Connect with us

Politics

“We must take advantage of the space that dictatorship provides,” says an opponent who is part of the electoral body of Venezuela – 05/18/2021 – World

Published

on

“We must take advantage of the space that dictatorship provides,” says an opponent who is part of the electoral body of Venezuela - 05/18/2021 - World

In 2017, Roberto Picon spent six months in jail in Helicoide, the most dangerous political prison in Caracas, awaiting trial on charges of “betrayal of the motherland.” He also served as an advisor to the former opposition coalition MUD (Bureau of Democratic Unity) from 2008 to 2018.

Today, three years after his arrest, Picon is a member of Venezuela’s new National Electoral Council, the body responsible for organizing elections in the country and which has gained notoriety in recent years for being under the control of the dictatorship of Nicolas Maduro.

The move from a former political prisoner to a CNE member comes after the regime has signaled in recent weeks that it would like to start a dialogue with the opposition in search of a pact that could ease international sanctions against Venezuela.

Among other measures, the government released a group of leaders who were being held as political prisoners for house arrest and decided that the new electoral body, approved by the Chavism-controlled National Assembly, would include two opposition figures, one of them Picón.

These gestures were initially viewed with suspicion by the opposition, but later leaders such as Juan Guaido and Leopoldo López showed signs that they could adopt this approach as a way to deal with the economic and social crisis that gripped the country.

In this scenario, Picon argues that the opposition must take advantage of the loophole to occupy the spaces offered by the regime. In an interview with sheet from Caracas, he says his priority at work will be to fight to ensure that opposition politicians, currently banned from running in elections, can participate in the next elections.

The new CNE was chosen by the National Assembly, elected by an irregular vote. Why did you agree to create a body that is illegal at first? This is a question similar to the expression that comes first, the egg or the chicken. Yes, the assembly that appointed us is not recognized by a significant part of society and international public opinion. But I think as with this expression, there is no point in circumventing the answer. The truth is that today we have the CNE, which enables two members of civil society, from the opposition, to work alongside Chavism.

See also  Brazil: First Prospects for the 2022 Election | Opinion

This has given rise to a political fact that can stop the inertia of the situation in which we find ourselves. The selection of new CNE members has helped some opposition leaders, such as Leopoldo Lopez or Juan Guaido, to now admit that they spoke to Maduro, and vice versa. What’s stuck so far. So I see this as a benefit for Venezuela.

What can you expect from the new CNE in the next elections for governors, mayors and legislative councils on November 21? We need Venezuelans to have faith in the CNE again, both by voters and politicians. For this, we started working in several directions.

The first is to take an inventory of all disabilities of politicians who oppose the government. List who they are and who waived their application rights. In particular, about politicians and about political parties. In some cases it was the prosecutor’s office, in others – justice, in the third – Control. With this in mind, we will make a political effort to reverse these disabilities.

The second is the refinement of the system, which will continue to be automated, with electronic voting, using the manual only in cases of failure in the first case. Overall, the assessment so far is that we have a system that is technically working well.

A campaign will then begin to make the public understand that we are in a new moment of trying to re-establish the institutional character of the country, and therefore participation is important. And finally, involve qualified international observers to participate in this process so that we can restore the image of the Venezuelan electoral system in front of the whole world.

See also  Guarding diplomacy

You were part of the opposing MUD coalition, and you were even arrested for opposing the regime. What makes you think that you can now trust the decisions Maduro makes? The political conflict in Venezuela has evolved over the years into an increasingly intense existential conflict. I was the victim of this confrontation and spent six months in jail on Helicoide and then another six months at home. To date, there has not been a single hearing, not even a preliminary one, that is, one at which the prosecutor’s office should have brought charges. This is an unresolved issue, but now it does not concern me, because as the rector of CNE I have a privileged forum that can be removed only by the decision of the National Assembly.

I say that this is an existential conflict because it already presupposes that there are persecuted and disabled people, and, therefore, there is no way to change anything. For this reason, I believe that we should use all the opportunities that power gives us to look for an opportunity to compete and rebuild the country’s institutions.

