Connect with us

World

The man who tried to kill Ronald Reagan is still free 41 years later

Published

on

The man who tried to assassinate former US President Ronald Reagan in 1981 to impress actress Jodie Foster was released on Wednesday, six years after being released from a psychiatric hospital.

A court recently ruled that after ten years of psychological counseling and surveillance, John Hinckley no longer poses a threat to society and can be released from trial on June 15. “After 41 years, two months and 15 days, FINALLY FREEDOM,” he tweeted, now 67 and dedicated to music.


On March 30, 1981, John Hinckley shot and killed the former Republican head of state as he left a hotel in Washington. One of the bullets ricocheted off the armored presidential limousine and hit Ronald Reagan in the chest. Three people were injured in the attack.

The then-young man, who had been obsessed with Jodie Foster since the release of Taxi Driver, said he wanted to impress the actress. John Hinckley was declared insane by the court.

After more than 30 years in a psychiatric hospital, John Hinckley was allowed to move in with his mother in a safe residential area of ​​Williamsburg, 240 kilometers south of Washington, in 2016.

The rules of his judicial control were strict: in particular, the man had to report any movements (with notes, schedules and possible incidents), receive regular medical treatment and keep a diary of his daily activities.

John Hinckley was also banned from contacting Jodie Foster and members of her family, descendants of Ronald Reagan, or anyone who was closest to the other victims.

See also  The famous Darwin Arch collapsed in the Galapagos Islands

His mental state is now “stable”, according to court documents.

“If he hadn’t tried to kill the president, he would have been given free rein a long time ago,” Judge Paul Friedman said in September.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Alternative luxury destinations allow you to save up to 5600 euros. Know what – IVF

Published

on






Alternative luxury destinations allow you to save up to 5600 euros. Know what – IVF































Your browser is out of date!

Please upgrade your browser to better view this site. Update your browser now

×

See also  “Russia knows it has a hot potato in its hands”: an analysis by Nuno Rogueiro and José Milhazes
Continue Reading

World

Russia warns that Moldova’s EU candidacy will have “negative consequences” for the country – Obozrevatel

Published

on

You have free access to all Observer articles as a subscriber.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova warned on Friday that the status of Moldova and Ukraine’s candidate for the European Union would be “Negative consequences” for both countries.

“By the decision to grant Ukraine and Moldova the status of a candidate country, the European Union confirms that it continues to actively study the countries of the Commonwealth of Independent States. [CIS, sigla em inglês] at the geopolitical levelusing them to “contain” Russia.”, declared It is reported by Reuters with reference to Maria Zakharova.

The diplomatic leader pointed out that the authorities of the two countries do not take into account the “negative consequences” of their decision, accusing the European Union of sacrificing democratic ideals through “limitless expansion” and politics, “politically and economically enslaves its neighbors.”

Former Russian President and Deputy Chairman of the Russian Security Council Dmitry Medvedev also criticized Moldova’s decision to join the European Union. In a post on his personal Telegram account this Saturday, the political leader indicated that the EU is seeking to create a “Greater Romania” – a union of Romanian and Moldovan territories – for which he has embarked on a “devaluation of Moldova”. through “hatred of Russia”.

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

Pointing his finger at the Moldovan authorities, Dmitry Medvedev hinted that “European perspectives” for the country would bring “very expensive energy costs” and will also lead to the “loss of the Russian market” for Moldovan agricultural products. In addition, commenting on the country’s decision to apply sanctions against Russia, the former Russian president said that the country’s authorities are “trying to please their new masters.”

“Let’s let them do it. They can be 100% sure that they won’t get anything from us,” Dmitry Medvedev threatened, adding that Moldova could do without Russian “energy”, as well as “other resources”: “We will allow them to enjoy sanctions before joining the EU.”

For his part, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba has already reacted to Russian warnings. “We are on the side of the people and the friendly government of Moldova,” he wrote on his personal Twitter account. In this publication, the head of Ukrainian diplomacy further accused Russia of “leaving threats to other states after decades of misguided policies based on aggression, coercion and disrespect.” “It just shows Russia’s weakness.”

See also  Pandora Papers. Manuel Pinho, Morais Sarmento and Vitalino Canas mentioned in new investigative journalism - Observer
Continue Reading

World

More fears in Afghanistan

Published

on


















Fears are growing over the victims of the earthquake that killed more than 1,150 people in Afghanistan this Wednesday, and citizens are warning of the dangers and hardships that citizens are suffering.

Despite the incoming first aid from the international community, hundreds of citizens were left homeless and without medical care.

“The Ministry of Health is short of medicines, we need medical care and other needs because this is a big disaster,” said an official quoted by the Guardian, while citizen Zaytullah Gurziwal warned that “there were no blankets.” , tents or sheds. But the problems don’t end there. “Our entire water supply system is destroyed. There is literally nothing to eat,” writes AFP.

The international community has already begun mobilizing to help Afghanistan, with United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres deploring the “deadly” natural disaster that has hit eastern Afghanistan.

Guterres said the UN is “fully mobilized” and that teams in Afghanistan are on the ground assessing “needs and providing initial support.”

“I express my deepest condolences to the families of the victims and wish a speedy recovery to the injured,” he added.

Several other organizations, including the World Health Organization, the local Red Crescent and the World Food Program, have begun sending mobile medical teams to Paktika and Khost provinces at a time when the population is also in need of assistance. food and non-food aid, and water, hygiene and sanitation assistance.

The European Union requested this Wednesday “international assistance” to Afghanistan, ensuring that it will help those who need it most.

See also  Why the Mauritius oil spill is so serious

The situation is so serious that the Taliban-led government has appealed to the international community for help and support to deal with the devastation caused by this natural disaster.

In a rare public speech, Taliban supreme leader Haibatullah Akhundzade called on the international community and humanitarian organizations to “help the Afghan people who have suffered from this great tragedy and spare no effort,” the British newspaper quoted.

At a time when the territory was already embroiled in an economic crisis, the extremist group also called on Western countries to lift the restrictions imposed after the withdrawal of the US military from Afghanistan, which brought the insurgent group to power.

However, the involvement of the Taliban could become an obstacle to the distribution of humanitarian aid, as countries such as Germany or Norway say they will not cooperate directly with the rebel group, but will only send aid through organizations such as the United Nations.

Complicating rescue efforts is the fact that the quake has affected areas already hit by heavy rains, landslides and mud, forcing townspeople to dig and search for survivors among the rubble.

In addition to those killed, at least 2,000 people and more than 118,000 children were affected by the earthquake, according to authorities.



Comments are disabled.

Continue Reading

Trending