Connect with us

World

Chinese state media condemn raids on Chinese journalists in Australia

Published

on

Chinese state media condemn raids on Chinese journalists in Australia

A general view of the Australian flag during a welcoming ceremony for then Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard outside the Great Hall of the People’s Assembly on April 9, 2013 in Beijing, China.

Feng Li | Getty Images

The raids on Chinese journalists living in Australia are “horrific” and damage relations between the two countries, state-owned Xinhua News Agency reported.

China’s state-backed tabloid Global Times reported earlier this week that Australian authorities raided the homes of four Chinese journalists living in the country in June.

“This crude, domineering and unreasonable act was extremely terrible. It completely exposes the Cold War mentality and political biases of some Australian departments and officials, ”a Xinhua spokesman said.

“What they have done is not only seriously damaging the reputation and image of the Chinese media, but also seriously hampering the normal exchange of people between China and Australia,” added an unidentified spokesman.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said Thursday that such actions by Australia “grossly violate the legal rights and interests of Chinese journalists and seriously harm the physical and mental health of journalists and their families.”

Australia’s Commerce Secretary responded on Friday to reports that security services were acting in accordance with the law.

Relations between the two major trading partners became increasingly strained, and news of the raids coincided with two Australian journalists leave China

The couple returned home with the help of consular officials after Chinese security officials visited and questioned their residences in Beijing and Shanghai.

Another Australian citizen, China TV host Cheng Lei, was detained by the Chinese authorities in August

See also  European Commission recommends approving Ukraine's application for membership | European Union

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

The war in Ukraine has entered a dangerous phase of a terrible scenario at the nuclear level – Obozrevatel

Published

on

European Union (EU) diplomacy chief Josep Borrell said on Wednesday that the war in Ukraine caused by the Russian invasion is now “in a dangerous phase” due to a “terrible scenario” regarding Russian nuclear weapons.

The war continues, and the news from the battlefields is favorable for Ukraine. Ukraine is back on the offensive [mas] The war has entered a new phase, a phase that is undoubtedly dangerous because we are facing a frightening scenario that we must not turn a blind eye to,” said the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy.

Speaking in a debate at the plenary session of the European Parliament in the French city of Strasbourg, Josep Borrell spoke of “a scenario of conventional war involving a nuclear power, a nuclear power that is now retreating from the usual scenario and that threatens to use nuclear weapons.”

“This is certainly a worrying scenario in which we must show that our support for Ukraine is unwavering,” he stressed.

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

Despite emphasizing that “Ukraine is advancing on three fronts, in the Donbass, […]in the southern center of Zaporizhia, advancing on Mariupol, and finally on Kherson,” the head of public diplomacy pointed out that Russia “still has a superiority in numbers, superiority in firepower,” so caution is needed.

Earlier today, EU member states reached a political agreement on new sanctions against Russia for invading Ukraine, the eighth package, due to come into effect on Thursday as a “strong response” to the annexation of Ukrainian territories.

Proposed by the European Commission last Wednesday, amid Russia’s “new escalation” with “fraudulent referendums”, partial mobilizations and the threat of nuclear weapons, a new package of EU sanctions includes a ceiling on Russian oil prices, new trade restrictions, depriving Russia of about 7 billion euros revenues, a ban on the export of more products to deprive the Kremlin of key technologies for the Russian military machine, and an update to the list of individuals and entities subject to restrictive measures. .

See also  COVID-19. On the way to the 4th dose of the Graça vaccine, Freitas is already talking about the 5th

In particular, the EU added pro-Russian officials in the Russian-occupied Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson and Zaporozhye regions to the list of individual sanctions.

In recent days, there have even been Russian attacks on the area of ​​the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant in southern Ukraine, the largest in Europe, after Russian President Vladimir Putin announced a partial mobilization of 300,000 Russian reservists.

“The position of the Russian army is very bad. Including because the Russian soldiers do not know what the war is for, and those 300,000 who will be taken from their native places to the front will understand even less, so the war can be won on the battlefield, but it must be won. in the realm of ideas. In addition to the war itself, there is another war – the war for the supremacy of values, ”said Josep Borrell.

And at a time when there are fears of interruptions in Russian gas supplies to the EU, the head of EU diplomacy stressed that Russian President Vladimir Putin “waits for cold weather, interruptions in gas supplies, high prices and low temperatures in order to undermine the European will and will continue to support Ukraine”.

“Here we need to ask the Europeans to understand what is at stake, because our support for Ukraine is not just a matter of generosity, our support for Ukraine must be unwavering, because the security of Ukraine is inextricably linked to our own security,” he added.

Continue Reading

World

Ukraine: war has entered ‘dangerous phase’, head of European diplomat warns

Published

on

“The war continues, and the news from the battlefield is favorable for Ukraine. Ukraine is back on the offensive [mas] The war has entered a new phase, a phase that is undoubtedly dangerous because we are facing a frightening scenario that we must not turn a blind eye to,” said the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy.

