Connect with us

Top News

Portuguese MNE does not recommend all travel to Ethiopia

Published

on

An expired Citizen Card is used to travel and apply to reside in the United Kingdom.

The war between rebels in the Tigray region of Ethiopia and the central executive branch of Ethiopia began a year ago, on November 4, 2020, when the Ethiopian prime minister ordered an offensive against the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (NTLF) in response to an attack on a federal military base. and after the escalation of political tensions.

Tigray rebels announced earlier this week that they had taken control of the cities of Dessi and Kombolcha in the Amhara region, just 400 kilometers from Ethiopia’s capital Addis Ababa, to which the Ethiopian government responded by declaring a national emergency. the initial stage for six months.

This latest PFLP offensive puts him in the same territory as the Oromo Liberation Army (OLA) rebels, with whom they announced an alliance at the end of August.

On Saturday, the United States ordered the removal of a nonessential team from its embassy in Ethiopia following the intensification of hostilities, and in recent days several countries (Saudi Arabia, Norway, Sweden, Denmark) have asked their citizens to leave the country in the face of an escalating war.

The Portuguese Embassy in Addis Ababa is currently monitoring the presence of 26 Portuguese citizens in Ethiopia, and so far, he guarantees, there have been no requests for help from the country’s citizens.

Citizens of a country residing in that country should keep in touch with the embassy ([email protected]). The Consular Emergency Section ([email protected] or +351 217 929 714 | +351 961 706 472) is also monitoring the situation.

On Friday, the Foreign Office updated its travel advice regarding Ethiopia and discourages all travel to that country.

See also  Mary Trump appeared in written testimony as a battle over the publication of her rampaging book

The community portal mentions that a state of emergency was declared nationwide on November 2 and that public gatherings and demonstrations were banned and curfews and roadblocks were imposed without any warning.

The ministry says travelers should keep a close eye on local news and social media and carry a copy of their ID with them at all times, avoid crowds and follow instructions from authorities.

“The military conflict in northern Ethiopia, which began in the Tigray region a year ago, has spread to the regional states of Amhara and Afar. The conflict can escalate quickly and without warning, ”the message says.

The note also mentions an increase in crime against expatriates and citizens in Addis Ababa, especially violent robberies, especially in the Bole areas (including near the Atlas and Ramada hotels) in the Piazza, Mercato, Meshualakya and Menaharya districts in Meskela. A square on the outskirts of the new stadium and among the mountain hills in the north of the city, especially in the Jeka Hills.

“It is recommended to be extremely careful when traveling to these places, traveling with the company and avoiding night trips,” the ministry said.

On the other hand, extreme caution is advised on all travel around the country due to the potential for unrest and clashes, as well as frequent interruptions to the Internet and other forms of communication.

It is also reminded of the need to update contacts and details of the stay in Ethiopia of citizens traveling there, namely through the email address of the Consular Emergency Department ([email protected]) and the Embassy in Addis Ababa (embportaddis @gmail .com).

See also  The Portuguese Reading Room of Pernambuco receives an exhibition dedicated to the first seaplane crossing of the Atlantic.

According to official figures, after a year of conflict, thousands of people were killed, about two million were internally displaced in Tigray and at least 75,000 Ethiopians fled to neighboring Sudan.

In addition, according to the United Nations World Food Program, nearly seven million people have faced “famine” in northern Ethiopia due to the war.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

The abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad will not be accepted by parliament, MP says – Observer

Published

on

The abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad will not be accepted by parliament, MP says - Observer

According to Socialist MP Paulo Pisco, the views of the BE, PCP and PAN on the abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad were voted on Tuesday in a parliamentary committee.

The Committee on Foreign Affairs and Portuguese Communities voted on Tuesday in favor of four projects – from the Left Bloc, the Communist Party of Portugal, “People-Animal-Nature” and “Enough”, which mainly advocate the abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad and free school textbooks.

According to Paulo Pisco, a socialist member of the commission, the opinions of the BE, PKP and PAN were approved, but Chega’s opinion deserved to be abstained from the PS because it contained “xenophobic elements” in its purpose.

