Connect with us

World

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says she feared rape during the Capitol robbery

Published

on

Democratic Congressman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez feared rape during the January 6 storming of Capitol Hill by supporters of former President Donald Trump, according to a CNN interview that will be televised in full this Monday.

Ocasio-Cortez, one of the favorite targets of the right in the US, said how she felt on the day she faced “misogyny and racism so deeply rooted and exacerbated in the attack on Capitol Hill.” “White supremacy and patriarchy are very closely related, and in many ways violence and [nesse dia] Only I thought that I might be killed, I also thought that other things might happen to me“, – he reminded.

When asked if I could violate it, the congresswoman answered in the affirmative. Yes, I thought.

In February, Ocasio-Cortez said live on her Instagram account that she considers herself a survivor of sexual abuse in the past, about which she did not provide details, but had nothing to do with the robbery of the Capitol.

In parallel, during an interview with CNN, he expressed ambiguity when asked if he intends to run for the 2022 primaries against the current majority leader of his party in the Senate, Chuck Schumer. “I know everyone is going crazy” about this, Ocasio-Cortez, who is part of his party’s most leftist faction, said in an interview with CNN in late June.

The congressman explained that she does not plan or begin her political career based on the positions that can be accessed. “I know a lot of people don’t believe this, but I really can’t act like me and do what I do in politics and at the same time strive for other things or expect other things.” , he stressed.

See also  Capitol: One Year After Attack, US Democracy "Retreats" - Current Events

So far, Ocasio-Cortez has shown no sign of intending to meet with the moderate-trend political veteran who has been in Congress since 1998, despite the fact that several media outlets have already acknowledged the possibility.

In an interview, the congresswoman emphasized that she worked with Schumer on many issues and did not consider the possible candidacy the most important. “Let’s see …” – he pointed out.

When asked about the possible future aspirations of the White House, Ocasio-Cortez replied that she does not intend to make long-term predictions, but intends to focus on her current commitments. “I think this often happens in politics, there are people who are so motivated to try to take certain higher positions that they give up their current struggle for people,” he mused.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

“Sanctions against Russia are useless” – Obozrevatel

Published

on

You have free access to all Observer articles as a subscriber.

Retired Ambassador Fernando d’Oliveira Neves defended that Western sanctions against Russia are “in vain” and that the solution to the war in Ukraine must be negotiated with Vladimir Putin. “We could start by trying to reach out to Russia to see what measures they can accommodate,” the diplomat suggested in an interview with CNN Portugal.

If Vladimir Putin does not listen, “patience”: we must continue the diplomatic path to “find a solution that takes into account the legitimate concerns Russia’s security,” he defended the ambassador who negotiated on Timor. Sanctions are “completely worthless”: “The only time they say that sanctions could have had any effect was during the apartheid period.”

Fernando d’Oliveira Neves, who served at the Portuguese Mission to the United Nations (UN) and the Embassy in Washington, explained that condemns and opposes “completely against” Russia’s actions in Ukraine. The head of the Russian state is a “criminal” and “murderer” who should be present at the International War Crimes Tribunal, he classified.

But it is not recommended to “create an austerity regime against Russia” because it is harmful. In fact, the sanctions that were applied in 2014 during the annexation of Crimea were already a mistake: “They humiliate the country and strengthen political unity and cohesion,” the diplomat believes.

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

That is why the ambassador “categorically against NATO expansion to the east” she also disagrees with the opening of the European Union to any country that left the Soviet Union, such as Moldova, Georgia or Ukraine. “All countries have problems with Russian minorities,” Fernando d’Oliveira Neves believed, “and “ours are enough for us.”

And these problems can become more dense for the countries that are members of the Alliance, Fernando Neves fears. “The path we’re on could lead to a direct confrontation between NATO and RussiaThis direct confrontation could “easily slip through a small misunderstanding” between Russia and Finland, countries that share maritime exploration of the waters bordering both coasts, the ambassador warned.

Trying to interpret Vladimir Putin’s goals, the ambassador believes that the Russian leader has two demands on the West: to recognize Russia as a great power and recognize that the country “has a right to have security concerns for your safety, as we all do.” Fernando Neves calls for an end to “hypocrisy” and “not to pretend that we are saints when we do the same thing.”

We support for I don’t know how many years the biggest violator of international law who practices in installments what Russia does all at once: Israel,” defended the ambassador, also warning that the international community was tolerant of US attacks on Iraq — which, in the end, in his opinion, had the same agenda , which is the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

See also  White House: the United States and Turkey do not find a solution to purchase Russian missile systems
Continue Reading

World

Two women died in a shark attack in the Red Sea

Published

on

Two women have died in a brutal shark attack in Egypt’s Red Sea. The incident took place south of the city of Hurghada and was confirmed by Environment Minister Yasmine Fouad on Sunday.

According to Reutersapparently two victims were not connected to each other, and the attacks must have taken place at different times. One Austrian68 years old, lived in the village, gr.managed to swim ashore after the attack. still no was taken to the hospital, but ended up dying from the severity of her injuries.

In a few hours, about 600 meters from the site where the Austrian woman was attacked, the authorities discovered the body of a Romanian woman under the age of 50.

This was announced by the Ministry of the Environment. setting up a commission to investigate the circumstances of these attacks.

Governor of the Red Sea Province ordered the suspension of all activities and the closure of beaches in the area.

Shark species responsible for attacks unknown. The AFP news agency and the Austrian media claim that Mako shark, known as the fastest shark in the world. Egyptian newspapers I think it’s a white shark.

mako shark (Nano Calvo/VWPics/Universal Images Group via Getty Images)
White shark (HUM Images/Universal Images Group via Getty Images)

Although Egypt is heavenly place and very popular among European tourists, It is known that the Red Sea sharks.

Attacks count rarebut happen. In 2020, a young Ukrainian lost his arm, and the tour guide lost his legs after such an attack.

See also  Capitol: One Year After Attack, US Democracy "Retreats" - Current Events
Continue Reading

World

Rhian Naud, the man who died after being “hunted” in his illegal game

Published

on

O The body of a poacher was found next to his car in Limpopo, South Africa.

According to international publications, this is Rian Naud, a man who hunts endangered animals and often shared photos next to the bodies. In the caption to one of these photographs, which shows a lion – still alive – the hunter wrote: “Now have fun in hell”.

Naudé was mortally wounded on the spot, at close range near the Kruger National Park. According to international publications, the man was driving when the car appeared and the people in it shot him dead.

“The man was lying face up, and there was blood on his head”– said a representative of the local authorities. “The reason for the attack is unknown”the same source said.

According to South African media, weapons, clothes, water, whiskey and pajamas were found at the crime scene.

The trophy hunter had a poaching company located in northern South Africa. According to the New York Post, the company charged around €2,428 for a crocodile hunt or €1,457 for a giraffe hunt.

Read also: Capitol Hill: Commission of Inquiry Gathers New Evidence Against Trump

Always be the first to know.
6th year in a row Consumers Choice and Five Star Award for Online Press.
Download our free app.

See also  Mandatory medical passport in Italy from August
Continue Reading

Trending