Speaking in a debate at the plenary session of the European Parliament in the French city of Strasbourg, Josep Borrell spoke of “a scenario of conventional war involving a nuclear power, a nuclear power that is now retreating from the usual scenario and that threatens to use nuclear weapons.”

“This is certainly a worrying scenario in which we must show that our support for Ukraine is unwavering,” he stressed.

Despite emphasizing that “Ukraine is advancing on three fronts, in the Donbass, […]in the southern center of Zaporizhia, advancing on Mariupol, and finally on Kherson,” the head of public diplomacy pointed out that Russia “still has a superiority in numbers, superiority in firepower,” so caution is needed.

Earlier today, EU member states reached a political agreement on new sanctions against Russia for invading Ukraine, the eighth package, due to come into effect on Thursday as a “strong response” to the annexation of Ukrainian territories.

Proposed by the European Commission last Wednesday, amid Russia’s “new escalation” with “fraudulent referendums”, partial mobilizations and the threat of nuclear weapons, a new package of EU sanctions includes a ceiling on Russian oil prices, new trade restrictions, depriving Russia of about 7 billion euros revenues, a ban on the export of more products to deprive the Kremlin of key technologies for the Russian military machine, and an update to the list of individuals and entities subject to restrictive measures. .

See also  SIC News | Portugal explains why it did not sign a letter condemning Hungarian law that discriminates against the LGBT community.

In particular, the EU added to the list of individual sanctions pro-Russian officials in the Russian-occupied Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson and Zaporozhye regions of Ukraine.

In recent days, there have even been Russian attacks on the area of ​​the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant in southern Ukraine, the largest in Europe, after Russian President Vladimir Putin announced a partial mobilization of 300,000 Russian reservists.

“The position of the Russian army is very bad. Including because the Russian soldiers do not know what the war is for, and those 300,000 who will be taken from their native places to the front will understand even less, so the war can be won on the battlefield, but it must be won. in the realm of ideas. In addition to the war itself, there is another war – the war for the supremacy of values, ”said Josep Borrell.

And at a time when there are fears of interruptions in Russian gas supplies to the EU, the head of EU diplomacy stressed that Russian President Vladimir Putin “waits for cold weather, interruptions in gas supplies, high prices and low temperatures in order to undermine the European will and will continue to support Ukraine”.

“Here we need to ask the Europeans to understand what is at stake, because our support for Ukraine is not just a matter of generosity, our support for Ukraine must be unwavering, because the security of Ukraine is inextricably linked to our own security,” he added.

Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24th.

Continue Reading

World

Maps released by Russian Defense Ministry show rapid withdrawal of troops from Ukraine – Obozrevatel

Published

on

follow up here our Ukrainian military live blog

Maps released on Tuesday by Russian authorities appear to show a rapid withdrawal of Russian troops from areas in southern and eastern Ukraine, where they are facing heavy pressure from the Ukrainian counteroffensive.

Number briefing Every day, the Russian Ministry of Defense showed several maps to pinpoint the exact location of the attacks that the military is carrying out on the territory of Ukraine. Although there was no mention of the withdrawal of soldiers, various media outlets indicated that the shaded area related to Russian military control decreased significantly compared to the previous day.

According to the statement, the images were later posted on social media by Rybar, one of the few Russian sources of military information. sky news. The blue areas are under Ukrainian control, the red areas are controlled by Russia and the separatist authorities in Donetsk and Luhansk. Areas with stripes refer to the war zone.

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

In the Kherson region (south), maps show that Russian troops no longer control the town of Dudchany, located on the western bank of the Dnieper River, an area where the Ukrainian Armed Forces are trying to reclaim territory.

Indeed, on Monday, the Russian-appointed regional leader of Kherson already acknowledged the successes of the Ukrainian military. “Tense, so to speak,” Vladimir Saldo said in an interview with Russian state television. “There is a place called Dudchany, along the Dnieper, and there, in that area, there were advances,” explained.

See also  'Central mammoth' found at Mexico airport construction site

How do you refer to Reuterson the maps issued now it is indicated that in Kherson The Russian line of control on the right bank of the Dnieper appears to have shifted 25 kilometers south.

In Kharkiv Oblast (northeast), maps show that the Russians appear to have abandoned their positions on the west bank of the Oskil River. Along the front line about 70 km south of Kupyansk along the Oskill River, the military will retreat about 20 kilometers to the eastto the Lugansk border.

This change means that the Russian military has left the last areas they occupied in the Kharkiv region, with the exception of a small area between the city of Dvorechnaya and the border with Russia.

A list of weapons from Ukraine to the United States, a risky plan and an inexperienced Russian battalion: behind the scenes of the counteroffensive in Kharkov

Both regions are areas where Ukraine has made progress, albeit in a limited way. The Ukrainian president stressed on Tuesday that Ukrainian forces were pursuing a “fast and powerful” offensive in the country’s south, adding that dozens of settlements had been recaptured this week in four regions recently annexed by Moscow. “This week alone, dozens of sites have been cleared” in southern and eastern Ukraine, he said.

Continue Reading

Trending