Connect with us

World

European babies exposed to toxic diapers – News

Published

on

A statement from the EEB, a European network of over 170 environmental organizations, explains that diaper contamination was identified several years ago by the French National Agency for Health, Food, Environment and Safety at Work (ANSES), a public organization. institution under the tutelage of the Ministries of Health, Environment, Agriculture, Labor and Consumption.

The ANSES warning was issued in 2018, but European institutions failed to create legislation to protect consumers, which happened again on Wednesday, EEB explains.

The European Commission has had three months to submit a legal proposal for restrictions in the European Union (EU) of chemicals in diapers, following a request from France on April 20 to that effect. So far, he has never met a deadline for other requests from France, and he missed that deadline again on Wednesday, the environmental organization notes.

French authorities say 90% of European babies have been exposed to a “very serious” chemical contamination through diapers sold across Europe in recent years, putting children at risk of “potentially very serious illnesses” later in life.

A French agency tested in 2018 and 2019 the top-selling brands of disposable diapers, including so-called “eco-friendly” ones, and found 38 “very serious risk” chemicals, formaldehyde, classified as a carcinogen and already banned in toys. , and 37 other foods also have health effects on, among other things, carcinogenic, hepatic, immunological, or neurological levels.

ANSES estimates that more than 14 million children in Europe may suffer from “potentially very serious illnesses” due to the use of diapers.

In 2020, a French agency retested nine diaper brands and found only one of the chemicals present, formaldehyde. But acknowledging that the contamination could recur, he asked the EU to severely limit the use of the chemicals.

See also  Covid-19: Austria introduces state imprisonment for the unvaccinated | Coronavirus

“European institutions resisted this proposal. The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) acknowledged the potential risks, said the chemicals should not be present, but said the French failed to properly demonstrate the risk to children.

The EEB believes that the European Commission failed and that on Wednesday it again failed to meet the legal deadline to respond to the French proposal, and this situation could last for months or years.

According to the EEB, 21 non-governmental organizations have written to the Commission stating that the effects on children’s health could be irreversible and that the EU should ban chemicals in diapers as a preventive measure.

Dolores Romano, BSE’s head of chemistry, quoted in a statement, said: “Day after day, week after week, incredibly sensitive newborns and infants can be exposed to some of the most toxic substances on the planet. law”.

French pressure forced manufacturers to change the composition of diapers, showing that it was entirely possible, but “as soon as the inspectors leave, the problem may return. Therefore, a law is needed,” he added.

And in the same paper, Anja Hazekamp, ​​Vice President of the European Parliament Committee on Environment, Public Health and Food Safety, said: “It is very alarming that millions of newborns and children in Europe are already being exposed to hazardous chemicals. while they are in diapers. More worryingly, despite evidence of this, the official EU Chemicals Agency chooses to protect the economic interests of the industry rather than maintain safety restrictions that would protect the health of these young children.”

See also  Light the red signals. Draft Final Declaration COP26 published

The French agency reports that 1,000 diapers per minute are produced in Europe and that the market is valued at seven billion euros per year, dominated by two brands: Pampers (36%) and Huggies (26%). And that over 90% of parents in Europe have been using them since the 1990s.

EEB notes that, in addition to diapers, daily exposure to synthetic chemicals in everyday products contributes to increased rates of cancer, reproductive problems, and metabolic diseases such as diabetes and obesity, among other exposures.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

After the plane thaw found two corpses in the Swiss Alps

Published

on

After the discovery of the wreckage, two bodies were found in the melting ice of the Swiss Alps. Snowless winters and hot July temperatures are slowly revealing the secrets hidden in the Alps.

Two French climbers discovered the bodies on Wednesday while climbing the Chesgen glacier in Valais.

The bones were brought by helicopter for examination. Police say the DNA identification process “may take several days.”

The discovery happened next to a trail that hadn’t been used in over a decade, said Dario Andenmatten, director of the mountain hut in Britain, where many climbers start their ascents in the region.

French climbers were guided by an old map, which led to the discovery. One of the climbers claims that one of the bodies found was wearing “clothing from the 80s.” According to the report, the body was mummified and slightly damaged, “but nearly intact.”

Investigators estimate the death occurred “around the 1970s or 1980s.”

A week ago, a body was found next to the Stockey glacier, near the resort of Zermatt, on Monte Cervino, the most famous mountain in the Alps.

Police in the Alps maintain a list of some 300 people who have gone missing since 1925, one of which is billionaire supermarket chain owner Karl-Erivan Haub who disappeared in 2018.

See also  The man who tried to kill Ronald Reagan is still free 41 years later

After a relatively snowless winter, the Swiss Alps have already experienced two heatwaves in the summer. In July, authorities advised climbers not to climb the Matterhorn due to abnormally high temperatures, which reached almost 30 degrees Celsius in Zermatt.

During the July heat wave, the height at which the water froze was a record 5184 meters compared to the normal summer level of 3000 to 3500 meters.

Continue Reading

World

Taiwan uses live fire in military exercises in response to China’s maneuvers

Published

on

Continue Reading

World

The FBI raided Donald Trump’s home in Mar-a-Lago.

Published

on

The FBI conducted a massive operation to build Donald Trump in Mar-A-Lago in Florida, where the former US president moved after leaving the White House.

“These are dark times for our nation as my beautiful home, Mar-A-Lago, in Palm Beach, Florida, is currently under siege, overrun and occupied by a large group of FBI agents. Nothing like this has ever happened to a president. United States,” Donald Trump said this Monday evening in a statement quoted by the American press in which he spoke about the police operation.

“After working and cooperating with the relevant government agencies, this unannounced raid was neither necessary nor appropriate.”

Neither Donald Trump nor the FBI, the US federal police, have explained why the authorities are enforcing the court order. The former president used a text in which he exposed the actions of the police to accuse the Democrats of persecuting him using the judicial system, and said that such an operation could only happen in a “third world country.” “They even broke into my safe,” Donald Trump said, comparing the case to the Watergate scandal.

According to The New York Times, citing two people familiar with the process, the investigation will focus on materials that will be taken to Florida after leaving the White House, including pages of classified documents. Trump was forced to return 15 boxes of materials requisitioned by the National Archives after he was threatened with legal action.

The U.S. is going through a tough time with the investigation into the Capitol invasion and Donald Trump’s attempts to stay in power by alleging fraud in the presidential election. In recent days, some members of the government closest to the former president have been called in with statements about interference in the process of passing power.

See also  Eddie Jaku, 101-year-old Holocaust survivor, is dead
Continue Reading

Trending