Connect with us


The Cumbre Vieja volcano has already fallen asleep. See footprints left by a three-month eruption on La Palma Island – Multimedia.



More than three months after the start of the September 19 eruption, the volcano Cumbre Vieja on La Palma Island, Canary Islands, fell asleep again.

On Christmas Day and after 10 consecutive days with no visible signs of activity, including significant lava flows, earthquakes or sulfur dioxide emissions, the authorities announced that the eruption, which is considered the longest eruption in the history of the Spanish island, as well as the most destructive of the last century in Europe it was over.

A few days before the end of the eruption, it was announced that while the volcano was supposed to show signs that things were coming to an end, authorities and local people began to assess the damage done, as well as proceed with what is expected. there will be a long recovery process.

Click on the images to see how the Cumbre Vieja volcano has changed the landscape of La Palma.

According to the data provided El País newspaperIt is estimated that the lava emanating from the volcano wiped out 1,219 hectares of land from the face of the earth, affecting more than 3,000 buildings and leading to the evacuation of 7,000 people.

During the period of activity of the volcano, more than 9000 earthquakes have occurred. The lava rivers of the Cumbre Vieja were moving towards the sea, as a result of which the size of the Spanish island increased by 43 hectares.

The region’s government estimates that the damage from the natural disaster will reach 1 billion euros, and experts say the restoration of the island could take several years, while it is noted that even after the completion of the eruption, there are still associated risks. with the release of poisonous gases and landslides.

See also  US drone attack on DAISH-K in Afghanistan

Evolution of the La Palma disaster as seen from space

Recall that in October the Portuguese Institute of the Sea and Atmosphere (IPMA) and GeoSat published satellite images. captured 10 days after the start of the eruption on La Palma, heralding the destruction of the land and the lava flows that reached the sea.

Click images for more details.

At the time, the IPMA showed that lava emissions were as high as 700 meters per hour, creating temperatures in excess of 1000 degrees Celsius. An estimated 6,000 to 9,000 tons of sulfur dioxide are emitted into the atmosphere per day.

European satellites Copernicus also captured the disaster from space, being among the first to pick up the first seismic signals on 11 September in the southern part of the Spanish island.

In just one week, about 22,000 tremors were recorded with increasing frequency and strength, immediately indicating volcanic activity that eventually occurred on September 19.

Click images for more details.

In November, the volcano reached a particularly aggressive phase.becoming more explosive and violent and the European satellites of Copernicus again showed the destruction inflicted on the island.

Click images for more details.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


World’s largest bacteria found in Caribbean swamps



Scientists have discovered the world’s largest bacterium in a Caribbean swamp, which, unlike most, is not microscopic and can be seen with the naked eye, according to Science magazine.

The thin white thread, about the size of a human eyelash, is “by far the largest bacteria known to date,” said Jean-Marie Folland, a marine biologist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and co-author of the paper citing the discovery. made.

Olivier Gros, a co-author and biologist at the University of the French West Indies and Guyana, discovered the first specimen of this bacterium, named Thiomargarita magnifica, or “magnificent sulfur pearl,” clinging to underwater leaves in the Guadeloupe archipelago in the Caribbean. Sea, 2009

The scientist did not immediately determine that this is a bacterium, due to its surprisingly large size, since these bacteria reach an average length of 0.9 centimeters.

Only more recent genetic analyzes have shown that the organism is a single bacterial cell.

“This is an incredible discovery. It raises the question of how many of these giant bacteria exist in the world and reminds us not to underestimate bacteria,” said Petra Levin, a microbiologist at the University of Washington who was not involved in the study. .

Olivier Gros also found bacteria attached to oyster shells, rocks and glass bottles in the marshes of Guadeloupe.

Scientists haven’t been able to grow it in the lab yet, but researchers say the cell has an unusual structure for bacteria.

See also  Eddie Jaku, 101-year-old Holocaust survivor, is dead

The principal difference is that it has a large central compartment, or vacuole (a cavity in cellular protoplasm), which allows some cellular functions to be carried out in this controlled environment rather than in the entire cell.

“The acquisition of this large central vacuole definitely helps the cell bypass the physical limitations (…) of cell size,” said Manuel Campos, a biologist at the French National Center for Scientific Research who was not involved in the study.

The researchers also noted that they are not sure why the bacterium is so large, but co-author Jean-Marie Folland suggested that it may be an adaptation to help it avoid being eaten by smaller organisms.

Continue Reading


Jose Eduardo dos Santos hospitalized in intensive care – News



José Eduardo dos Santos has been admitted to a hospital in Barcelona, ​​the city where he has recently been living, and his condition is considered very serious, promotes business magazine.

This information was also confirmed to Lusa by a source close to the ex-head of state.

The internment came after the deteriorating health of the former president of Angola, who left power in 2017 after 38 years in office.

José Eduardo dos Santos, or “Zedu” as he was called in Angola, began his government work on November 11, 1975, as part of the country’s first government and then minister of foreign affairs.

For more than 40 years in power, in 1979, after replacing António Agostinho Neto, the first president of Angola, José Eduardo dos Santos ruled in peacetime for less than a decade and a half and only participated directly in elections twice (1992 and 2012). apart from legislative elections (2008).

Born on August 28, 1942 in Luanda, José Eduardo dos Santos lived until his youth in the Sambizanga region, in the Angolan capital, but left the country at the age of 19 when he was already part of underground groups opposed to the Portuguese colonial regime.

He is one of the founders of the MPLA Youth, which he coordinated abroad, and in 1962 he joined the People’s Army for the Liberation of Angola (EPLA), and the following year became the party’s first representative in Brazzaville, the capital of Angola. Republic of the Congo.

In September 1975, he joined the elite of the party, being an elected member of the Central Committee and the Politburo of the MPLA, naturally moving into the government of Agostinho Neto after the declaration of independence.

See also  German sentenced to 10 years in prison for allowing a Yezidi child to die, tied to a window to withstand temperatures up to 50 degrees Celsius

It was as head of Angolan diplomacy that he achieved the first national goal for the then People’s Republic of Angola, which was at war. In 1976, after a tense diplomatic struggle, the country was recognized as a full member of the Organization of African Unity (OAU) and the United Nations (UN).

In the meantime, he served as First Deputy Prime Minister in the government until December 1978, when he was appointed Minister of Planning until his call to the presidency, a position he held for 38 years.

Continue Reading


Escaped goat (accidentally) wounds several Russian soldiers in Zaporizhia – Columnist



You have free access to all Observer articles as a subscriber.

Four dozen Russian soldiers were in a hospital in the village of Kinski Rozdory in Zaporozhye, Ukraine, when they were “attacked” by… a goat.

around the perimeter of the site, the occupiers installed a system of “all-round defense” with “stretch marks”. “Trips” are very thin metal wires that are used to create traps and are connected to mechanical or electronic means that trigger a fulminant that detonates a charge – in this case, they were grenades.

It was after the Russian soldiers had installed this entire system that the unexpected invasion of the hospital perimeter took place. A goat that escaped from a farm near a medical facility appeared on the scene and accidentally detonated a series of grenades. Several Russian soldiers were reportedly wounded as they advanced in the direction of the Ukrainian security forces on Monday. quotes the Russian newspaper Pravda..

It is reported that the Moscow security forces were hospitalized with injuries of varying degrees.accidentally caused by the action of an animal, which, according to the Russian site, moved chaotically around the area, in the village of Kinskie Rozdory.

As for the animal, Pravda claims that its “fate” is still unknown, so it is not known if the goat survived.


See also  Jorge Sampaio laments the rise of totalitarianism and populism - Current Events
Continue Reading