Connect with us

World

Putin escaped assassination

Published

on

Russian President Vladimir Putin reportedly escaped an assassination attempt in March, shortly after the invasion of Ukraine began. Contrary to previous rumors, this information was released not by anonymous sources on the Internet, but by the head of Ukraine’s military intelligence, General Kirill Budanov, who says he has no doubts about its veracity.

“There was an assassination attempt on Putin. This information is not public. It was a failed attempt, but it really took place. It was about two months ago,” Budanov told the Ukrainian Pravda website. The full interview will not air until Tuesday, but in a short commercial released on Monday, the head of Kyiv’s intelligence services insists that the alleged attack “actually happened.” “I repeat, this assassination attempt was unsuccessful,” says the general, who attributes the alleged attack on Putin to “people from the Caucasus,” without elaborating.

As recently as last week, in an interview with Sky News, Budanov said a coup to remove Putin from power was “already underway” and that the Russian leader was “severely ill” with cancer. When asked then whether this information was propaganda, Budanov answered categorically: “This is my work. If I don’t know about it, who knows?”

The Kremlin has not commented on the alleged assassination attempt on Putin, nor has it commented on the growing rumors about the president’s health. Rumors once again circulated this Monday that Putin had recently undergone cancer surgery. According to the Telegram account “General SVR”, the 69-year-old Russian president reportedly underwent surgery early last week and the operation was successful, but on Friday night he had problems recovering and his health deteriorated, although he later recovered. During this period, Russian television is said to have shown falsified and archival footage to give the impression that Putin was sticking to his usual plans.

See also  Theranos Founder's Trial Begins: The Rise and Fall of a Silicon Valley Icon

Russian soldier sentenced to life imprisonment
On Monday, Russian soldier Vadim Shishimarin was sentenced to life in prison for killing an unarmed civilian in Ukraine’s first war crimes trial. 21-year-old Shishimarin confessed in court to the execution of 62-year-old Alexander Shelipov in the village of Chupakhovka on February 28 and asked for forgiveness from the widow of the deceased. A soldier who served in a tank regiment said he obeyed an order from a superior officer who ordered him to kill a civilian so as not to report his position.

Azovstal soldiers will be judged
The Ukrainian military who surrendered at the Azovstal plant will be judged by an “international court” in the self-proclaimed Donetsk region, said the head of the region, Denis Pushilin.

Russian airstrike kills 87 soldiers
At least 87 Ukrainian servicemen were killed in a Russian airstrike on a training center in the city of Desna last week, the most brutal strike ever against Ukrainian forces.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Kyiv is negotiating with Moscow on the release of foreign fighters – News

Published

on

Moscow is holding captive “thousands” of Ukrainians and “military personnel from all over the world who have volunteered” to defend Ukraine, Zelensky reminded in statements to the US television channel NBC.

The head of the Ukrainian state thanked for the support of volunteer fighters, whom he considers “heroes”, and confirmed that negotiations are underway to release those who were captured.

“Everyone understands that the war in Ukraine today is here on this earth, but tomorrow it can happen anywhere in Europe, and the “day after tomorrow” can happen in the United States,” the Ukrainian president said.

Thus, he added, “it would be absolutely fair to say that the war in Ukraine is already a war in Europe and the United States, only – territorially – it is happening here.”

Zelenskiy’s announcement came on the same day that the defense of British citizen Sean Pinner, who was sentenced to death in the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic in eastern Ukraine, announced that he had appealed the sentence.

Pinner, 48, was sentenced to death on June 9, along with fellow Briton Aiden Aislin, 28, and Moroccan citizen Braquim Saadoun, after being found guilty of participating in hostilities “as mercenaries” in support of Ukrainian forces.

Two Britons were captured by Russian forces during Moscow’s siege of the Ukrainian city of Mariupol on the Sea of ​​Azov, Brakim Saadoun was taken prisoner in March.

See also  Eight police officers arrested for the execution of a 21-year-old in Venezuela
Continue Reading

World

Turkey lifts veto on Swedish and Finnish membership in NATO

Published

on

Turkey lifted its veto on Finland and Sweden joining NATO on Tuesday.

The leaders of the three countries met on the sidelines of the NATO summit in Madrid.

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has announced that Turkey has lifted its veto on Finland and Sweden joining the Atlantic Alliance after signing a memorandum that “answers Ankara’s concerns.”

“We have completed a very constructive meeting with the President [da Turquia, Recep Tayyip] Erdogan or President [da Finlândia, Sauli] Niinistö and the Prime Minister [da Suécia, Magdalena] Andersson, and I am pleased to announce that we have reached an agreement that paves the way for Sweden and Finland to join NATO,” Stoltenberg said.

The Secretary General of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) spoke at a press conference at the Exhibition Park of Madrid, in the northeast of the Spanish capital, where the summit of the leaders of the North Atlantic Alliance is taking place.

MADRNATO/POOL/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images

Sweden and Finland applied to join NATO on May 18 after the Russian invasion of Ukraine ended the historic policy of neutrality.

See also  Life imprisonment for a Portuguese émigré who killed his wife and child in Switzerland
Continue Reading

World

G20 summit: Draghi says Putin’s personal involvement ruled out

Published

on

Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi said on Tuesday that the presence of Russian President Vladimir Putin at the next G20 summit in Bali was ruled out by the Indonesian presidency of the body.

At the summit of the group of seven most industrialized countries of the world (G7), which ended this Tuesday in Germany, they asked about The Kremlin’s announcement that Putin would attend the Bali summit in November, Draghi said that Indonesian President Joko Widodo ruled out the possibility.

Widodo “was categorical: he [Putin] not to come. What could happen – I don’t know what will happen, but what it could happen, maybe it’s remote interference“said Draghi, whose the country will hand over the G20 presidency to Indonesia in Bali.

The information has not been This was stated by the head of the Indonesian state, Joko Widodo. who will meet on Tuesday in Kyiv with his Ukrainian counterpart in an attempt to achieve a ceasefire in the conflict caused by the Russian invasion.

Joko Widodo, who attended Monday’s G7 summit in Germany, is already on his way to Kyiv, Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi said. accompanies the head of state in a video message.

After a visit to Ukraine and meeting with President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky, The Indonesian leader is heading to Russia, where he will meet with Putin on Thursday, becoming the first Asian leader to visit the two countries since the start of the Russian invasion of Ukraine on February 24.

Before leaving on Sunday, Widodo said he was going to ask Zelensky and Putin an immediate ceasefire and the search for a peace agreement through dialogue.

See also  Life imprisonment for a Portuguese émigré who killed his wife and child in Switzerland

in spite of pressure from countries such as the US, Canada and Australia to keep Putin out of the G20 summit from 11 to 13 November.on the island of Bali, Indonesia still retains its invitation to the Russian leader.

In April, the President of Indonesia, publicly known as Jokowi, sent Zelensky a G20 invitation and said Indonesia was ready to “contribute to the peace effort”.

In the past decade, Russia has been excluded from the group of industrialized countries then known as the G8, renamed the G7 after the 2014 invasion of the Ukrainian Crimean peninsula.

with LUSA

Continue Reading

Trending