Connect with us

World

Trump and Pentagon to announce plan to withdraw additional US troops from Iraq

Published

on

Trump and Pentagon to announce plan to withdraw additional US troops from Iraq

President Trump and Pentagon plan to announce a reduction in U.S. troop levels from 5,200 to about 3,500, a senior Defense Department official told Fox News.

A coordinated announcement is expected sometime on Wednesday, and the Iraqis are aware of the decision and are willing to cooperate, the official said.

Trump awards medal of honor on September 11 to soldier who rescued 75 hostages

A senior administration official discussed the cut with reporters aboard Air Force One on Tuesday evening, on condition of anonymity.

In August, ISIS launched more than 100 attacks in Iraq, a sharp increase from the previous month.

In July, the US chief general for the Middle East said that he believed the US would maintain a smaller but lasting presence in Iraq.

Marine Corps General Frank McKenzie, commander of US Central Command, said he believes the Iraqis welcome US and coalition troops, especially in the ongoing struggle to prevent IS from taking over the country again.

Trump told reporters two weeks ago that “we look forward to the day we don’t have to be there.” The comments were made during a meeting in the Oval Office with Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi. The move appears to be an attempt by Trump to fulfill his promise to end US involvement in “endless wars.”

GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Military officials have already announced plans to reduce the number of troops in Afghanistan to 4-5,000 from current levels. This announcement will follow from the President in the coming days. A senior US official told Fox that there will be no immediate change in the number of US troops currently in Syria, roughly 600.

See also  Brazilian Bishop Resigns After Intimate Video Release

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

World

After the surrender at Azovstal, the fate of Ukrainian soldiers is unclear – Obozrevatel

Published

on

You have free access to all Observer articles as a subscriber.

The withdrawal of hundreds of Ukrainian soldiers who had been at the Azovstal plant in Mariupol since the beginning of the war raised the question: what was the fate of those who surrendered? Ukraine has announced that a prisoner exchange will take place, while Russia is showing signs that the men, who remained for months at the factory in Russian-controlled territory, have another destination.

On the day of the surrender, the Deputy Minister of Defense of Ukraine confirmed the withdrawal of 53 soldiers who needed medical attention and another 211 soldiers who were inside the Azovstal steel plant. All were transported to regions controlled by the troops of Vladimir Putin.

Although a Ukrainian official said the aim is to exchange these soldiers for Russian prisoners of war, the Kremlin’s position is still unclear, especially after one of the deputies involved in the peace talks with Kyiv came to defend the death penalty for soldiers withdrawn from Azovstal. .

Give up? In total, 264 soldiers were withdrawn from Azovstal. The army said it had “completed” the defense of the plant

A PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

If Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov assured that the soldiers would be treated “in accordance with international standards,” then so be it. that Russia should “think well” about imposing capital punishment on the members of the Azov battalion, who have now been withdrawn from the Azovstal metallurgical plant.

“They do not deserve to live after the heinous crimes against humanity that they have committed and that are constantly being committed against our prisoners,” he said, quoted by Reuters.

Already on Tuesday it became known that on May 26 the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation will decide on the recognition of the Azov battalion as a terrorist organization. According to the Interfax news agency, cited by the BBC, it will be Russian justice that will “judge the nationalist paramilitary association Azov, deciding whether it is a” terrorist organization “.

According to the Russian news agency RIA, Russian MP Sultan Khamzaev also said that “all nationalists should be convicted for the grave crimes they have committed” and sentenced to “life imprisonment.”

Azov. Neo-Nazis or Russian propaganda? History and ideology of the battalion that survived in Mariupol

See also  Robert F. Kennedy suspected of parole after 52 years - world
Continue Reading

World

Putin will make military decisions at the level of colonel or brigade | Russia

Published

on


Russian President Vladimir Putin will be so involved in the war in Ukraine that he will make military decisions, which are usually the responsibility of colonels or brigadier generals, usually leading teams of 700 to 900 troops, Western military sources cited by the British press office said. Click.

Continue Reading

World

“We are doing everything possible to save the crew” – Observer

Published

on

You have free access to all Observer articles as a subscriber.

The Ukrainian Armed Forces shared on their Facebook account an audio recording of the last moments of the crew aboard the Moskva, the Russian warship that successfully attacked Ukraine.

Moscow-1, two holes! The propeller has stopped! The ship is sinking and lying on its side“, His one of the crew members can be heard speaking in the audio, according to the New York Post. Russian warship was April 14 blowin the Black Sea, eventually sank.

The first pictures of the ship “Moskva” after the Ukrainian attack. Sailor’s mother reveals ‘terrifying’ scenario

On the recording, so far according to the New York newspaper, the sailor reports that a hole in the ship’s hull below the waterline will cause the ship to turn 30 degrees.

A PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

There is no way to get to the tugs. We are doing everything we can to save the crew.”

The battleship Moskva, built during the Soviet Union, was one of the main assets of the Russian fleet. Ukrainian forces provided the ship was hit by Neptune missiles.. Then the Russians said that the flooding was due to a fire on board, without specifying the cause of the fire.

Rocket “Neptune”: Ukrainian ace who sank the “Moscow”, the pearl of the Russian fleet

See also  Robert F. Kennedy suspected of parole after 52 years - world
Continue Reading

Trending