Connect with us

World

Eddie Jaku, 101-year-old Holocaust survivor, is dead

Published

on

Holocaust survivor Eddie Jaku, who published his memoir “The Happiest Man in the World” last year, passed away on Tuesday, October 12, in Sydney at the age of 101. A German Jew living in Australia, survived the horrific “Night of Crystals” in 1938, was imprisoned in the Buchenwald and Auschwitz concentration camps, was rescued by the nicknamed “Angel of Death” Josef Mengele, and resisted the Death March in the winter of 1945.

The announcement of his death was made by the Executive Director of the Jewish Council of New South Wales, Darren Barck: “Eddie Jaku was a beacon of light and hope not only for our community, but for the whole world. the joy that followed and his constant resistance in the face of adversity. “

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison also paid tribute and praised Jaku’s decision to “make his life a testament to how hope and love can defeat despair and hatred.” “It will be sorely missed, especially in our Jewish community. It was inspiration and joy, ”he added.

Treasurer and leader of the Australian Liberal Party, Josh Friedenberg, whose Jewish-Hungarian mother was also a Holocaust survivor and came to Australia in 1950 as a stateless child, in turn said that “Australia has lost a giant”: “He dedicated his life to telling to others about the danger of intolerance and the importance of hope, ”stressed Friedenberg. “Marked by the past, he just looked to the future. Let his story be told to future generations, ”he concluded.

In his biography, published a few months after he turned 100, Jaku tells his story and the obstacles he faced in life. “I have lived a century and I know what it means to face evil. I saw the worst in humanity, the horrors of the death camps, the Nazi attempts to destroy my life and the lives of all my people. I’m the happiest person on Earth, ”he said.

See also  "Anyway ... divorced!" Teacher creates a banner to celebrate separation

Yaku was born Abraham Yakubovets in April 1920 in the German city of Leipzig. His parents and many other family members did not survive World War II.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Luxembourg became the first European country to legalize the production and consumption of cannabis

Published

on

Luxembourg became the first European country to legalize the production and consumption of cannabis after local authorities announced this Friday allowing adults to grow up to four plants in their homes or gardens. With permission, a dramatic shift in the country’s approach to the recreational use and cultivation of cannabis is envisioned in light of the failure of the ban to prevent its use.

Thus, people over 18 years of age can legally grow up to four plants per family for personal use. The seed trade will also be allowed without any restrictions on the amount or levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main psychoactive ingredient.

There is also an intention to allow domestic seed production for commercial purposes, but plans for a national regulated production and distribution chain have been delayed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The consumption or transport of cannabis or similar products in public places continues to be prohibited, as is the sale of cannabis or related products other than seeds. Consuming and transporting quantities up to 3 grams will not be considered a crime, but will be classified as a misdemeanor.

Government sources said that the adoption of the law was dictated by the desire to liberalize consumption and cultivation “within its four walls.” According to government sources, a state-regulated production and distribution system must guarantee product quality and sales revenues, which will be invested “mainly in drug prevention, education and health care.”

See also  4-year-old girl disappears while camp in Australia
Continue Reading

World

France gives a “fuel check” for 100 euros from December

Published

on

Starting in December, France will provide a one-time € 100 “fuel check” to an estimated 36 million drivers who earn less than € 2,000 a month due to rising diesel and gasoline prices.

The measure, which applies to dependents and independent workers, unemployed job seekers and retirees, was announced on Thursday by Prime Minister Jean Castex, who, in statements broadcast on TF1, said it was “an exceptional response to an exceptional situation.” …

The financial support will be provided only once and will come after growing public discontent with the global energy crisis, as households are still recovering from the economic fallout from the covid-19 pandemic.

In September, the French government pledged € 100 in financial aid to about six million low-income families to help them pay their electricity bills.

Castex announced that the natural gas price freeze will continue until the end of next year.

The fuel issue is particularly acute in France after the emergence of the anti-government yellow vests movement, which began in 2018 with protests against higher fuel taxes.

The protest quickly turned into a general protest against economic injustice, which resulted in weekly, sometimes violent demonstrations.

See also  Pentagon staffer on Esper's journey group in Pacific checks constructive for coronavirus
Continue Reading

World

“If I don’t get what I want, I’d rather kill the Americans”: Armed group that kidnapped 17 people in Haiti threatens to start executions

Published

on

In a video released this Thursday, the leader of an armed group that has kidnapped 17 people, mostly missionaries, in Haiti threatens to kill them if the ransom is not paid.

The gang, known as the 400 Mawozo, is holding captive all of the kidnapped people – 16 Americans and one Canadian, including six women and five children. For their release, a ransom of one million dollars (more than 862 thousand euros) was required for each, that is, for a total amount of 17 million dollars (about 15 million euros).

“I swear if I don’t get what I want, I’d rather kill the Americans. I shot everyone in the head, ”said Joseph Wilson, who is considered by the authorities to be the leader of the armed group.

According to the Wall Street Journal, which adds that it has not been able to confirm the video’s authenticity, Joseph appears to be speaking at the funeral of five gang members, whose death he attributed to the person in charge of the police. The funeral took place this Wednesday, and the circumstances of the death are unknown.

“Five soldiers fell, but whoever killed them cannot destroy the army. I’m going to spill blood, ”threatens Wilson Joseph.

The video was filmed less than a week after the kidnapping, which occurred over the weekend as a group of missionaries working for the Christian Relief Ministry were returning from a shelter in Croix-de-Bouquet, about eight miles from the capital, Port-au. -Prince.

Continue Reading

Trending