Connect with us

World

United States imposed sanctions on officials of the International Criminal Court

Published

on

United States imposed sanctions on officials of the International Criminal Court

Media playback is not supported on your device

Media headlineICC Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda told the BBC in 2017 that she is “considering allegations from all parties” in Afghanistan.

The United States imposed sanctions on high-ranking officials of the International Criminal Court (ICC), including Chief Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo accused the court of “illegal attempts to subjugate Americans to their jurisdiction.”

The ICC in The Hague is currently investigating whether US troops have committed war crimes in Afghanistan.

The US has criticized the court since its inception and is one of a dozen states that have not signed.

Balkis Jarrah, a senior adviser to the nongovernmental organization Human Rights Watch, denounced the sanctions as “an embarrassing new minimum for the US commitment to justice for victims of the worst crimes.”

The move by Pompeo marked “a stunning perversion of US sanctions designed to punish rights violators and kleptocrats against war crimes prosecutors,” she tweeted.

Created under a UN treaty in 2002, the ICC investigates and prosecutes those responsible for genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes, intervening when national authorities are unable or unwilling to initiate criminal proceedings.

  • What is the International Criminal Court?

The treaty has been ratified by 123 countries, including Great Britain. But the US – along with China, India, and Russia – refused to join, while some African countries accuse the body of being unfairly focused on Africans

What are the sanctions?

President Donald Trump issued a decree in June, allowing the US to freeze the assets of ICC employees and prevent them from entering the country.

Addressing reporters on Wednesday, Pompeo said that Ms Bensuda and Fakiso Mochochoko, head of jurisdiction, complementarity and cooperation, should be sanctioned under the order.

See also  Mauritius oil spill: Cargo ship has break up in two

Rejecting the ICC as “a completely broken and corrupt institution,” he said those who continue to “financially support these people also risk being sanctioned.”

The US Department of State also restricted the issuance of visas to ICC staff involved in “US personnel investigation efforts.”

Media playback is not supported on your device

Media headline“ICC will not stop US coercion”

When President Trump issued his executive order in June, the ICC condemned what he called “further threats and coercive actions” against him.

“The attack on the ICC also constitutes an attack on the interests of the victims of atrocities, for many of whom the Court represents the last hope of justice.” his statement reads

Who is Fatou Bensouda?

As a former Minister of Justice in the Gambia, her home country, Ms Bensouda was ideally placed to replace Luis Moreno-Ocampo as Chief Prosecutor of the ICC, as she served as his deputy throughout his term.

She also previously served as Senior Legal Adviser for the UN-backed tribunal that prosecuted the alleged leaders of the 1994 Rwandan genocide.

While it expanded the ICC’s investigations to address conflicts elsewhere, which now angered the United States, Africa remained its primary focus. All ICC lawsuits have so far focused only on Africans – and Democratic Republic of Congo militia leader Thomas Lubanga became the first person to be convicted of war crimes by the ICC in 2012.

But Ms Bensouda has also suffered a series of defeats, including acquitting former Ivory Coast President Laurent Gbagbo of war crimes charges in 2019 and dropping charges of crimes against humanity against Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta in 2014.

See also  Trump launches Facebook rival with blank check - Markets

What is the ICC investigating?

The ICC began investigating alleged war crimes by the United States and other parties to the Afghan conflict earlier this year.

In accordance with ICC litigation, the court can issue an arrest warrant or a subpoena after prosecutors gather sufficient evidence and identify suspects. From there, they will decide if there is enough evidence for the case to go to trial.

At the time, Pompeo promised to protect Americans from investigation, calling it “a truly spectacular act of an irresponsible political institution masquerading as a legal entity.”

A 2016 ICC report states that there are reasonable grounds to believe that the US military used torture. in secret detention facilities operated by the CIA.

  • Afghanistan: a long road to peace
  • The Afghan War: A Short and Long History

It is expected that the actions of the Taliban, Afghan government and US troops from May 2003 will be reviewed by the court.

Afghanistan is a member of the court, but officials there have also expressed opposition to the investigation.

