Connect with us

World

China orders arrest of 13 million Xi’an residents

Published

on

Chinese authorities have issued an imprisonment order for 13 million residents in Xi’an since Thursday due to renewed COVID-19 cases in the central provincial capital of Shanxi.

“With the exception of medical professionals, everyone else [cidadãos] they should stay at home unless there is a compelling reason, ”the local health commission said in a statement quoted by international news agencies.

The commission announced the closure of schools and the suspension of all activities, asking residents to work from home.

Only one person per family is allowed. purchases “every two days” and all “Minor” establishments ordered to closeexcept supermarkets, convenience stores and medical facilities.

Residents cannot leave Xi’an unless absolutely necessary and must first obtain certificates approved by local authorities upon presentation of a negative test.

According to the specialized website VariFlight, more than 85% of flights at Xi’an airport have already been canceled.

The decision, which affects more people than the population of Portugal, was made just over a month before the start of the Beijing Winter Olympics.

China’s National Health Commission announced on Wednesday that 57 new cases The diagnosis was made on Tuesday across the country, 53 is Xi’an, the former capital of the empire, famous for its “terracotta army” discovered in 1974.

Since the start of this latest COVID-19 outbreak on December 9, Shaanxi Province has reported 149 positive local cases, 143 of which are in Xi’an.

So far, China has not confirmed a single case of local transmission of the omicron variant, but reports that it has found imported cases from arriving foreign travelers while they were in quarantine.

See also  Covid-19: Portugal is 6th country in the European Union with newest daily infections - News

China has adopted a zero-tolerance strategy for the coronavirus, which includes strict entry controls with up to three weeks of quarantine and multiple tests of various types, as well as mass testing campaigns and random confinement in areas where the outbreak has been detected.

There are currently 1,765 active cases in the country, of which seven remain in serious condition, as well as 501 asymptomatic cases, according to a report released today by Chinese health authorities.

According to official figures, since the beginning of the pandemic in China, 100,544 people have been infected, of which 4,636 have died.

The virus that causes COVID-19, named SARS-CoV-2, was first detected in Wuang, a city in central China, at the end of 2019.

Since then, respiratory diseases have killed more than 5.3 million people worldwide.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Bank of Portugal sees risk of falling house prices | Bank of Portugal

Published

on

After four months of war in Ukraine and at a time when inflation reaches its highest level in decades, Banco de Portugal (BdP) is raising the tone of its financial stability risk warnings. Among the main risks now is the possibility of a “significant correction in market prices for residential real estate”, a scenario that, if confirmed, could have a direct impact on banks’ balance sheets.

Continue Reading

World

World’s largest bacteria found in Caribbean swamps

Published

on

Scientists have discovered the world’s largest bacterium in a Caribbean swamp, which, unlike most, is not microscopic and can be seen with the naked eye, according to Science magazine.

The thin white thread, about the size of a human eyelash, is “by far the largest bacteria known to date,” said Jean-Marie Folland, a marine biologist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and co-author of the paper citing the discovery. made.

Olivier Gros, a co-author and biologist at the University of the French West Indies and Guyana, discovered the first specimen of this bacterium, named Thiomargarita magnifica, or “magnificent sulfur pearl,” clinging to underwater leaves in the Guadeloupe archipelago in the Caribbean. Sea, 2009

The scientist did not immediately determine that this is a bacterium, due to its surprisingly large size, since these bacteria reach an average length of 0.9 centimeters.

Only more recent genetic analyzes have shown that the organism is a single bacterial cell.

“This is an incredible discovery. It raises the question of how many of these giant bacteria exist in the world and reminds us not to underestimate bacteria,” said Petra Levin, a microbiologist at the University of Washington who was not involved in the study. .

Olivier Gros also found bacteria attached to oyster shells, rocks and glass bottles in the marshes of Guadeloupe.

Scientists haven’t been able to grow it in the lab yet, but researchers say the cell has an unusual structure for bacteria.

See also  Putin will make military decisions at the level of colonel or brigade | Russia

The principal difference is that it has a large central compartment, or vacuole (a cavity in cellular protoplasm), which allows some cellular functions to be carried out in this controlled environment rather than in the entire cell.

“The acquisition of this large central vacuole definitely helps the cell bypass the physical limitations (…) of cell size,” said Manuel Campos, a biologist at the French National Center for Scientific Research who was not involved in the study.

The researchers also noted that they are not sure why the bacterium is so large, but co-author Jean-Marie Folland suggested that it may be an adaptation to help it avoid being eaten by smaller organisms.

Continue Reading

World

Jose Eduardo dos Santos hospitalized in intensive care – News

Published

on

José Eduardo dos Santos has been admitted to a hospital in Barcelona, ​​the city where he has recently been living, and his condition is considered very serious, promotes business magazine.

This information was also confirmed to Lusa by a source close to the ex-head of state.

The internment came after the deteriorating health of the former president of Angola, who left power in 2017 after 38 years in office.

José Eduardo dos Santos, or “Zedu” as he was called in Angola, began his government work on November 11, 1975, as part of the country’s first government and then minister of foreign affairs.

For more than 40 years in power, in 1979, after replacing António Agostinho Neto, the first president of Angola, José Eduardo dos Santos ruled in peacetime for less than a decade and a half and only participated directly in elections twice (1992 and 2012). apart from legislative elections (2008).

Born on August 28, 1942 in Luanda, José Eduardo dos Santos lived until his youth in the Sambizanga region, in the Angolan capital, but left the country at the age of 19 when he was already part of underground groups opposed to the Portuguese colonial regime.

He is one of the founders of the MPLA Youth, which he coordinated abroad, and in 1962 he joined the People’s Army for the Liberation of Angola (EPLA), and the following year became the party’s first representative in Brazzaville, the capital of Angola. Republic of the Congo.

In September 1975, he joined the elite of the party, being an elected member of the Central Committee and the Politburo of the MPLA, naturally moving into the government of Agostinho Neto after the declaration of independence.

See also  China launches initiative to set global data security rules

It was as head of Angolan diplomacy that he achieved the first national goal for the then People’s Republic of Angola, which was at war. In 1976, after a tense diplomatic struggle, the country was recognized as a full member of the Organization of African Unity (OAU) and the United Nations (UN).

In the meantime, he served as First Deputy Prime Minister in the government until December 1978, when he was appointed Minister of Planning until his call to the presidency, a position he held for 38 years.

Continue Reading

Trending