Connect with us

Top News

Thousands of refugees sleep hard without food after fire in Moria | news

Published

on

Thousands of refugees sleep hard without food after fire in Moria |  news

Thousands of refugees slept hard on the Greek island of Lesvos for the second night after a fire razed the country’s largest camp, sending the crowds to flight, but they had nowhere to go.

Families slept on roadsides, in supermarket parking lots and in fields across the island, at the forefront of the European migrant crisis in 2015-2016.

There were about 13 thousand people in the camp.

On Tuesday night in Moria, thousands of people rushed to save their lives, transforming the camp, notorious for its poor living conditions, into a mass of smoldering steel and molten tarpaulin.

A second fire broke out Wednesday night, destroying what little remained.

People sleep on the road near the Moria refugee camp on the northeastern island of Lesvos, Greece [Petros Giannakouris/The Associated Press]

Desperate families, many with young children, spent Wednesday night outdoors, some without tents or simple bedding. Some of the homeless went to nearby villages to fetch water and other supplies.

Police reinforcements were introduced to prevent refugees and migrants from reaching the main town of the island of Mytilini by limiting them to fields and roadsides.

An eight-year-old Congolese girl Valencia, who was barefoot, showed a Reuters reporter that she was hungry and asked for a cookie. “Our house burned down, my shoes burned down, we have no food, no water.”

Both she and her mother Natzi Malala, 30, who has a newborn, slept on the side of the road.

“No food, no milk for the baby,” Natzi Malala said.

See also  Portuguese brain helps Biden democratize artificial intelligence

Officials declared a four-month state of emergency in Lesvos and flew in with additional special forces.

The Ministry of Migration said it will take “all necessary steps” to provide shelter to vulnerable groups and families, but they are expected to meet stiff resistance from local residents.

Authorities have already been in dispute with local residents over plans to replace Moriah with a closed reception center, which Lesbos residents fear would mean thousands of asylum seekers will remain forever.

According to Kostas Mutsuris, governor of the North Aegean Sea, municipalities are at odds on how to handle the situation. “There is no solution. It’s in the air,” he told Reuters.

Refugees and migrants take refuge in the forest after a fire at the Moria camp on Lesvos, Greece, 10 September 2020 REUTERS / Alkis Konstantinidis

Refugees and migrants take refuge in the forest after a fire at the Moriya camp [Alkis Konstantinidis/Reuters]

The Ministry of Migration said that before the expected arrival of European Commission Vice President Margaritis Schinas, a ferry was sent to check conditions on the island to accommodate hundreds of people.

John Psaropoulos of Al Jazeera, a reporter from Lesbos, said the situation is dire for the government.

“It’s hard to see how the government is going to settle so many thousands [refugees] who were left homeless and homeless.

“We have been informed that there are three ships on the move, which will house thousands of the most vulnerable people with small children, but this will probably still leave several thousand unattended. This is a huge problem because the municipality does not have the infrastructure to provide them. … “

A government official, who declined to be named, said sheltering refugees and migrants in boats is not a safe solution and is sending the wrong message to migrants who would like to leave Lesbos.

See also  Algeria interested in Portuguese companies investing in renewable energy - Observer

The fire brought new tragedy to the refugees who lived in Moria. Camp was under quarantine restrictions due to the COVID-19 outbreak last week.

Authorities are investigating whether Tuesday’s fires were deliberately started after COVID-19 tests led to the isolation of 35 refugees.

SOURCE:
Al Jazeera and news agencies

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Los Angeles Apparel Manufacturing unit Shut Down Soon after A lot more Than 300 Coronavirus Conditions

Continue Reading

Trending