Connect with us

Top News

Francisco Lufinha alone will cross the 6,700 kilometers of the Atlantic Ocean.

Published

on

Francisco Lufinha alone will cross the 6,700 kilometers of the Atlantic Ocean.

“This adventure is the most daring challenge I have developed to date. The idea is to design a sailboat that can be reused and adapted to be pulled with a kite, which is my specialty, kitesurfing, ”Lufinha explained in a statement to Lusa.

In a “test” that combines “kitesurfing with sailing”, the 37-year-old will make the “lonely crossing of the Atlantic” in a “kitesurf” (small boat) “without any auxiliary boat.”

“The idea is to travel from Portugal to the Caribbean, crossing the Atlantic Ocean about 3,600 nautical miles, which is more or less 6,700 kilometers. Straight, non-stop, alone, ”he explained about the EDP’s Atlantic mission.

The boat, specially built for the expedition, has “three hulls, which will be lighter and faster” and will move “under the influence of the force of the wind.”

Francisco Lufinha plans to start the trip in November, as the winds in the North Atlantic are “more stable” during this time.

“I would be very happy if I could make the trip in three weeks. It can be done faster, but it can also take up to four to five weeks, ”he adds.

An athlete who has set the world record for the longest continuous kitesurfing since 2015 will have to sleep in progress, sitting and leaning back slightly.

“I developed a pilot with German [sistema] who controls the kite alone. At the first stage, it is electronic: I have a joystick, not my hands. This pilot, who we are still testing, is flying the kite into the air to do a few laps myself so I can sleep on the road, ”he said.

See also  CIM Group drops plan to buy Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza

And he adds, “It’s all powered by solar panels, which I also carry on a boat with about 700W panels, and a hydrogenerator, a propeller that generates power at my speed.”

On the preparations for the expedition, Francisco Lufinha says that he himself “designed the boat” as if he were “a mechanic or an electrician” in case he had to carry out repairs during the trip.

The kitesurfing route will be shown in real time on the EDP website and the athlete will be in contact with the Portuguese Navy to “prevent any incidents”.

“In the event of an accident, which can always happen, for example, hitting an obstacle or a sunken container – we have to predict these scenarios – I have a number of protections that I can activate so that nearby ships can know where I am,” said is he.

The athlete will eat dehydrated food, “almost powdery”, and by converting sea salt water into fresh, taking two desalination plants.

“People say a lot that this is crazy. I do not like the word “crazy”, because I can pass for a madman, I would say that this is a bold thing, but with head and legs, because we think about many scenarios, “he concluded.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese health minister rejects conflict of interest over marriage to president

Published

on

The health minister said there was no conflict of interest in her marriage to the current chairman of the Order of Dietitians, saying that the trusteeship of that body had been delegated to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion.


Portugal Digital with Lusa



“Honestly, I don’t think it exists. I have no doubt that this Lady Secretary of State will fill this leadership role,” Manuel Pizarro said on Monday (age 26) on the sidelines of the Pharmacist’s Day celebrations in Sintra, in the Lisbon area.

Aware of the possible conflict of interest, Manuel Pizarro explained that he took “the most appropriate measure (…)”, which was to entrust the functions of guardianship of the Order of Nutritionists to Margarida Tavares.”

“(…) Since I took office as a minister, I have been aware that, since professional organizations have an administrative oversight role, (…) there is a risk of conflict of interest, and I have taken the measures that seem to me the most appropriate, which from the very decided at the outset that he would delegate this oversight function over the Order of Nutritionists to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion,” he stressed.

When asked about the reasons why Margarida Tavares’ name still does not appear in the Diário da República, the official said that “it was necessary to wait for the inauguration of the secretaries of state” and then “to organize the whole process of delegation of authority.” .

“It’s even a good chance that there is a Secretary of State for Health Promotion. I think custody of the Order of Dietitians has been well handed over to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion,” he repeated, noting that “he definitely won’t go through the Minister’s order.” [da Saúde]”.

