Connect with us

entertainment

Coronavirus: Labor Demands Review Of Airport Tests To Reduce Quarantine

Published

on

Coronavirus: Labor Demands Review Of Airport Tests To Reduce Quarantine

Image copyright
EPA

Options for testing for coronavirus at the airport should be explored to reduce the number of travelers who have to spend two weeks in quarantine, Labor said.

When revising “chaotic” quarantine rules, a “robust testing regime” should be considered given the “dire warnings” of the tourism industry, the party said.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that airport tests only detect 7% of cases and could therefore give a “false sense of security.”

A government spokesman said that an assessment of how testing could help is ongoing.

“Any potential changes in testing arrivals must be robust to minimize the chances of missing positive cases,” he said.

The BBC reported that the decision of the Cabinet of Ministers to introduce tests at airports has been repeatedly postponed and now may never take place.

People entering the UK face 14 days of self-isolation if they do not arrive from tax-exempt countries, a status determined by individual authorities in each of the four countries.

In recent weeks, Britons vacationing in France, Spain and the Netherlands have been caught abolishing the exemptions at short notice.

Last week, Scotland and Wales announced quarantine for arrivals from Portugal and parts of Greece, while England and Northern Ireland abstained.

UK Transport Secretary Grant Shapps admitted that this has created a “confusing” situation for travelers.

Media playback is not supported on your device

Media headlineThe prime minister said the quarantine system is “an important part of our repertoire.”

In a letter to Interior Minister Priti Patel, Labor argues that these measures “are losing public confidence and undermining our ability to keep people safe and keep jobs.”

Shadow Interior Secretary Nick Thomas-Symonds is demanding a report within two weeks.

“It should include outlining options for a robust airport testing regime and associated follow-up tests that can help safely minimize the need for a 14-day quarantine,” he writes.

“Given the enormous challenges facing the tourism sector and the scale of job losses, it makes sense to see this area as part of a broader package of improvements in testing mode.”

He also said there was “serious concern” about poor monitoring of arriving travelers, claiming that “less than a third of passenger location profiles are checked.”

Airlines have criticized the use of quarantine measures at a time when global blockages have contributed to a drop in passenger demand.

Virgin Atlantic on Friday announced plans to cut another 1,150 jobs following the completion of a £ 1.2bn bailout deal, months after a 3,150 job cut due to a collapse in demand caused by the pandemic.

The airport authorities also criticized the ministers.

Testing laboratories have already been set up at London Heathrow Airport, CEO John Holland-Kay said last week.

“It is disappointing that the government has simply not made the decision to continue this work, while the governments of other European countries continue to do so,” he added.

France and Germany use airport testing for passengers arriving from countries with higher infection rates.

And on Friday, former Brexit secretary David Davis said testing at UK airports – in which passengers will receive results within two hours – could reduce the quarantine to “less than five days.”

“If anyone tests positive, they should be quarantined right here,” he said, arguing that the government could pay to place them in underused airport hotels.

However, the prime minister responded by pointing to England’s public health models, which would only detect 7% of cases.

Understanding the “challenges” facing the aviation industry, Mr. Johnson said, “93% of the time, you may have a false sense of security, a false sense of confidence, when you arrive and take your exam.”

“The quarantine system that we have should be an important part of our repertoire, our toolbox in the fight against Covid,” he added.

See also  "They Don't Realize": George Lucas's Ex-Wife and Co-Writer Made the Latest Star Wars Movie
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

entertainment

Bruno Nogueira regressa à antena da SIC com ″programa que vai abalar consciências″

Published

on

Bruno Nogueira regressa à antena da SIC com ″programa que vai abalar consciências″

“Tabu” é o novo programa de Bruno Nogueira, que a SIC estreará em breve. “Depois de princípio, meio e fim”, humorista assume formato inovador e premiado em todo o mundo, pelo sucesso em países como Israel, Canadá, Dinamarca, Espanha, Austrália, Suíça ou Bélgica, onde foi criado.

