Connect with us

World

China Launches Global Data Security Initiative To Counter US Pressure

Published

on

China Launches Global Data Security Initiative To Counter US Pressure

President Xi Jinping speaks at the opening ceremony for the fifth annual meeting of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank via video link in Beijing, the capital of China, on July 28, 2020.

Xinhua News Agency | Getty Images

GUANGZHOU, China – China on Tuesday launched a Global Data Security Initiative that sets out principles to be followed in areas from personal information to espionage.

The initiative, announced by Foreign Minister Wang Yi in Beijing, arose as the United States continues to put pressure on China’s largest tech companies and persuade countries around the world to block them.

China’s initiative includes eight key points, including avoiding the use of technology to harm critical infrastructure in other countries or steal data, and ensuring that service providers do not install backdoors in their products and do not obtain illegal user data.

Wang also said that the initiative aims to end activities that “infringe on personal information” and discourage the use of technology for mass surveillance of other states.

Companies must also respect the laws of host countries and stop forcing domestic firms to store data obtained abroad on their own territory, the initiative says.

Many of these points seem to be in line with some of Washington’s accusations.

The US has accused China’s tech companies of creating threats to national security by collecting user data and sending it back to Beijing. Companies like Huawei and ByteDance have denied these allegations.

Anyone who signs up to a commitment must also respect the sovereignty, jurisdiction and data management of other countries and not ask companies or individuals located in other countries to provide data without permission.

See also  The Gabby Petito case. Locals say the laundry was eaten by crocodiles and wild pigs

China has its own rules regarding censorship and data. The system, known as the Great Firewall, effectively blocks services such as Google and Facebook, while China’s censors regularly order the country’s Internet companies to remove content. Meanwhile, countries like Australia have expressed concern about two pieces of Chinese law that seems to force companies to send data to Beijing if asked

It is unclear if any country has joined China’s initiative and how it will be implemented and monitored. But the world’s second largest economy was striving enhance their role in setting standards around the world from data to telecommunications.

… that one country continues to make unfounded accusations against others in the name of a clean web and has used security as an excuse to hunt down businesses in other countries that have a competitive edge.

Wang Yi

Foreign Minister of China

In his speech, Wang hit the United States hard by announcing the initiative.

“Seeking unilateral action, one country continues to make unfounded accusations against others in the name of a clean network and uses security as an excuse to hunt down businesses in other countries that have a competitive edge,” he said. “Such flagrant acts of intimidation must be confronted and rejected.”

Last month USA Introduces Clean Net Initiative, a program designed to “protect national assets, including the privacy of citizens and the most important information of companies, from aggressive intrusions by intruders such as the Chinese Communist Party.”

The US State Department reports that it has joined more than 30 countries, but did not name them. Several companies also participate in its program.

See also  Italian antivirus tries to trick a nurse with a fake hand - Observer

Meanwhile, Washington is stepping up pressure on Chinese tech companies. In August, the United States amended the rule that effectively cut Huawei off from major semiconductor suppliers… And that same month, President Donald Trump signed an order disallow transactions with TikTok owner ByteDance and WeChat owner Tencent.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Alternative luxury destinations allow you to save up to 5600 euros. Know what – IVF

Published

on






Alternative luxury destinations allow you to save up to 5600 euros. Know what – IVF































Your browser is out of date!

Please upgrade your browser to better view this site. Update your browser now

×

See also  La Palma: 79 earthquakes at dawn, after a 4.9 magnitude earthquake and the collapse of a new volcano's cone | Spain
Continue Reading

World

Russia warns that Moldova’s EU candidacy will have “negative consequences” for the country – Obozrevatel

Published

on

You have free access to all Observer articles as a subscriber.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova warned on Friday that the status of Moldova and Ukraine’s candidate for the European Union would be “Negative consequences” for both countries.

“By the decision to grant Ukraine and Moldova the status of a candidate country, the European Union confirms that it continues to actively study the countries of the Commonwealth of Independent States. [CIS, sigla em inglês] at the geopolitical levelusing them to “contain” Russia.”, declared It is reported by Reuters with reference to Maria Zakharova.