See also  Portuguese with terminal cancer banned from leaving Colombia

“If the secretary of state is responsible for this, it should not go through the minister,” he stressed.

Manuel Pizarro’s statements came after news that the government official may have a conflict of interest because he is married to the chairman of the Order of Dietitians, Alexandra Bento.

The Order of Dietitians was created in 2011 with the approval of the current Minister of Health, who at the time served as Secretary of State for Health.

In addition, Alexandra Bento was the only President of the Order of Occupational Health to attend the inauguration of Manuel Pizarro on 10 September.

Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese newspaper criticizes CR7: “Less Ronaldo, more Portugal” | international football

Published

on

Portuguese newspaper criticizes CR7: "Less Ronaldo, more Portugal" |  international football

The cover of one of the most important sports newspapers in Portugal this Monday drew a critical tone against the greatest player in the history of the country.

+ See League of Nations table

On the eve of the day when the Portuguese national team will play with Spain and draw for reaching the semi-finals of the League of Nations, the daily newspaper “A Bola” printed a photo Cristiano Ronaldo stating that the player had lost influence in the team commanded by Fernando Santos.

“Less Ronaldo, more Portugal,” reads the headline.

The publication reports that the 37-year-old striker could start on the bench and lists some of the positives of his possible absence, such as the buffing of protagonist Bruno Fernandes. See below:

This Tuesday’s cover of A Bola is being printed by Cristiano Ronaldo – Photo: Reproduction

+ After shock and bleeding, Cristiano Ronaldo trains with a black eye in Portugal

Cristiano Ronaldo started and assisted in a 4–0 thrashing of the Czech Republic on the last round. He has only scored twice in his last eight caps, both against Switzerland.

Czech Republic 0 x 4 Portugal highlights in UEFA Nations League 2022

For Manchester United in the 2022/23 season, he started in three of the eight games played. In the last of them, against Sheriff from Moldova, in the Europa League, he scored for the first time.

Continue Reading

Top News

September, Holiday Month for the Deaf – Portuguese (Brazil)

Published

on

Mutirão Opens To Negotiation Of Individuals' Overdue Debts - Português (Brazil)

September is a very important and visible month for deaf people, with three dates that raise awareness and celebrate achievements that are part of the entire community’s trajectory and struggle. These are: – International Sign Language Day, September 23; – Day of the Deaf, 26 September; and Libra National Interpreter and Translator Day on September 30th. With a focus on the deaf community, the Department of Education is promoting several initiatives in this area.

The first is aimed at changing the scenario of educational and language policy based only on the inclusive perspective of including a deaf student in the school environment without guaranteeing procedures that enhance accessibility in his education. The National Guidelines for Bilingual Education for the Deaf integrate all stages of basic education and are based on the promotion of bilingual curricula and pedagogical practices for the deaf: Brazilian Sign Language (Libras) and written Portuguese.

Through the Department of Special Education, the MEC coordinates with interested municipalities the construction, renovation or expansion of bilingual schools for the deaf. To date, 11 locations in Brazil have shown interest in the project. To complement this phase, the Libras National Textbook Program (PNLD) provides accessible formats to deaf students and public school teachers of basic education in the country.

In the academic world, in partnership with universities, advanced training courses are offered for teachers, managers and professionals who want to work with bilingual education for the deaf. Thanks to the projects of various institutions, there are currently 3,520 vacancies for teaching the deaf.

See also  CIM Group drops plan to buy Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza

On the Internet, Canal Libras is a space for communication and content distribution with a focus on the national educational network, from early childhood education to higher education.

INES

Another important date: The National Institute for Education for the Deaf (Ines) turns 165 on the same Libra and the Deaf Day, September 26th. Within the structure of the Ministry of Education, the Institute stands out as a national reference in the field of deafness, necessary to support the formulation of public policies, and then for their implementation in the field. The Institute works to promote education for deaf children, youth and adults.

With information from Ministry of Education.

Continue Reading

Trending