Connect with us

Top News

The European Union decided on the candidacy of Ukraine

Published

on

The European Union decided on the candidacy of Ukraine

The two-day European Council is preceded by a meeting between the leaders of the EU and the Western Balkans, who have been in the “queue” for years to join the EU bloc, the heads of state and government of 27 countries, including the first – the Portuguese Minister António Costa.

On the table are recent European Commission recommendations regarding membership applications submitted by Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia jThis happened after the Russian invasion of Ukraine on February 24.

Last Friday, the head of the community recommended granting the status of candidate countries to Ukraine and Moldova, while Georgia proposes to give only a “European perspective”, given that additional steps are needed to obtain the status of a candidate country.

Andrea Neves, correspondent for Antena 1 in Brussels



The focus is on Ukraine, it now seems self-evident that the 27 will follow the Commission’s recommendation.

The President of Ukraine said he spoke with 11 EU leaders on Wednesday about Ukraine’s candidacy and would make several more calls on Thursday, believing that all 27 EU countries would support Ukraine’s candidate status.

“We deserve it” he told the crowd in Amsterdam via video link.

“This is a defining moment for us. Some people on my team say it’s like stepping out of darkness into light. From the point of view of our army and society, this will be a great motivation, a great motivational factor for the unity and victory of the Ukrainian people.”

In a telephone conversation on Tuesday, the Portuguese Prime Minister confirmed to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky that Portugal supports granting Ukraine candidate status in the EU accession process.

See also  Mets players hope travel during a pandemic becomes 'crazy'


In a discussion this Wednesday in the Portuguese Parliament António Costa said that in order to take Ukraine seriously as a candidate, the European Union (EU) needs to review its institutional and budgetary architecture.

Last week, the leaders of the Union’s three largest economies – German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, French President Emmanuel Macron and Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi – were in Kyiv to jointly express their support for granting status with effect immediately. France has already said this week that there is a “full consensus” on Ukraine.




Candidate status is the first official step towards membership in the European Union. But accession can still take years, and there are no guarantees of success, especially in the event of a war that can last for years.

The Western Balkan countries Albania, North Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia have been candidate countries for many years. In some cases, more than ten years. Bosnia and Herzegovina applied in 2016 but has not yet received candidate status.

Granting Ukraine EU candidate status would be a historic decision, signaling to Russia that it cannot continue to claim a sphere of influence over its eastern neighbor, Kyiv’s ambassador to Brussels said. Vsevolod Chentsov, head of Ukraine’s mission to the EU, said Russia’s war had united Kyiv with the bloc.

A poll released this week by the think tank of the European Council on Foreign Relations found that 57% of Europeans support Ukraine’s membership bid.


with Lusa

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Proud Pedro Carvalho: “Even though I’m in Brazil, I don’t miss the Portuguese public”

Published

on

Proud Pedro Carvalho: "Even though I'm in Brazil, I don't miss the Portuguese public"

Exactly in 2016 Pedro Carvalho debuted in Brazilian fiction, in the soap opera “Escrava Mãe” on Record TV. This was followed by “O Outro Lado do Paraiso” and “A Dona do Pedaço” in 2017 and 2019 respectively on the “giant” TV Globo. However, the Portuguese public never lost sight of him.

“It was funny because the Portuguese audience really watches Brazilian soap operas. It’s very nice because despite the fact that I’m in Brazil, I don’t lose the Portuguese audience. In fact, I have gained more and I even realize that in terms of social networks. For me it is very important because I am Portuguese, I like to work in my country. No matter how much I travel, I always want our people to recognize me,” he began by saying Pedro Carvalhoin a conversation with SELFIE, in the Continente VIP area, on the second day of Rock in Rio Lisboa.

On returning to Portugal via SIC on the soap opera Amor Amor, the actor said: “I haven’t done anything in Portugal for a long time. The pandemic was terrible in every way, but it made me come back. you know, in TV Globo all projects were suspended at that time. It was good, I didn’t work in my country for some time. I worked and played with colleagues whom I love … “.

Finally, Pedro Carvalho assured us that he will return to Brazil “very soon” where he already has confirmed new projects.

