Connect with us

World

COVID-19: Von der Leyen says 27 people agree to emergency braking for free movement – News

Published

on

Ursula von der Leyen responded at a press conference in Ljubljana when asked about Germany’s decision to ban travel from Portugal even for holders of the EU digital covid-19 certificate, which came into force today in the community space.

“We have a recommendation issued by the Commission and approved by the Council. Thus, all 27 member states agreed on travel processing procedures, covid and EU certification. This recommendation includes an emergency brake that allows you to act quickly if there is a worrying option, ”said the President of the Community Executive, stressing that for some reason the brake“ was on ”.

Von der Leyen, who came to Ljubljana with his college in the second half of the year at the beginning of Slovenia’s presidency of the EU Council, acknowledged that this mechanism “requires information between member states and, of course, coordination between member states.”

“Since all Member States have expressed their support, I urge them to follow your recommendation and adhere to the agreed general rules. Therefore, I am sure that in the case mentioned, Germany and Portugal will follow their own recommendation, “he said, without going into details, namely indicating who may not comply with the rules, and this after the Commission itself noted that obviously Berlin does not fully complied with the agreements at the European level.

Asked about the same question, Slovenian Prime Minister Janez Jansa, who replaced Antonio Costa today as Acting President of the EU Council, confined himself to saying that the Slovenian Presidency “will do everything in its power” in the sense that member states comply with the rules. agreed at the European level for free movement in the context of a pandemic and for the use of a European certificate.

See also  More than two dozen athletes died in an ultramarathon in China

At the end of last week, Germany classified Portugal as an area with “dangerous options”, namely due to the spread of the Delta strain, which in practice leads to a travel ban in effect from Tuesday due to the activation of the EU brake mechanism to deal with alarming situations.

The German travel ban from Portugal is the only ban in the EU when the covid-19 digital certificate comes into force and more than 200 million proofs of recovery or vaccination have been issued.

“The good news is that we have not received any further notifications about this. We have the information we have already mentioned here about Germany and about [viagens de] Portugal, but we have no news of any other member state that intends to impose additional restrictions on people holding certificates, ”said Christian Wiegand, a spokesman for the local justice executive.

At an institution’s daily press conference in Brussels, is the community leader concerned about this restriction, on the day the covid-19 digital certificate, testing confirmation, recovery or vaccination confirmation, which is designed to facilitate spread in space, goes into effect, Christian Wiegand emphasized: “No, we are not we are worried, we are sure. “

“We have all member states connected and no other member states warned us about the restrictions. [pelo que] we’ve come a long way already, ”said the spokesman.

A community leadership source told Lusa on Wednesday that the European Commission is analyzing whether Germany’s decision to put Portugal on the COVID-19 travel red list is “proportionate” and could put pressure on Berlin.

See also  Afghanistan: Taliban go from house to house in search of women

Christian Wiegand said today that even with a certificate, countries “can impose restrictions, but they must justify and advise the Commission and other EU countries.”

Even so, the measures envisaged by the braking mechanism should, according to the leader of the community, result in “the application of strict measures such as tests and quarantines, and the imposition of travel bans should be avoided,” he defended.

“That’s why we said that this measure [alemã] It appears that she does not fully agree with the recommendation and that is the reason why the Commission acted by asking the Council to discuss the matter, ”said the spokesman.

The European digital certificate for immunization against covid-19 or negative testing came into force today and more than one million have already been issued in Portugal.

Data released today by the European Commission shows that more than 200 million certificates have already been issued at the EU level.

Even before the official deadline for entry into force, 21 Member States, as well as the countries of the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) have already started issuing certificates. The other five EU countries are starting to do so today.

Since it is a document for general and uniform use throughout the EU, as well as in the countries of the Economic Area, the national authorities must determine the rules for its internal use.

In mid-June, the EU Council adopted a recommendation for a coordinated approach to travel, suggesting that at least one dose vaccinated and recovered from covid-19 should not be subject to restrictive measures such as quarantine or testing.

See also  Pandemic disproportionately affected women's mental health

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

World

“Ukraine is in for a very unpleasant surprise” — Obozrevatel

Published

on

You have free access to all Observer articles as a subscriber.

It was a quick change. On Monday, Mikhail Kodaryonok, a retired colonel and television commentator, criticized Russian President Vladimir Putin’s military strategy. This Wednesday afternoon, also on Russian state television, the army has completely changed speech, anticipating a “very unpleasant surprise” for Ukraine.

Mikhail Kodarenok mentioned Russian attacks on American howitzers in Ukraine, suggesting that they would remain a target for Russian forces “in the near future.” “They will be searched for, discovered and hit,” the colonel in the reserve assured, adding that soon only “memories” would remain of them.

Assuring that this goal would be “achieved,” the colonel turned to the news of the victories that Ukraine would win over Russian troops.“There are only rumors Indeed, there are even rumors that [a Ucrânia] allegedly has great success in counterattacks, ”said Mikhail Khodarenok, describing these rumors as “inaccurate.”

A PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

To demonstrate the failure of the Ukrainian forces, a retired colonel recalled the Snake Islands plan. Mikhail Khodarenok noted that Ukraine needed to achieve “air supremacy”, and that “in the coming months” it would be “impossible” for the Ukrainian armed forces to accomplish such a feat.

In addition, in the naval sphere, the official also devalued Ukraine: “They need to achieve superiority at sea,” especially in the Black Sea, which “is out of the question.” “At best, it will take years, if not decades.”

“And therefore, when they talk about the ability of Ukraine to counterattack, this is a big exaggeration,” Mikhail Khodarenok hinted, believing in the success of the Russian offensive. He predicted that “a very unpleasant surprise” awaits Ukraine in the near future.

“As much as we hate to admit it, the whole world is against us.” Retired colonel denounces Putin’s strategy on state television

These statements contrast with those that Mikhail Kodarenok made on Monday: “They [os ucranianos] determined to fight to the last man. Ultimately, victory on the battlefield is determined by the high morale of the personnel.who sheds blood for ideas for which he is ready to fight.

Also on Monday, the retired colonel acknowledged that “the main drawback of the Russian military-political position is that we are, in a sense, in complete geopolitical isolation and that, as much as we hate to admit it, practically the whole world is against us.” . “The situation will frankly worsen,” spoke on Monday, anticipating a scenario with “a million armed Ukrainian soldiers.”

See also  US warns of "accurate and credible" threat at Kabul airport
Continue Reading

World

Madrid rejects Russia’s unjustified expulsion of 27 diplomats – columnist

Published

on

The Spanish government has rejected Russia’s decision to expel 27 employees of the Spanish embassy in Moscow, arguing that reciprocity in this case is not justifiedbecause they did not violate the Vienna Convention.

Spain rejects the decision taken today by the Russian Federation to expel a total of 27 employees of the Spanish Embassy in Russia,” the Spanish Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

Madrid then explains that Russian authorities justify this decision with the principle of “reciprocity” after the expulsion of 27 employees of the Russian embassy in Madrid, notified last April, adding, however, that “the expulsion then accepted by the Spanish authorities was based on duly substantiated security reasons, which do not exist in this case.”

The Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs guarantees that the employees of the embassy in Moscow “always” fully complied with the obligations set forth Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations and Vienna Convention on Consular Relations.

A PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

Russia announced this Wednesday that it was expelling 27 Spanish and 24 Italian diplomats in response to similar measures taken by those countries after invading Ukraine.

The announcement of the expulsion of Italians and Spaniards was made by the Russian Foreign Ministry a few minutes after the announcement of the expulsion of 34 French diplomats and a day after the decision to expel two Finnish diplomats was made.

The number of Spanish and Italian diplomats now considered persona non grata it is identical to the Russian diplomats whom the governments of two European countries decided to expel from their countries in April.

See also  Ghani Baradar, co-founder of the Taliban, returns to the country - News

According to Spanish Ambassador to Moscow Marcos Gomez Martinez, who was summoned to the Russian ministry on Wednesday morning, diplomats from the embassy in Moscow and the consulate general in St. Petersburg were sent to Moscow. will have to leave Russia within seven days.

On April 5, the Spanish government decided to expel 27 diplomats and officials from the Russian embassy in Spain as a sign of rejection of the “horrible actions” of the Russian troops, the “escalation of war crimes” and in “protection of security interests.” » Spain.

The Spanish performer did not directly mention the massacre organized by Russian soldiers in the Ukrainian city of Bucha, Kyiv region.

Continue Reading

World

The Pentagon said there was a “growing number” of unidentified objects in the sky.

Published

on

Over the past 20 years, there has been a “growing number” of unidentified objects in the sky, a Pentagon spokesman said today, noting that none of these phenomena suggest extraterrestrial origin.

For the first time in over 50 years, the US Congress held public hearings on “Unidentified Aerial Phenomena”. “Since the early 2000s, we have seen an increase in the number of unauthorized or unidentified objects,” said Scott Bray, deputy director of US naval intelligence, quoted by French news agency AFP.

The official attributed the increase to “significant efforts” by the US military to “de-stigmatize the act of reporting sightings” and technological advances.

He emphasized, however, that nothing had been found “that could be indicative of an extraterrestrial origin” for these phenomena, but he also did not definitively rule out such a possibility.

In June 2021, US intelligence already stated in a long-awaited report that there was no evidence for the existence of aliens, although it admitted that dozens of phenomena observed by military pilots were inexplicable.

Some of these can be attributed to the presence of drones or birds wreaking havoc on US military radar systems. Others may be the result of testing of military hardware or technology by other powers such as China or Russia.

The US military and intelligence agencies are focused on determining whether these “unidentified aerial phenomena” could be linked to threats against the United States.

“Unidentified aerial phenomena pose a potential threat to national security” and “should be treated as such,” warned Democratic Congressman Andre Carson, head of the parliamentary committee that organized the hearings.

See also  Representative of the European Medicines Agency proposes to abandon the AstraZeneca vaccine

Continue Reading

Trending