The MP had in mind, in particular, the recipients of this teaching, which is currently intended not only for the Portuguese or the descendants of the Portuguese, but also for those who want to learn the Portuguese language, with which Chega allegedly disagrees, according to Paulo Pisco. .

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

After the approval of these opinions, the abolition of the bribe would be discussed and voted on in the plenary session of the Assembly of the Republic, but Paulo Pisco said that they should not be approved, since the “commitment” of the government is different.

“The government’s obligation is to reduce the burden of the Portuguese” and this will always be determined “in every approved state budget”.

Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese health minister rejects conflict of interest over marriage to president

Published

on

The health minister said there was no conflict of interest in her marriage to the current chairman of the Order of Dietitians, saying that the trusteeship of that body had been delegated to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion.


Portugal Digital with Lusa



“Honestly, I don’t think it exists. I have no doubt that this Lady Secretary of State will fill this leadership role,” Manuel Pizarro said on Monday (age 26) on the sidelines of the Pharmacist’s Day celebrations in Sintra, in the Lisbon area.

Aware of the possible conflict of interest, Manuel Pizarro explained that he took “the most appropriate measure (…)”, which was to entrust the functions of guardianship of the Order of Nutritionists to Margarida Tavares.”

“(…) Since I took office as a minister, I have been aware that, since professional organizations have an administrative oversight role, (…) there is a risk of conflict of interest, and I have taken the measures that seem to me the most appropriate, which from the very decided at the outset that he would delegate this oversight function over the Order of Nutritionists to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion,” he stressed.

When asked about the reasons why Margarida Tavares’ name still does not appear in the Diário da República, the official said that “it was necessary to wait for the inauguration of the secretaries of state” and then “to organize the whole process of delegation of authority.” .

“It’s even a good chance that there is a Secretary of State for Health Promotion. I think custody of the Order of Dietitians has been well handed over to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion,” he repeated, noting that “he definitely won’t go through the Minister’s order.” [da Saúde]”.

See also  Trump condemns personal Texas border wall developed by his supporters 'to make me appear bad'

“If the secretary of state is responsible for this, it should not go through the minister,” he stressed.

Manuel Pizarro’s statements came after news that the government official may have a conflict of interest because he is married to the chairman of the Order of Dietitians, Alexandra Bento.

The Order of Dietitians was created in 2011 with the approval of the current Minister of Health, who at the time served as Secretary of State for Health.

In addition, Alexandra Bento was the only President of the Order of Occupational Health to attend the inauguration of Manuel Pizarro on 10 September.

Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese newspaper criticizes CR7: “Less Ronaldo, more Portugal” | international football

Published

on

Portuguese newspaper criticizes CR7: "Less Ronaldo, more Portugal" |  international football

The cover of one of the most important sports newspapers in Portugal this Monday drew a critical tone against the greatest player in the history of the country.

+ See League of Nations table

On the eve of the day when the Portuguese national team will play with Spain and draw for reaching the semi-finals of the League of Nations, the daily newspaper “A Bola” printed a photo Cristiano Ronaldo stating that the player had lost influence in the team commanded by Fernando Santos.

“Less Ronaldo, more Portugal,” reads the headline.

The publication reports that the 37-year-old striker could start on the bench and lists some of the positives of his possible absence, such as the buffing of protagonist Bruno Fernandes. See below:

This Tuesday’s cover of A Bola is being printed by Cristiano Ronaldo – Photo: Reproduction

+ After shock and bleeding, Cristiano Ronaldo trains with a black eye in Portugal

Cristiano Ronaldo started and assisted in a 4–0 thrashing of the Czech Republic on the last round. He has only scored twice in his last eight caps, both against Switzerland.

Czech Republic 0 x 4 Portugal highlights in UEFA Nations League 2022

For Manchester United in the 2022/23 season, he started in three of the eight games played. In the last of them, against Sheriff from Moldova, in the Europa League, he scored for the first time.

Continue Reading

Trending