Pedro Carvalho, at the rock in Rio Lisbon

See also  Beginner's home for $ 500,000 in Orange County
Continue Reading

Top News

Pedro Proenza chooses ‘fighting violence’ in football as a priority for the 2022/23 season – Observer

Published

on

Pedro Proenza chooses 'fighting violence' in football as a priority for the 2022/23 season - Observer

The president of the Portuguese Professional Football League (LPFP) chose “fighting violence” as one of the priorities for the 2022/23 season on Tuesday, hoping that the season will be marked by “positive”.

We have some measures to improve competition, namely in the fight against violence, as well as in the framework of expediency and good playing time. We will try to make this season for the return of football in its entirety and recovery after the last two years marked by Covid-19,” said Pedro Proenza.

The manager foresaw the next season at the end of the Liga I and II calendar draw ceremony, which also included the presentation of prizes for the previous season’s performance, hoping that the Portuguese football stages would be “attractive”. families.”

“For the anti-violence measures that we are going to take, we have meetings scheduled in the coming weeks with the Ministry of the Interior in order to be able to reorganize the methodology for the next season. We want football to be a positive and engaging spectacle for families,” said the LPFP leader.

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

Pedro Proenza recalled that the 2022/23 season will be “another season”, marked by a break in the championships, in November and December, due to the World Cup in Qatar, but he believes that this does not affect the competitiveness of the competition.

“The League knew how to adapt by creating a differentiated sporting environment, with the League Cup in that period, to keep the teams competitive. I believe it will be a season full of positivity,” he added.

See also  Angela Merkel knows how to insert a dagger - Meanwhile in America

The manager emphasized that “the clubs have a very strong union in terms of professional football”, and commented on the start of the championship, dictated by the draw.

“We will start the season with a very strong derby between Sporting CP and Sporting CP and then on the third round we will have another derby. [FC Porto — Sporting] it will make us associate ourselves with the show,” he analyzed.

The President of the LPFP also commented on the export vein of the national clubs highlighted in this pre-season with the transfers made, namely FC Porto and Benfica.

“We have a business model that is largely based on the development of young players, Portuguese and foreign. We have the ability to produce talent, but we must be ready to continue when there are outlets. It is important to keep our clubs competitive both nationally and internationally,” concluded Pedro Proenza.

Continue Reading

Top News

3-year-old corrects his mother’s Portuguese and becomes popular on social media – Pais&Filhos

Published

on

3-year-old corrects his mother's Portuguese and becomes popular on social media - Pais&Filhos

news bulletin

  • A three-year-old girl went viral after she corrected her mother’s Portuguese.
  • In videos posted online, the mother shows everyday conversations in which her daughter corrects her.
  • “Glory” began after the mother posted a video in which the girl makes an order in a restaurant.

One girl 3 year old succeeds online after correcting his Portuguese mother videos posted on social media. Little Bianca Cavalcanti has gained a lot of fans online after her 27-year-old mother Andresa Cavalcanti posted tapes showing off her daughter’s knowledge.

@bibiemamiPeople, I will never make a mistake again 😳🤭 know these?!♬ original sound – Andreza and Bianca Cavalcanti

After a video of her ordering at a restaurant went viral and racked up millions of views. child reached an even larger audience when he began correcting his parents’ Portuguese. The mother told UOL she noticed her daughter’s behavior some time ago, but recently decided to record a conversation between them: “I pretended to send an audio and recorded it to see if she would correct me.”

Andresa explained that during the pandemic, when Bianca was still beverages, she noticed her daughter’s speech development and decided to further stimulate the girl with a few games. Thanks to this incentive, Bianca considers these activities her favorite, and Andresa feels satisfaction from this: “It was wonderful. Fulfilled for being able to be so present in the early years of her life.”

3-year-old girl succeeds after correcting her mother’s speech (Photo: Reproduction / TikTok / @bibiemami)

In a video posted on social media, the mother wrote in the caption, “Guys, I will never make a mistake again! Do you know anyone like that?” Even though Bianca already has so much knowledge, Bianca only entered school this year and her mother said that being around children of the same age would be a positive thing for her daughter.

See also  Trump confirms US performed cyberattack versus Russia in 2018

Continue Reading

Trending