Connect with us

World

The Prime Minister of Luxembourg borrowed a university dissertation. But take it easy: content 2 of 56 pages is original.

Published

on

“An impressive combination of copied passages that do not meet the requirements of the academy.”: this is how this wednesday the newspaper “reporter.lu” describes university dissertation of Xavier Bettel, Prime Minister of Luxembourg accused of plagiarism.

In the course of an investigation carried out by the media of this country, it is concluded that of the 56 pages that make up the thesis, only two have original content

The work is believed to contain long passages of text from two books, four websites, and an author’s article without proper citation of sources.

The investigation indicates that 20 pages were copied directly from the website of the European Parliament, and nine more were taken from the report of the Greek MEP presented in 1998.

“The plagiarism I found is very problematic because long passages have been translated almost into ipsis verbis.”– says Anna-Lena Hegenauer, professor of political science at the University of Luxembourg, quoted by “The Guardian”

Xavier Bettel has already publicly admitted that academic work “it should have been done differently”although he says the dissertation was written over 20 years ago and ensures that it is written with a “clear conscience.”

The 48-year-old politician and prime minister of Luxembourg since 2013 says he “fully trusted” the scientific council of the University of Lorraine when the dissertation was judged against the standards at the time of writing.

However, Bettel guarantees that he will “naturally make” the decision, even if it results in the loss of his degree. The dissertation allowed the Prime Minister of Luxembourg to take a course in public law and political science.

See also  “Everyone here knows Madeira thanks to Cristiano Ronaldo” – DNOTICIAS.PT

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Elections in Brazil: Lula’s lead in polls ‘shrinks’ – Newsroom

Published

on

Lula da Silva, a former president and candidate in Brazil’s upcoming elections, has a 7 percentage point lead over incumbent Jair Bolsonaro.

According to a BTG/FSB poll cited by ReutersLula is gaining 41% of the vote against 34% of his opponent.

The advantage of the former Brazilian president “shrunk” compared to last month, when he won 44% of the intent vote against 31% for Jair Bolsonaro.

The gap between candidates has narrowed over the past few months, from 14 percentage points in March to 13 percentage points last month and now 7 percentage points.

However, there are surveys maintains double-digit gap between leading presidential candidatessuch as the Datafolha poll published on July 28, which found Lula da Silva to have 47% voting intent, compared to Jair Bolsonaro’s 29%.

But here, too, there was a reduction in the interval between them, amounting to only one percentage point.

Brazil will elect the next president on October 2 in consultations that will also select the governors of the country’s 27 states, members of state legislatures, and members of the upper and lower houses of parliament.

Brazil will have 156.4 million eligible voters in October’s general election, a record for the country and an increase of 6.21% from 2018, according to the Supreme Electoral Court.

See also  The owner emotionally says goodbye to the dog before the partner dies of cancer
Continue Reading

World

“Every minute was a test because it could be my last”

Published

on

HIn early April, a car with civilians leaving Melitopol passed a Russian checkpoint in the occupied city of Vasilyevka in Zaporozhye, at which point a Russian serviceman approached the car and saw a teenager checking something on his mobile phone.

What are you doing, filming me? the soldier asked before taking his cell phone and pulling him out of the car. “Should I shoot him right now or smash his phone?” he shouted, pointing the gun at the boy.

The man dragged the teenager into the nearest yard where Russian troops were based, leaving those in the car speechless and frightened.

After an hour of checking his identity, the Russian military realized that he was Vladislav Buryak, the son of one of the highest Ukrainian officials in the region, Oleg Buryak, head of the state administration of the Zaporozhye region.

According to the publication, the next 90 days, the 16-year-old boy was in Russian captivity. Kyiv independent, locked in a small cell where he heard the screams of Ukrainian prisoners of war being tortured by Russian soldiers. He saw how some of them died after many hours of torture, and was forced to clean the blood-soaked place.

“Every minute was a very serious test, because every minute could be my last,” the boy said during an interview with his father.