Media playback is not supported on your device

Media headlineThe International Criminal Court has been heavily criticized – most recently from the United States.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Ukraine exchanges prisoners with Russia for the third time in a week – News

Published

on

“We managed to free twelve of our people. Among them are four Navy servicemen, two National Guardsmen, two border guards, a serviceman of the Territorial Defense Forces and three civilians: a husband and wife and a missing man,” Andriy Yermak, head of the presidential staff, wrote. ., in your online Telegram account.

Yermak said the soldiers may have been captured during the siege of the coastal city of Mariupol in southern Ukraine, the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, which Russian troops occupied for a month last spring, and Snake Island in the Black Sea.

According to the head of the presidential office, with such an exchange, the number of Ukrainian prisoners of war exchanged with Russia per week rises to 98.

“We are working to free all of our people. We will not stop,” Yermak concluded.

For its part, the Russian Defense Ministry said nine Russian servicemen were returned this Saturday “from territories controlled by the Kyiv regime.”

Last Thursday, 50 Ukrainian and Russian prisoners of war were exchanged, and the day before, 35 Russian servicemen were released for the same number of Ukrainian military and one civilian.

See also  Georgia school district closes second substantial college as coronavirus quarantines mature
Continue Reading

World

“I share your pain,” Putin told the mothers of Russian soldiers sent to war in Ukraine – War in Ukraine

Published

on

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday told mothers of Russian soldiers fighting in Ukraine that he “shares the pain” of those who have lost their children and urged them not to believe the “lie” about the invasion.

“I want you to know that I personally share your pain. We know that nothing can replace the loss of a child,” Putin said.

According to news site EuroNews, the Russian leader also added that Mother’s Day, celebrated in Russia this Sunday, will be marked this year by “a sense of unease and unease” among women whose “thoughts will be with their boys.”

Putin’s meeting with the soldiers’ mothers took place at the leader’s residence outside Moscow and was the first of its kind since the start of the Russian invasion on February 24. The Kremlin rarely talks about the losses suffered in Ukraine, and the meeting, which took place this Friday, comes after weeks of criticism on social media from relatives of soldiers mobilized in early autumn.

Many soldiers’ wives and mothers blamed the authorities for not properly training and equipping them before being sent to the front, EuroNews reports.

“Life is more complicated than what you see on TV or on the Internet, where you can’t trust anything. A lot of false information, a lot of lies,” Putin replied.

The Russian president also said he occasionally talks on his cell phone to soldiers sent to Ukraine and said he was “surprised” by their “state of mind.”

“They give me reason to say that they are heroes, it’s true,” he added.

See also  Trump launches Facebook rival with blank check - Markets

Continue Reading

World

Russia sends elite paratroopers to the front line in Donbass after leaving Kherson – Obozrevatel

Published

on

whitefish here our liveblog from the war in Ukraine

In the first hours of the invasion, on February 24, Russian paratroopers were in the Kyiv area. A few weeks ago they were dedicated to the defense of territories west of the Dnieper, in Kherson. After the withdrawal of Russian troops, some units are sent to a new front, this time to the Donetsk and Luhansk regions.

British Ministry of Defense disclosed that, despite the “strong weakening” during the nine months of the war, part of the units of the Russian Air Force (VDV) will return to the combat front.

Some of these units will be reinforced by Russians called up during the partial mobilization announced in September by President Vladimir Putin. Despite the promise of training and equipment, soldiers arrive in Ukraine ill-prepared, and there are already records of the first deaths among mobilized Russian troops. However, the British Ministry assumes that the new elements integrated into the Airborne Forces will be sent to the most important places.

Russian soldiers died in Ukraine 10 days after being sent

In the most recent report, the United Kingdom points out that “although these untrained soldiers undermine the supposedly elite capability of the Airborne Forces, Russia is likely to deploy these units in sectors considered particularly important.”

In the Donbass, units are expected to support the defense of the Kremina-Svatovo area in Lugansk. According to The Telegraph, it was in this city that Russian troops settled after leaving Kharkov. The British ministry also says units could be sent to reinforce defensive operations in the town of Bakhmut in Donetsk, which has been one of the hotbeds of heavy fighting in recent weeks.

Continue Reading

Trending