“Um dos maiores desafios de humor alguma vez feito na televisão portuguesa”, anunciou a SIC, promovendo o regresso de Bruno Nogueira à ação. A estação de Paço de Arcos promete um “programa que vai abalar consciências e suscitar o debate na sociedade”.

Adaptado do formato de sucesso internacional criado na Bélgica, “Tabu” irá explorar os limites do que se convencionou ser interdito ao exercício do humor. Quebrando preconceitos, Bruno Nogueira vai provar que os temas mais sensiveis podem ser abordados sem receios ou pudores.

Um exercício que se antevê libertador para os participantses na experiência, os telespectadores e até para o próprio humorista. Depois de passar uma semana com um grupo vulnerável, observando limitações e interações, absorvendo histórias e atitudes, Bruno irá tornar cada um dos elementos e as suas vivências protagonistas de um espectáculo de stand up ímpar.

Premiado pelo sucesso em países em países como Israel, Canada, Dinamarca, Espanha, Austrália, Suíça e Bélgica, “Tabu” tem estreia prevista para breve.

See also  "They Don't Realize": George Lucas's Ex-Wife and Co-Writer Made the Latest Star Wars Movie
Continue Reading

entertainment

At 78, Carlos Areya confesses his “sudden desire” to become a father again.

Published

on

At 78, Carlos Areya confesses his “sudden desire” to become a father again.

Together 13 years Carlos Areya e beautiful rose told a little more about their relationship in the program Julia, from SIC. The actress conducted an interview with her partner, where they both talked about the possibility of having children.

“Two years ago you had a sudden desire to have a child from me”Rose said.

It was unexpected, but very well thought out. It took years to think”, – admitted Carlos Areya, recalling that the actress showed a desire to have children at an early stage of the relationship.

“I would say to you: “You are so young and just starting to take your first steps in the profession. Maybe it’s not good.” When an actress has more or less established a career, it’s good. Get married, get pregnant, get pregnant, go sign up, don’t sign up… Here you are, at the beginning of your career, it was a hindrance to your career. I thought so. Maybe I thought wrong”– said the actor.

“Then I thought about the instability of the profession and that we are surrounded by close relatives who could somehow support us. We didn’t have anyone, then financial instability … I put everything on the balance sheet, and no, not there.”, continuation.

>> CARLOS AREA REMEMBERS THE TROUBLE BEGINNING OF A RELATIONSHIP: ‘I FELT BETRAYED’

“Suddenly everything became more or less calm, and what I thought about the people around us who could give us this support, I have two sisters who are the best women in the world. They would be happy if I gave them a child in their arms, and I would like to leave another child here, and Rosa too., reinforced.

See also  "They Don't Realize": George Lucas's Ex-Wife and Co-Writer Made the Latest Star Wars Movie

For her part, Rosa Bela explained that the baby has not yet been born because she believes that he is at a stage in life that “this shouldn’t happen”.

However, the couple does not rule out this desire.

Continue Reading

entertainment

Khloe Kardashian criticized for selling her daughter’s used clothes: “Greed is above average”

Published

on

Khloe Kardashian criticized for selling her daughter's used clothes: "Greed is above average"

She belongs to the most media-rich family in the world and recently made a name for herself by listing some of her three-year-old daughter’s used items for sale online. Khloe Kardashian shared link to buy clothes, but reactions in Twitter they were not kept waiting.

One of the things dress out Aristocrats Children, costs about 490 euros and a pair of jeans fendi were put up for sale for 438 euros. There is also tennis Gucci for 220 euros. “Who’s going to pay that much for baby clothes and second-hand clothes on top of that? These clothes could be donated to those in need”, “Tru’s clothes are much more expensive than many mothers can afford”, “Are you broke? These prices are ridiculous.” e “Greed above average– here are some of the dozens of comments criticizing the businesswoman and the star reality show.

See also  "They Don't Realize": George Lucas's Ex-Wife and Co-Writer Made the Latest Star Wars Movie
Continue Reading

Trending