Connect with us


The machines were turned off, Archie died – he was 12 years old. Parents say boy ‘fought to the end’



Case moves to the UK (and beyond). Parents appealed to the UN to keep the machines on, but the doctors won the case in British justice

Holly Dance and Paul Bettersby lost their battle with the British courts who held them in hopes of staying close to their brain-dead son Archie. This Saturday, the couple faces the inevitable outcome they’ve been fighting so hard for in recent months: they say goodbye to their 12-year-old son for the last time.

Doctors at the Royal London Hospital in London, where the child has been hospitalized since April after participating in deadly challenge online, support machines are disabled this Saturday, proceeds to sky newsin which Archie’s parents are mentioned.

“Archie fought to the end and I’m so proud to be his mother,” Holly said. Ella Rose Carter, the fiancée of Archie’s older brother Tom, told reporters that doctors stopped giving the boy medication at 10:00 a.m. and that his levels remained “stable for two hours” until he was removed by fans. Death was pronounced at 12:15.

“We hope that no family should go through what we went through. This is barbaric,” complained Ella Rose.

The denouement comes after the parents have exhausted all avenues to delay the decision of the doctors, who argued it was not in the boy’s “best interest” to extend life-sustaining treatment.

It was Archie’s mother who found him unconscious, with a “bandage” around his neck, when he returned home from work on April 7 this year. Holly Dance believes that this was the result of a viral challenge from the social network Tik Tok, known as the “Blackout Challenge”, which consists in squeezing the neck until unconscious due to lack of oxygen.

See also  U.S. Ambassador Confirms Four Deaths

The child was then transferred to the Royal London Hospital, where the diagnosis of brain death set off a lengthy legal battle between the hospital and Archie’s parents, who refused to accept the doctors’ recommendation to turn off the auxiliary machines. the child’s vital signs were preserved. Holly and Paul claimed that their son, despite being unconscious, was still alive, and they wanted him to remain that way, connected to a ventilator and feeding tube, until his “natural death”.

According to court documents, the mother said she felt Archie squeeze her arm at one point and breathe without needing a ventilator. But doctors say they have never seen “any sign of life” in the baby, even during the most painful procedures.

Long legal battle between doctors and family

Faced with the intransigence of the hospital, the parents turned to international bodies, namely the UN, which wrote a letter to the doctors of this hospital urging them to leave the equipment turned on. However, British justice rejected the UN’s appeal, arguing that the body was not binding on national law, and after several inquiries and deliberations, the judges gave the doctors the right, considering that life support would not be in the “best interest” of the child.

It was then that Archie’s parents appealed the decision to the Supreme Court, which ensured that the case would be heard on an “urgent” basis. The decision was announced the same day, but it was not the response the couple had hoped for. In a statement, the judges say that despite “great sympathy for the situation,” the parents have exhausted their “legal rights” to ventilate the child.

See also  "Old man, go away!" How Kazakhstan toppled Nazarbayev in three days and is now entering a "new era of instability" - Observer

“The Commission comes to this conclusion with a heavy heart,” the statement said, explaining that even if life-sustaining treatment continues, Archie will die within the next few weeks from organ failure and heart failure.

Holly and Paul then petitioned the European Court of Human Rights to rule on the case in hopes of setting aside the hospital’s and British justice’s decision. But the European Court refused to “intervene in the decisions of national courts.”

Delaying the last chance, Archie’s parents also petitioned the Supreme Court to transfer the boy to a palliative care unit, justifying their request with the wish that their son had a “dignified death” with his family. Once again, British justice sided with doctors, who warned of a “significant risk” of moving the child – an argument that influenced the decision of the Supreme Court. Judge Justice Theis justified this decision by saying that the transfer was not in Archie’s “best interests”.

Thus ended a long legal battle between the Archie family, British doctors and justice.

Speaking to Sky News on Friday night, Holly Dance said the hospital “made it very clear” that “there are no more options” to delay the inevitable. “I did everything I promised my son,” he complained.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


After the plane thaw found two corpses in the Swiss Alps



After the discovery of the wreckage, two bodies were found in the melting ice of the Swiss Alps. Snowless winters and hot July temperatures are slowly revealing the secrets hidden in the Alps.

Two French climbers discovered the bodies on Wednesday while climbing the Chesgen glacier in Valais.

The bones were brought by helicopter for examination. Police say the DNA identification process “may take several days.”

The discovery happened next to a trail that hadn’t been used in over a decade, said Dario Andenmatten, director of the mountain hut in Britain, where many climbers start their ascents in the region.

French climbers were guided by an old map, which led to the discovery. One of the climbers claims that one of the bodies found was wearing “clothing from the 80s.” According to the report, the body was mummified and slightly damaged, “but nearly intact.”

Investigators estimate the death occurred “around the 1970s or 1980s.”

A week ago, a body was found next to the Stockey glacier, near the resort of Zermatt, on Monte Cervino, the most famous mountain in the Alps.

Police in the Alps maintain a list of some 300 people who have gone missing since 1925, one of which is billionaire supermarket chain owner Karl-Erivan Haub who disappeared in 2018.

See also  Volcanic eruption in the Galapagos Islands, home to unique species

After a relatively snowless winter, the Swiss Alps have already experienced two heatwaves in the summer. In July, authorities advised climbers not to climb the Matterhorn due to abnormally high temperatures, which reached almost 30 degrees Celsius in Zermatt.

During the July heat wave, the height at which the water froze was a record 5184 meters compared to the normal summer level of 3000 to 3500 meters.

Continue Reading


Taiwan uses live fire in military exercises in response to China’s maneuvers



Continue Reading


The FBI raided Donald Trump’s home in Mar-a-Lago.



The FBI conducted a massive operation to build Donald Trump in Mar-A-Lago in Florida, where the former US president moved after leaving the White House.

“These are dark times for our nation as my beautiful home, Mar-A-Lago, in Palm Beach, Florida, is currently under siege, overrun and occupied by a large group of FBI agents. Nothing like this has ever happened to a president. United States,” Donald Trump said this Monday evening in a statement quoted by the American press in which he spoke about the police operation.

“After working and cooperating with the relevant government agencies, this unannounced raid was neither necessary nor appropriate.”

Neither Donald Trump nor the FBI, the US federal police, have explained why the authorities are enforcing the court order. The former president used a text in which he exposed the actions of the police to accuse the Democrats of persecuting him using the judicial system, and said that such an operation could only happen in a “third world country.” “They even broke into my safe,” Donald Trump said, comparing the case to the Watergate scandal.

According to The New York Times, citing two people familiar with the process, the investigation will focus on materials that will be taken to Florida after leaving the White House, including pages of classified documents. Trump was forced to return 15 boxes of materials requisitioned by the National Archives after he was threatened with legal action.

The U.S. is going through a tough time with the investigation into the Capitol invasion and Donald Trump’s attempts to stay in power by alleging fraud in the presidential election. In recent days, some members of the government closest to the former president have been called in with statements about interference in the process of passing power.

See also  U.S. Ambassador Confirms Four Deaths
Continue Reading