But why believe that such a possibility exists now and did not exist before? Because the situation is changing. Venezuela’s economic and political isolation has weakened the regime’s strength. There is no income, export or import, and we pay a high price for the economic sanctions imposed by the countries of the international community. If this trend continues, the country’s governance will be increasingly in crisis. For this reason, the government made such decisions to urge civil society to participate in the CNE. This gives us a chance, and we must take advantage of it.

See also  Changes in LEO undermine the strategic foundations of fiscal policy - UTAO - Atualidade

In this context of gestures aimed at improving Venezuela’s image abroad, how do you assess, for example, the confiscation of the building of El Nacional, the country’s last major independent newspaper? Of course, this is a bad sign. But this shows that the regime has internal divisions. There are those who want to improve the image of the regime, and there are those who believe that such arbitrariness can continue.

Even so, the judiciary is theoretically autonomous, and this was not a decision of the executive. Unfortunately, this happened, but we cannot interpret this as a direct order from Maduro. I think there is division in the regime, and there are currents that are more inclined to negotiate than others, and they argue within the country. What happened in the case of Nacional was a demonstration by part of the government forces. Not all government.


X-ray

Roberto Picon, 59 years old
An engineer, he was an advisor to the MUD (Bureau of Democratic Unity), an anti-Chavist alliance formed in parliament in 2008. He is one of five rectors of Venezuela’s new National Electoral Council.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Lula is preparing the announcement of the bloc of ministers on the 13th

Published

on

Lula is preparing the announcement of the bloc of ministers on the 13th

President-elect team Louis Ignatius Lula da Silva (PT) is preparing the announcement of the block of ministers on December 13, next week – the day after the diplomat’s PT in the EEC (Higher Electoral Court). In addition to guaranteeing a few more days to resolve deadlocksthe party intends to use the symbols of the “lucky number” on the date when it will announce the new folders.

Lula himself has already admitted that most of the future ministry has already been chosen. in Brasilia, former Minister Fernando Haddad (PT), Senator Simone Tebet (MDB-MS) and former TCU (Tribunal de Contas da União) Minister José muzio they are already treated with the status of ministerial ministers – there is not enough officiality.

I will finish my studies on the 12th [de dezembro]🇧🇷 After graduation, after I am recognized as the President of the Republic, I will start choosing my ministry. No one needs to suffer, be nervous, create expectations, because deep down I already have 80% of the service in my head.”
Lula, at the press conference on Friday (2)

Lula was forced to announce the names of the new government. But it endured. He does not want to give the impression that he bows to any sector, be it political, economic or military.

In 2002, during his first term, he was under similar pressure and announced: December 10Antonio Paloccithen Transition Coordinator from the Ministry of Finance and Marina Silva from Environmental Protection.

Piece by piece. If he delivers on campaign promises at the start of a future government, the Esplanade should have ten more ministries early next year. The total number will increase from 23 to 33, three of which are new.

See also  Guarding diplomacy

The first names given for the declaration are:

  • Haddad on the farmwith the dismemberment of the Ministry of Economy, and
  • Muzio on defense🇧🇷 The statement of the former PTS minister could be the first this year, already this week.

It is likely that these readings will be confirmed prior to release. AT dinner with the senators, last week Lula already confirmed the names Muzio and elected senator Flavio Dino (PSB-MA) in fairnessaccording to Estadão.

Cited. However, on the next 13th, a more reliable list should be announced:

  • Vamet in the new Ministry of Social Development,
  • dino in justice, dismembered from public safety,
  • O Governor of Bahia Rui Costa (PT) in the Civil House,
  • O ex-chancellor Mauro Vieira return to Itamaraty,
  • BUT elected MP Marina Silva (Rede-SP) back to the Ministry of the Environment, and
  • O Deputy Alexander Padilla (PT-SP) upon return of the Ministry of Institutional Relations.

Lula’s team is still negotiating

Without confirming any names yet, the future government still needs to sort out some dead ends – and according to close leaders, everything was ideally resolved before the first big announcement next week.

With the dismemberment of the Ministry of Economy, it would be ideal to announce the name of the Treasury along with the name of Planning. Persian Aridone of the founders of Plano Real, received a higher rating.