Vladyslav Buryak com o pai Oleh Buryak© Reproduction in social networks

Vladislav is not the only Ukrainian underage who has spent a lot of time in Russian captivity since the start of the war in Russia on February 24: according to the governor of the Zaporizhia region, Oleksandr Starukh, the Russians held five minors captive in that city, two of them from late July.

See also  Georgia school district closes second substantial college as coronavirus quarantines mature

In total, at the beginning of August, 203 children were missing in Ukraine, most of whom disappeared in hot spots. Official figures show that at least 358 children have died as a result of the Russian invasion as of August 4, and these figures are estimated to be higher because they do not include casualties in Russian-occupied territories and in areas where fighting is taking place.

Among all the atrocities of Russia against Ukrainian children, the story of Buryak has a happy ending: on July 7 he was released.

Read also: AI regrets the “anger” caused by the report, but sticks to its conclusions

Always be the first to know.
6th year in a row Consumers Choice and Five Star Award for Online Press.
Download our free app.

Apple Store Download

Continue Reading

World

Israel bombs Gaza after ceasefire in response to Palestinian rockets

Published

on

“In response to rocket attacks on Israeli territory, the army is currently attacking a large number of targets belonging to the Islamic Jihad terrorist organization in the Gaza Strip,” the Israeli army said in a statement sent at 21:33.

In addition, air raid warning sirens were turned on in southern Israeli cities near the Gaza Strip.

“The sirens sounded in the sector adjacent to the Gaza Strip,” the same military statement said late on Sunday.

The Egyptian-brokered ceasefire included Cairo’s commitment to “work towards the release of two prisoners,” Mohammed Al-Hindi Bassem Saadi and Khalid Awadeh, head of the JIP’s political wing, said in a statement.

Last Monday’s arrest of Bassem Saadi, the leader of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad in the West Bank, which has been occupied by Israel since 1967, led to the current outbreak of violence.

The Israeli army launched an operation on Friday, billed as a “preemptive strike” against Islamic Jihad, in which its top military leaders in Gaza, Taysir al-Jabari and Khaled Mansour, were killed, as well as several fighters of the group.

The deaths of the military leaders were confirmed by the Islamic Jihad organization, which Israel, the United States of America and the European Union consider “terrorist”.

Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid said the Gaza operation would continue “for as long as necessary”, calling Saturday’s attack that killed Khalid Mansour an “extraordinary result”.

Israeli authorities justified the operation, launched on Friday, on fear of reprisals from Islamic Jihad after Bassem al-Saadi was arrested on August 1 in the West Bank, a Palestinian territory occupied by Israel.

See also  Covid-19: vaccine-dependent immune response to booster doses, study says - News

Over the past two days, about 40 Islamic Jihad members have been arrested by Israeli forces in the West Bank.

Before the Islamic Jihad announcement, the Palestinian armed movement fired several mortars at Israel and Jerusalem, which, according to its army, were intercepted by the Israeli missile defense system.

In the Gaza Strip, 17 Palestinians, including nine children, were killed today in Israeli army raids in Jabaliya, Gaza City and Rafah, according to the Palestinian armed movement Hamas, which is in power in the enclave, which has been under an Israeli blockade for more than 15 years. . .

Since the start of this Israeli operation against Islamic Jihad on Friday, “43 Palestinians have been martyred, including 15 children” and “311 people have been injured,” according to the latest Hamas health ministry report.

The director of the Al-Shifa hospital in Gaza said that the institutions under his supervision urgently needed medicines and electricity to continue caring for the wounded.

Gaza’s only power plant was shut down on Saturday due to fuel shortages, four days after Israel closed roads connecting the enclave, citing security concerns.

Before the mortar attack today, sirens were sounded from Gaza regarding shells in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Ashkelon.

The clash between Israel and Islamic Jihad is the worst since the clash between Israel and Hamas in May 2021. According to local authorities, 260 Palestinians, including militants, and 14 Israelis, including a soldier, were killed in 11 days. .

Continue Reading

Trending