by evening, Zelensky had taken a much more critical stance toward Westerners.
“The decision to set such a limit on Russian prices is not serious, and it is actually comfortable for the budget of a terrorist state,” he said, quoted by presidential services.
“Russia has already inflicted enormous losses on all countries of the world by deliberately destabilizing the energy market. And the world cannot risk “real energy disarmament of Moscow,” he lamented. “This is a weak position,” he added.
The maximum price text for a barrel of Russian oil was criticized by Kyiv and rejected by Moscow.
“We will not accept this restriction,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, quoted by Russian news agencies, said, with Moscow already warning that it would cut off oil supplies to countries that would accept the measure.
In this first reaction from Moscow, Peskov also said that Russia “prepared in advance for a similar restriction,” without giving details.
On Friday, the 27 countries of the European Union, the G7 and Australia reached an agreement on a “top price of $60”. [cerca de 57 euros] for crude oil of Russian origin transported by sea,” the joint statement says.
The mechanism will come into effect on Monday “or shortly thereafter,” the G7 and Australia said. On the same day, the EU embargo on Russian oil transported by sea will come into force, eliminating two-thirds of crude oil purchases from Russia.
Thus, only oil sold by Moscow at or below $60 will still be able to ship. Beyond this limit, companies are prohibited from providing services that provide maritime transportation (including cargo and insurance).
Germany and Poland have also decided to stop deliveries via the pipeline until the end of 2022, which the Europeans believe will also contribute to total Russian imports being hit by more than 90 percent.
The military offensive launched by Russia on February 24 in Ukraine has already caused the flight of more than 13 million people – more than six million internally displaced people and more than 7.8 million to European countries – according to the latest UN data, which classifies this migration crisis as the worst in Europe since World War II (1939-1945).
The Russian invasion, justified by Russian President Vladimir Putin on the need to “denazify” and demilitarize Ukraine for Russia’s security, was condemned by the international community at large, which responded by sending weapons to Ukraine and imposing political and economic sanctions on Russia.
The UN has presented 6,655 civilian deaths and 10,368 wounded as confirmed since the start of the war, stressing that these figures are much lower than the real ones.
The Spanish police claim that six trap parcels that arrived at diplomatic missions and ministries were sent from the city of Valladolid.
Despite the established origin, the authorities still don’t know who’s to blamesince the letters will be placed in regular mailboxes.
The first evidence of the investigation is related to only one of the six packages was able to be deactivated without damage🇧🇷 These are homemade devices with powder charges. The police managed to carry out controlled explosions in four devices.
In the period from November 24 to December 2, parcels with pyrotechnic materials arrived at the diplomatic missions of Ukraine and the United States, the Ministry of Defense and in the office of Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez.
Meanwhile, the security of public buildings, government and embassies strengthens🇧🇷 Despite the written bombs sent out, the authorities decided that it was not worth raising the level of terrorist threat.
On Friday, Spain’s interior minister recommended to the European Commission and partner countries take action if they received such trap letters with the recognition of their possible attitude towards the war in Ukraine.
The MNE of Portugal acknowledged that a circular with recommendations was sent to the Portuguese missions and embassies, but chose not to give further details about the proceduresciting security concerns.
In Doha, Augusto Santos Silva guaranteed that there would be no problems between Portugal and Qatar. “The two countries have tense diplomatic relations. Qatar is one of the Gulf states where we have a permanent ambassador and it is a strategic region for us,” said the second representative of the Portuguese state. And he also mentioned that there are several points that “should not be forgotten” in order to maintain good bilateral relations. Referring to his experience as Minister of Foreign Affairs, he recalled two facts: “First, it is that, unfortunately, the former Portuguese Ambassador to Qatar, Ricardo Prachana, died in office and the support provided by the Qatari authorities was unsurpassed. (…) Second fact [foi] when we had to remove dozens of people from Afghanistan, namely Afghans who collaborated with the Portuguese armed forces, in a very difficult operation. We did this because we had Pakistan’s support on the ground route and Qatar’s support on the air route.” Santos Silva’s agreement with the Qatari authorities goes even further when he praises “the very clear position that Qatar has taken in the United Nations General Assembly condemning the war against Ukraine and the importance of the geopolitical and geo-economic perspective that this region has in the world today.”
moderate speech pleases
Santos Silva’s statements clearly show more cordiality compared to the speeches of Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa and António Costa (the so-called “hostile”), as well as the subsequent human rights narrative that has rattled the Qatari government to, as reported by Nascer do SOL in its latest issue, admitting that he blacklisted the country as soon as the World Cup is over, the same is happening with Germany, Denmark and France, which have followed the same type of discourse.
Diplomatic efforts by Santos Silva appear to have helped mitigate the damage caused by the statements of Marcelo Rebelo de Souza, who at the Doha conference refocused on human rights violations, knowing that previous statements were considered “hostile”. ‘ by the Government of Qatar. The diplomatic corps immediately took action at the Palacio das Necessidades and in Doha to prevent the situation from escalating. A Portuguese delegation was sent to Qatar to ensure that Santos Silva’s trip would not bring more problems to Portugal and that the diplomatic calculation would have no repercussions.
In addition to his presence at the stadium to watch Portugal play, the President of the Assembly of the Republic met with the Qatari authorities, where “all matters of interest to both Portugal and Qatar” were considered. Homework was done well and Santos Silva was awarded state awards. He was met at the airport by Deputy Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani and stayed at a hotel reserved exclusively for heads of state (instead of the Banyan Tree Hotel reserved for vice presidents and chairmen of parliaments). an attitude very different from that given to the President of the Republic during his visit to Qatar, as he was received by the daughter of the Sheikh of the Emirate, who was at the stadium in her private box without receiving the Portuguese head. The Qataris seem to know how to forgive but not forget.
On the subject of human rights in Qatar, Angelo Correia, a former interior minister (de Cavaco Silva), believes this is “hypocrisy and a Western superiority complex.” Speaking to Nascer do SOL, the analyst and political commentator added that the West is “punishing itself for its past mistakes regarding the barbaric colonization of some countries in this region, while at the same time assuming the supremacy of the present as if nothing had happened in the past. In Europe there is a contradiction between sinning excess in this matter and showing superiority over those who are not yet on their way. This is an ambiguous, pompous and contradictory attitude.” But the political class is also responsible: “Portugal’s position towards Qatar left much to be desired in some circumstances, and some people and some parties showed a certain opportunism. There are currently two problems that elude the Portuguese democratic reality: the lack of memory and then the strong agitation for political correctness.”
Relations between Portugal and Qatar have entered a less tense phase and the presence of Ana Catarina Méndez, Deputy Minister for Parliamentary Affairs who replaced the Prime Minister, who canceled her trip for health reasons, in yesterday’s game in which Portugal lost to South Korea (1-2) an example of this. “This is the day we should all unite with the colors of Portugal, the colors of an open, modern and inclusive society that I am proud to represent,” he told Lusa.
António Costa is expected to go to the Round of 16 game on Tuesday and if the national team continues to compete, with Santos Silva reaching the quarter-finals and Marcelo Rebelo de Souza reaching the semi-finals, then… But one thing is for sure: an agreement is needed. official discourse so that the country is not blacklisted by the emirate.