Connect with us

World

Hundreds of North Korean families suffer from mysterious intestinal disease

Published

on

On Friday, North Korea said hundreds of families were suffering from an unspecified intestinal illness, putting pressure on a health care system already overwhelmed by Covid-19.

The country this week identified a new “acute intestinal epidemic” in South Hwanghae province. North Korean leader Kim Jong-un called on the authorities to “contain the epidemic as soon as possible.”

The leader’s sister Kim Yo-jong is among a group of high-ranking officials who are said to have donated medicine to try to help. The drug will be delivered to “more than 800 families affected by an acute epidemic in parts of South Hwanghae province.”

The figure suggests that at least 1,600 people have been infected with the intestinal infection.

The unspecified disease is suspected to be cholera or typhoid fever. If confirmed, the outbreak could exacerbate the country’s chronic food shortages, as South Hwanghae Province is one of North Korea’s main agricultural regions.

One of the worst healthcare systems in the world

Experts have warned of a major public health emergency in the North, which has one of the worst healthcare systems in the world, if Covid-19 spreads. The country has poorly equipped hospitals, few intensive care units, and no capacity for mass testing for COVID-19.

Pyongyang announced the first cases of covid-19 last month and activated the “maximum emergency epidemic prevention system.” However, the virus has reached an unvaccinated population of 25 million, with more than 4.5 million cases of “fever” and 73 deaths reported to date, according to data released by state media.

See also  The second earthquake was registered in China, now in Qinghai province, measuring 7.3 points.

South Korea has offered to help the North deal with the new outbreak by sending vaccines and other aid, but Pyongyang has not formally responded.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Vladimir Putin has delayed the invasion of Ukraine at least three times.

Published

on

Putin has repeatedly consulted with Russian Chief of the General Staff Valery Gerasimov and Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu about the invasion, Europa Press told Ukraine’s chief intelligence director Vadim Skibitsky.

According to Skibitsky, it was the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB), which is responsible for counterintelligence and espionage work, that put pressure on Gerasimov and other military agencies to agree to launch an offensive. .

However, according to the Ukrainian intelligence services, the FSB considered that by the end of February sufficient preparations had already been made to guarantee the success of the Russian Armed Forces in a lightning invasion.

However, according to Kyiv, the Russian General Staff provided the Russian troops with supplies and ammunition for only three days, hoping that the offensive would be swift and immediately successful.

The head of Ukrainian intelligence also emphasized the cooperation of local residents, who always provided the Ukrainian authorities with up-to-date information about the Russian army, such as the number of soldiers or the exact location of troops.

The military offensive launched on February 24 by Russia in Ukraine caused at least 6.5 million internally displaced persons and more than 7.8 million refugees to European countries, which is why the UN classifies this migration crisis as the worst in Europe since World War II (1939-1945). gg.). ).

At the moment, 17.7 million Ukrainians are in need of humanitarian assistance, and 9.3 million are in need of food aid and housing.

The UN has presented as confirmed 6,755 civilian deaths and 10,607 wounded since the beginning of the war, stressing that these figures are much lower than the real ones.

See also  Macron calls for Russian troops to be withdrawn from Zaporozhye power plant - columnist

Continue Reading

World

Life sentence for former Swedish official for spying for Russia

Published

on

A Stockholm court on Monday sentenced a former Swedish intelligence officer to life in prison for spying for Russia, and his brother to at least 12 years in prison. In what is considered one of the most serious cases in Swedish counterintelligence history, much of the trial took place behind closed doors in the name of national security.

According to the prosecution, it was Russian military intelligence, the GRU, who took advantage of the information provided by the two brothers between 2011 and their arrest at the end of 2021.

Peyman Kia, 42, has held many senior positions in the Swedish security apparatus, including the army and his country’s intelligence services (Säpo). His younger brother, Payam, 35, is accused of “participating in the planning” of the plot and of “managing contacts with Russia and the GRU, including passing on information and receiving financial rewards.”

Both men deny the charges, and their lawyers have demanded an acquittal on charges of “aggravated espionage,” according to the Swedish news agency TT.

The trial coincides with another case of alleged Russian espionage, with the arrest of the Russian-born couple in late November in a suburb of Stockholm by a police team arriving at dawn in a Blackhawk helicopter.

Research website Bellingcat identified them as Sergei Skvortsov and Elena Kulkova. The couple allegedly acted as sleeper agents for Moscow, having moved to Sweden in the late 1990s.

According to Swedish press reports, the couple ran companies specializing in the import and export of electronic components and industrial technology.

See also  Four European Union countries warn they can't take in so many incoming migrants

The man was again detained at the end of November for “illegal intelligence activities.” His partner, suspected of being an accomplice, has been released but remains under investigation.

According to Swedish authorities, the arrests are not related to the trial of the Kia brothers.

Continue Reading

World

Ukraine admitted that Russia may announce a general mobilization

Published

on

“They can strengthen their positions. We understand that this can happen. At the same time, we do not rule out that they will announce a general mobilization,” Danilov said in an interview with the Ukrainska Pravda online publication.

Danilov believed that this mobilization would also be convened “to exterminate as many as possible” of Russian citizens, so that “they would no longer have any problems on their territory.”

In this sense, Danilov also reminded that Russia has not given up on securing control over Kyiv or the idea of ​​the complete “destruction” of Ukraine. “We have to be ready for anything,” he said.

“I want everyone to understand that [os russos] they have not given up on the idea of ​​destroying our nation. If they don’t have Kyiv in their hands, they won’t have anything in their hands, we must understand this,” continued Danilov, who also did not rule out that a new Russian offensive would come from “Belarus and other territories.” .

As such, Danilov praised the decision of many of its residents who chose to stay in the Ukrainian capital when the war broke out in order to defend the city.

“They expected that there would be panic, that people would run, that there would be nothing to protect Kyiv,” he added, referring to President Volodymyr Zelensky.

The military offensive launched on February 24 by Russia in Ukraine caused at least 6.5 million internally displaced persons and more than 7.8 million refugees to European countries, which is why the UN classifies this migration crisis as the worst in Europe since World War II (1939-1945). gg.). ).

See also  The second earthquake was registered in China, now in Qinghai province, measuring 7.3 points.

At the moment, 17.7 million Ukrainians are in need of humanitarian assistance, and 9.3 million are in need of food aid and housing.

The Russian invasion, justified by Russian President Vladimir Putin on the need to “denazify” and demilitarize Ukraine for Russia’s security, was condemned by the international community at large, which responded by sending weapons to Ukraine and imposing political and economic sanctions on Russia.

The UN has presented as confirmed 6,755 civilian deaths and 10,607 wounded since the beginning of the war, stressing that these figures are much lower than the real ones.

Continue Reading

Trending