The diplomatic leader pointed out that the authorities of the two countries do not take into account the “negative consequences” of their decision, accusing the European Union of sacrificing democratic ideals through “limitless expansion” and politics, “politically and economically enslaves its neighbors.”

Former Russian President and Deputy Chairman of the Russian Security Council Dmitry Medvedev also criticized Moldova’s decision to join the European Union. In a post on his personal Telegram account this Saturday, the political leader indicated that the EU is seeking to create a “Greater Romania” – a union of Romanian and Moldovan territories – for which he has embarked on a “devaluation of Moldova”. through “hatred of Russia”.

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

Pointing his finger at the Moldovan authorities, Dmitry Medvedev hinted that “European perspectives” for the country would bring “very expensive energy costs” and will also lead to the “loss of the Russian market” for Moldovan agricultural products. In addition, commenting on the country’s decision to apply sanctions against Russia, the former Russian president said that the country’s authorities are “trying to please their new masters.”

“Let’s let them do it. They can be 100% sure that they won’t get anything from us,” Dmitry Medvedev threatened, adding that Moldova could do without Russian “energy”, as well as “other resources”: “We will allow them to enjoy sanctions before joining the EU.”

For his part, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba has already reacted to Russian warnings. “We are on the side of the people and the friendly government of Moldova,” he wrote on his personal Twitter account. In this publication, the head of Ukrainian diplomacy further accused Russia of “leaving threats to other states after decades of misguided policies based on aggression, coercion and disrespect.” “It just shows Russia’s weakness.”

See also  Coronavirus live news: global cases pass 22m as Wall Street record defies economic gloom | World news
Continue Reading

World

More fears in Afghanistan

Published

on


















Fears are growing over the victims of the earthquake that killed more than 1,150 people in Afghanistan this Wednesday, and citizens are warning of the dangers and hardships that citizens are suffering.

Despite the incoming first aid from the international community, hundreds of citizens were left homeless and without medical care.

“The Ministry of Health is short of medicines, we need medical care and other needs because this is a big disaster,” said an official quoted by the Guardian, while citizen Zaytullah Gurziwal warned that “there were no blankets.” , tents or sheds. But the problems don’t end there. “Our entire water supply system is destroyed. There is literally nothing to eat,” writes AFP.

The international community has already begun mobilizing to help Afghanistan, with United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres deploring the “deadly” natural disaster that has hit eastern Afghanistan.

Guterres said the UN is “fully mobilized” and that teams in Afghanistan are on the ground assessing “needs and providing initial support.”

“I express my deepest condolences to the families of the victims and wish a speedy recovery to the injured,” he added.

Several other organizations, including the World Health Organization, the local Red Crescent and the World Food Program, have begun sending mobile medical teams to Paktika and Khost provinces at a time when the population is also in need of assistance. food and non-food aid, and water, hygiene and sanitation assistance.

The European Union requested this Wednesday “international assistance” to Afghanistan, ensuring that it will help those who need it most.

See also  What is João Laurence's resignation and unanswered questions in the fight against corruption hiding - Observer

The situation is so serious that the Taliban-led government has appealed to the international community for help and support to deal with the devastation caused by this natural disaster.

In a rare public speech, Taliban supreme leader Haibatullah Akhundzade called on the international community and humanitarian organizations to “help the Afghan people who have suffered from this great tragedy and spare no effort,” the British newspaper quoted.

At a time when the territory was already embroiled in an economic crisis, the extremist group also called on Western countries to lift the restrictions imposed after the withdrawal of the US military from Afghanistan, which brought the insurgent group to power.

However, the involvement of the Taliban could become an obstacle to the distribution of humanitarian aid, as countries such as Germany or Norway say they will not cooperate directly with the rebel group, but will only send aid through organizations such as the United Nations.

Complicating rescue efforts is the fact that the quake has affected areas already hit by heavy rains, landslides and mud, forcing townspeople to dig and search for survivors among the rubble.

In addition to those killed, at least 2,000 people and more than 118,000 children were affected by the earthquake, according to authorities.



Comments are disabled.

Continue Reading

Trending