Connect with us

sport

Portugal sued for ‘wrongful’ use of its image in FIFA games

Published

on

Portugal sued for 'wrongful' use of its image in FIFA games

Portuguese football player Diogo Santos has filed a lawsuit against an American company that develops and distributes FIFA electronic games, demanding compensation for the “improper and offensive” use of his image.

PORTUGAL DEMANDS ALMOST 54 THOUSAND EUROS

In the lawsuit, which was filed in the Braga court and to which Lusa had access today, Diogo Santos seeks compensation of more than 53,900 plus interest for property and non-pecuniary damage.

It alleges that Electronic Arts Inc., based in California, United States of America, is using its name, likeness, and personal and professional characteristics in its video games titled FIFA 2019 and FIFA MANAGER 2010 without permission. , 2011 , 2012, 2013 and 2014

He also says that he “never gave anyone explicit or even tacit permission” to participate in these electronic games.

Currently Diogo Santos, now 37 years old, originally from Vila Franca de Xira, lives in Fao, Esposenda, played for Felgueiras last season.

He has already passed through Académico de Viseu, Santa Clara, Famalican, Oliveirense, Aroca and Gil Vicente, and also defended the colors of Brasov from Romania.

DYOGO SANTOS COMPARES THE CASE OF MESSI

In action, Diogo Santos says he had access to news that Electronic Arts is paying “some players real fortunes, as in the case of Lionel Messi, who receives US$50 million for appearing in their games.”

“Author [Diogo Santos] does not intend to receive what is being paid to Lionel Messi, but such news proves that the amount requested, given the economic opportunities of the defendant [empresa] and the fact that she pays some players is very modest, ”the lawsuit says.

The action also emphasizes that the games have an annual release, which implies a payment of 6,000 euros for appearing in each game, “which is not even enough, because we are talking about a reward for the annual use of the image of a football player, a professional in the first division of Portugal.”

See also  Rui Jorge: "Fabio Vieira has a great future if he sees fit"

The lawsuit was filed with the court of Braga, which in September 2021 deemed itself “internationally incompetent” to evaluate and judge him.

The footballer appealed to the Court of Appeal, which upheld the decision of the first instance, and then to the High Court of Justice (HJC), which gave him grounds for continuing the process.

In a May 24 decision consulted by Lusa this Thursday, STJ states that “they have international competence to know the substance of a non-contractual civil liability claim for infringement of personal rights through content broadcast around the world, the courts of the country in which the center the interests of the victim is in the period when the damage caused by this offense arises.

“Portuguese courts have international jurisdiction to rule on a claim in which a professional football player who predominantly operated in Portugal seeks compensation for damages caused by the unauthorized use of his name and likeness in FIFA video games produced in the United States of America. and distributed all over the world, ”adds the Supreme.

with LUSA

TO LEARN MORE

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

sport

BALL – Rangers legend: Goalkeeper dies after saying he had six months to live in May (Scotland)

Published

on

BALL - Rangers legend: Goalkeeper dies after saying he had six months to live in May (Scotland)

Misfortune knocked on Andy Goram’s door. The former Scottish goalkeeper passed away this Saturday at the age of 58 from esophageal cancer.

The ex-Rangers had already left a chilling score on May 30, when he explained Daily entry that the doctors gave him six months to live. However, the disease progressed faster than expected, and the guardian died about a month later.

Born in England and educated at Oldham, Andy Gorham experienced the best period of his career from 1991 to 1998 at Rangers. He won six titles and was even recognized by the fans as the best goalkeeper in the history of the club. He also had a spell at Manchester United (2001) in which he won the Premier League and made 43 caps for Scotland, starting in the 1992 and 1996 European Championships.

Gloves hung up, he still worked as a goalkeeping coach at minor clubs in Scotland such as BSC Glasgow, Dunfermline Athletic and the Airdreonians, from which he left in October 2016.

See also  Penn State football coach James Franklin annoyed by Significant Ten interaction on postponement
Continue Reading

sport

Discussion at the airport control regarding the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo from Menorca

Published

on

Discussion at the airport control regarding the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo from Menorca



According to the local press, the security of the star entered into a heated skirmish with representatives of the airport.

Cristiano Ronaldo spent only one day in Menorca, but his short stay on this Spanish island was overshadowed by a small incident on the way to the island’s airport. According to the Menorca newspaper, as the Portuguese striker’s escorts were preparing to go through security in the space’s VIP area, there was a “bitter argument” between one of the CR7 guards and the airport authorities, which even led to the intervention of the Guardia Civil. According to the publication, which reports sources at the airport, it all happened when one of the attacker’s bodyguards walked past the control device and sounded the alarm. It was about the protection that he had on his finger, but since at that moment a woman was at the place for control, she asked to wait for the man to arrive in order to conduct a search. An element of the CR7 team did not like this, “he raised his voice, gesticulating furiously” before passing through security without proper body vision, although he was warned by officials that the Civil Guard would be called. Upon the arrival of the authorities, the situation was quickly rectified and Cristiano Ronaldo’s private jet took off half an hour late. According to the Menorca newspaper, Cristiano “watched the entire scene without participating, with the face of a few friends”.

By appointment


3

leave your comment

See also  two deals in sight :: zerozero.pt

Continue Reading

sport

BALL – Todd Boely era could start with a bang (Chelsea)

Published

on

BALL - Todd Boely era could start with a bang (Chelsea)

New Chelsea owner Todd Boly is set to open a consulate in London by signing a major deal. According to ESPNthe American businessman is exploring the possibility of bringing Neymar to Stamford Bridge and has already moved forward with the first contacts.

The Brazilian’s intention to leave PSG has been widely publicized, as well as the fact that he has Thiago Silva (with whom Neymar shares the dressing room in the Brazilian national team) and Thomas Tuchel in charge (who spent time at PSG from 2018 to 2021). year). ) help entice a 30 year old extreme. The only question is the scale of the operation, as PSG spent 222 million euros in 2017 and intend to recoup some of the money spent on a world record transfer.

If confirmed, it would be a paradigm shift for Roman Abramovich, who took over the reins of the club in 2003. If it is true that the Russian oligarch invested heavily in the Chelsea team during his time at the club, his consulate began by hiring two goalkeepers at…zero cost. Austrian Jürgen Macho and Italy’s Marco Ambrosio arrived at Stamford Bridge on the same day as Abramovich, but they can hardly be counted among the most influential members of the team, as they played eight matches together.

See also  A BOLA - “In 2018, some came with small heads because they didn't have a club. Not now "(Choice)
Continue Reading

Trending