Arida went so far as to say she wasn’t going to take over Planning folder, but according to interlocutors of the transitional government, his name was proposed by vice-president-elect Geraldo Alkmin (PSB) and accepted by Lula. The plan was to have a technical profile and a political one, with clear and complementary economic views on finance and planning, but negotiations cooled off. Arida is not ruled out, but not confirmed either. The only thing PT supporters guarantee is that Alcmine will nominate this portfolio.

See also  BC decision worries government and consolidates STF's diverging wings

How wags make MDB. Vamet it also depends on your party. O MDB is bidding for at least three folders in the new government, but hopes it ends up in Lula’s private office given the senator’s importance in the second round of the campaign.

Emedebists are examining at least one leadership, senator and deputy for appointment to office:

  • Senator-elect Renan Filho (AL), former governor of Alagoas, will lead the Ministry of Mines and Energy.
  • Governor Helder Barballo (Pennsylvania), re-elected with the highest approval rating, will appoint the head of the Department of Regional Development.
  • There will still be room for an MP to be determined by the emedebista bench commanded by President Balea Rossi (MDB-SP).

Lula is in Brazil and his meetings with the transition team and political leaders are divided. Members of the Working Group on Planning, Budget and Management are scheduled to give interviews to the press today.

Continue Reading

Politics

Ibovespa falls by 2% under pressure from the political-fiscal scenario

Published

on

Ibovespa falls by 2% under pressure from the political-fiscal scenario

On the next game day of the Brazilian national team at the World Cup. Ibovespa o closed down 2.25% to 109,401.41 points, with more than 90% of listed shares ending the trading session with losses. Trading volume was 22.3 billion reais, below the average of 30 billion reais.

Political-Fiscal Scenario with Transitional PEC and the lack of information about the next treasury secretary continue to put pressure on the stock index, in addition to the negative climate in New York, which also pulled Ibovespa down this Monday (5).

In Brasilia, Senate President Rodrigo Pacheco put the transitional PEC on the agenda next Wednesday (7) for discussion in the plenary session of the House of Representatives. Investors are attentive to the results of negotiations on the amount and duration of exemption from spending restrictions.

Senator Marcelo Castro, rapporteur on the budget, said the PEC should maintain the impact of the BRL 175 billion and BRL 23 billion emergency revenues. However, the term should be reduced from four to two years.

Follow Forbes Money content on Telegram first hand

As commodity-oriented stocks were the only ones that closed in blue. Paper and pulp shares of Suzano (SUZB3) and Klabin (KLBN11) rose 2.20% and 2.22%, while steel and mining stocks gained 0.14% and 1% in CSN (CSNA3) and Usiminas (USIM5) shares. .07%.

Ibovespa’s biggest losses were in tech, retail and healthcare – stocks that are under pressure when interest rates and the dollar rise, as they do today. Positivo (POSI3), Qualicorp (QUAL3) and Lojas Renner (LREN3) were hit the hardest with losses of 11.50%, 9.74% and 8.01%.

See also  Changes in LEO undermine the strategic foundations of fiscal policy - UTAO - Atualidade

O dollar rose overseas (the DXY rose 0.75% to 105.36 points) and domestic negotiations followed. Around here, the US currency rose 1.30% to R$5.2829. With fiscal issues on the radar, interest rates also rose today.

In New York, investors reacted to data from the services and industry sectors, which showed that the US economy remains resilient to the increase in interest rates by the Federal Reserve. The higher-than-expected rise in the ISM Services PMI and Industrial Orders – higher than expected – reinforces expectations for an aggressive Fed stance at next week’s monetary policy meeting.

As a result, Wall Street stocks plummeted. O Dow Jones lost 1.40% to 33,946.51 points, S&P 500 fell by 1.79% to 3998 points, while Nasdaq fell 1.93% to 11,239.94 points.

(Com Reuters)

Continue Reading

Politics

The STF assesses the secret budget as “political activity,” Prime Minister Bolsonaro said in the Chamber

Published

on

www.brasil247.com - Ricardo Barros

The Deputy Head of Government in the Accounts Chamber said that the Transitional PEC “constitutionalizes” the mechanism, making it unnecessary to discuss it in the STP




See also  After the local PDT took over the foreign policy, it has a new Jornal da Manhã team.

Continue Reading

Trending