Connect with us

World

Covid-19: British wait for third dose after Omicron warning – News

Published

on

The timetable page on the Internet was temporarily unavailable due to excessive demand after Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Sunday urged eligible adults, that is, those who received a second dose, to contact centers.

The result was a race through the centers with an expectation of several hours from this morning.

At St Thomas’s Hospital on the south bank of the River Thames in London, the line ran across Westminster Bridge to Parliament on the other bank.

The system is to open appointments for those under 30 on Wednesday with the goal of making the third dose available to anyone over 18 by the end of the month, which would mean administering about a million vaccines every day.

Health Minister Sajid Javid acknowledged in parliament today that routine medical procedures should be postponed to achieve the goal, but clarified that if “reinforcement is not a priority now, the health consequences will be more severe in the coming months.”

At least one person infected with the Omicron variant of covid-19 has died in the UK and 10 more have been hospitalized.

Javid told MPs that deaths start to rise about two weeks after infection, so “this number is expected to rise sharply in the coming days and weeks.”

It is currently estimated that Omicron’s variant accounts for 20% of cases in England and 44% in London, where it should become dominant in the next 48 hours.

David added that the actual daily number of cases is currently expected to be around 200,000, compared to an average of 52,000 over the past seven days.

See also  Russian soldiers on the run leave letters

The UK Health Safety Agency (UKHSA) said the number of confirmed Omicron cases in the UK increased 50% in 24 hours, with 1,576 cases identified since Sunday, for a total of 4,713.

The agency said the 10 hospitalized people infected with the Omicron variant in England were between the ages of 18 and 85, most of whom were vaccinated with two doses.

According to UKHSA estimates, if the number of infected with this variant continues to grow at its current rate, in the coming days it will become dominant, that is, responsible for more than 50% of all cases of COVID-19 infection in the UK.

The body estimates that this number is doubling every 2-3 days, so by the end of this month there could be more than a million infections per day in the UK by the end of this month.

The country’s pandemic warning rate has climbed to fourth level (on a five-point scale) because this option is “extremely contagious”.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson admitted that the country is facing an “emergency” due to an expected “flood” of infections that could cause “many deaths” if hospitals are overwhelmed with patients, given the rate of infection.

Preliminary data from the UKHSA showed that efficacy against the new variant appears to increase significantly after a booster dose of the vaccine, providing about 70% to 75% protection against symptomatic infections.

Last week, the government announced new restrictions in England, such as the widespread use of masks in closed public places, mandatory health passes to enter clubs or concert halls, and a recommendation to work remotely.

See also  Wuhan hosts massive water park get together as coronavirus worries recede

The rules in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are set by the respective autonomous governments that have already adopted these measures and advocate others, such as mandatory isolation of contacts of people infected with the Omicron variant.

The United Kingdom is the country with the highest number of COVID-19 deaths in Europe, 146,477 since the start of the pandemic, with 81.3% of the population vaccinated with two doses of the vaccine and 41% with a third dose.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

“I share your pain,” Putin told the mothers of Russian soldiers sent to war in Ukraine – War in Ukraine

Published

on

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday told mothers of Russian soldiers fighting in Ukraine that he “shares the pain” of those who have lost their children and urged them not to believe the “lie” about the invasion.

“I want you to know that I personally share your pain. We know that nothing can replace the loss of a child,” Putin said.

According to news site EuroNews, the Russian leader also added that Mother’s Day, celebrated in Russia this Sunday, will be marked this year by “a sense of unease and unease” among women whose “thoughts will be with their boys.”

Putin’s meeting with the soldiers’ mothers took place at the leader’s residence outside Moscow and was the first of its kind since the start of the Russian invasion on February 24. The Kremlin rarely talks about the losses suffered in Ukraine, and the meeting, which took place this Friday, comes after weeks of criticism on social media from relatives of soldiers mobilized in early autumn.

Many soldiers’ wives and mothers blamed the authorities for not properly training and equipping them before being sent to the front, EuroNews reports.

“Life is more complicated than what you see on TV or on the Internet, where you can’t trust anything. A lot of false information, a lot of lies,” Putin replied.

The Russian president also said he occasionally talks on his cell phone to soldiers sent to Ukraine and said he was “surprised” by their “state of mind.”

“They give me reason to say that they are heroes, it’s true,” he added.

See also  Unprecedented rise in temperature recorded over the past 150 years - world

Continue Reading

World

Russia sends elite paratroopers to the front line in Donbass after leaving Kherson – Obozrevatel

Published

on

whitefish here our liveblog from the war in Ukraine

In the first hours of the invasion, on February 24, Russian paratroopers were in the Kyiv area. A few weeks ago they were dedicated to the defense of territories west of the Dnieper, in Kherson. After the withdrawal of Russian troops, some units are sent to a new front, this time to the Donetsk and Luhansk regions.

British Ministry of Defense disclosed that, despite the “strong weakening” during the nine months of the war, part of the units of the Russian Air Force (VDV) will return to the combat front.

Some of these units will be reinforced by Russians called up during the partial mobilization announced in September by President Vladimir Putin. Despite the promise of training and equipment, soldiers arrive in Ukraine ill-prepared, and there are already records of the first deaths among mobilized Russian troops. However, the British Ministry assumes that the new elements integrated into the Airborne Forces will be sent to the most important places.

Russian soldiers died in Ukraine 10 days after being sent

In the most recent report, the United Kingdom points out that “although these untrained soldiers undermine the supposedly elite capability of the Airborne Forces, Russia is likely to deploy these units in sectors considered particularly important.”

In the Donbass, units are expected to support the defense of the Kremina-Svatovo area in Lugansk. According to The Telegraph, it was in this city that Russian troops settled after leaving Kharkov. The British ministry also says units could be sent to reinforce defensive operations in the town of Bakhmut in Donetsk, which has been one of the hotbeds of heavy fighting in recent weeks.

Continue Reading

World

Iranian advisers killed in Crimea by Ukrainian security forces – Obozrevatel

Published

on

whitefish here our liveblog about the war in Ukraine

A senior Ukrainian security official confirmed the killing of military advisers in Crimea and warned that any Iranians in Ukraine who support Russia’s invasion of the country would be targeted by firing squad.

Statements were made by Secretary of the Council of National Defense and Defense of Ukraine Oleksiy Danilov, who said that the Iranians were in Crimea in order to to teach Russian soldiers to operate Shahed-136 combat dronessupplied to Russia by Iran.

Although Danilov did not confirm how many Iranian troops were killed by Kyiv forces in October, the Israeli newspaper Jerusalem Post It was reported that ten councilors were killed during Ukraine’s attack on Crimea, which has been occupied by Russia since 2014.

According to The keeperin an interview in Kyiv, Danilov downplayed the attack, saying the soldiers were “collaborating with terrorists and taking part in the destruction” of Ukraine. “You shouldn’t be where you shouldn’t be”he added.

After Tehran initially denied supplying the drones to Moscow, Iran’s foreign minister Hossein Amirabdollahyanconfirmed that the government provided “a limited number of drones to Russia months before the war in Ukraine.

Iran admits for the first time that it supplied drones to Moscow

In an interview Thursday, Danilov said it remains to be determined if Iran will supply ballistic missiles to Russia in addition to drones, saying if that’s true, then Moscow.does not have the ability to produce its own missilesat least in numbers that would allow him to continue a full-scale war.

See also  Russian soldiers on the run leave letters

The Ukrainian official also questioned the effectiveness of sanctions imposed on Iran by the West, given that the country, which “has been under sanctions since 1979,” has the ability to “produce such weapons.”

The official documents lying on Alexei Danilov’s desk were covered with white sheets for security reasons, but in the middle of them was a game of chess with only one black pawn going forward. When asked about the symbolism of the board, Danilov replied that the game is a metaphor for a world where the rules no longer apply or respect.

“It shows that now everyone has begun [a jogar] with black,” said the soldier. “Or that black can also be white, or that it can be gray.”

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

Continue Reading

Trending