Connect with us

Politics

Brussels threatens legal action for violation of UK Brexit treaty

Published

on

Brussels threatens legal action for violation of UK Brexit treaty

Brussels issued an ultimatum to Boris Johnson demanding that he abandon his plans to cancel Britain’s Brexit treaty by the end of the month, warning that the move “seriously undermined confidence between the EU and the UK.”

Amid a sharp escalation of tensions that threaten the future of trade negotiations between the two sides, the European Commission on Thursday threatened legal action if the British Prime Minister did not withdraw the controversial provisions from the UK internal market bill.

Michael Gove, a cabinet minister, insisted that the government “could not and will not” withdraw a bill that would allow Britain to ignore parts of the Brexit agreement concerning Northern Ireland.

Brexit Johnson’s tough tactics have been condemned not only by Brussels, but also by leading Conservatives, amid signs that the bill will be criticized by some Conservative MPs and their colleagues when it is introduced to parliament.

Michael Howard, a former Eurosceptic Tory leader, told the House of Lords that the bill would “damage” Britain’s reputation, while former Tory chancellor Lord Lamont said the government was in “terrible disarray.”

Some Tory MPs are expected to rise when the bill arrives in the House of Commons on Monday, a prelude to serious constitutional clashes with senior conservative colleagues in the upper house.

Mr Gove insisted that these plans are necessary to ensure a free flow of trade from Northern Ireland to the UK. Behind the scenes, some Tory officials discussed whether the bill could be amended to avoid confrontation with parliament and Brussels.

See also  Politic system

EU diplomats stressed that Brussels does not intend to immediately end negotiations on a future relationship, saying that it would be tantamount to falling into a trap laid by the UK.

David Frost, the UK’s chief negotiator, said the two sides will meet as planned for further talks in Brussels next week, but EU officials said the eighth round of talks has made little progress.

“If the UK doesn’t want a deal, it should just say so,” one diplomat said. “We are calmly and patiently working on the deal.”

The public statements came after the final round of trade talks in London following an emergency meeting of the EU-UK joint committee that oversees the Brexit deal agreed last year.

Brussels convened a meeting following the shock decision of the UK government violate international law by using parliament to overturn parts of the Northern Ireland protocol enshrined in the UK secession agreement.

The protocol resolved a long-standing stalemate between the two sides over how to prevent a hard trade border on the island of Ireland by keeping Northern Ireland close to the EU customs union while simultaneously being in UK customs territory.

Maros Sefkovic, the EU’s lead representative to the joint committee, exposed Brussels’ deep concern over the violation of the Northern Ireland protocol, warning that the future of trade negotiations with the UK is at stake.

Mr Shefkovich urged the UK government “to withdraw these measures from the bill as soon as possible and in any case by the end of the month.”

He said the move “seriously undermined confidence between the EU and the UK.” The commission’s statement added that now “the UK government must restore this confidence.”

See also  talking and political animal

Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, said the EU “remains committed to an ambitious future partnership with the UK,” while complaining that the UK “does not participate in a reciprocal manner on the fundamental principles and interests of the EU.”

Brussels rejected arguments put forward by British ministers that legislative plans are a necessary guarantee of the continuation of the peace process in Northern Ireland.

“The EU does not accept the argument that the purpose of the bill is to protect the Good Friday (Belfast) Agreement,” the commission said. “In fact, she thinks it’s the other way around.”

The Commission also said the UK would face legal action for non-compliance, adding that Mr Shefkovich “reminded the UK government that the withdrawal agreement contains a number of mechanisms and remedies to address violations of the legal obligations contained in the text – which The European Union does not hesitate to use it. “

An internal EU commission analysis document read by the Financial Times warns that even with the bill, the UK has “violated the integrity commitment” enshrined in its Brexit treaty.

The commission’s document discusses options for Brussels to act in accordance with the agreement, including taking the country to the European Court of Justice or launching an arbitration process – either of which could result in a fine.

The UK bill would empower ministers to intervene on issues such as the application of EU government aid rules in Northern Ireland and the need for export declarations for goods shipped from the region to the UK.

See also  bells: collective, political love | podcast

But EU officials objected that the measures would be a rough step up from the clear commitments in the treaty, undermining a carefully crafted deal designed to keep trade flows on the island of Ireland regardless of what happens in future EU-UK negotiations.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Elite politician and businessman arrested on charges of murdering his wife

Published

on

Thank you for your opinion! We’ll report the guilty! Could you help us by sharing this page?


Thank you for your opinion! We will inform those responsible for improvement! Check back often!


Last September, the politician gave an interview about the murder of his wife (ANN archive)

Monday (28) police announced the arrest political, Representative of the Legislative Assembly of Nagano Prefecture 丸山大輔, 48, as a suspect in the murder of his wife希美, aged 47, was found dead on September 29 last year on the first floor of a house next to the sake factory in Shiojiri (Nagano).

Advertising

According to policea politician’s wife died of asphyxiation caused by asphyxiation and the estimated time of death was in the early morning of the same day.

The husband was excluded from the number of suspects in murder because it was alibisaying that he was in the House of Representatives because there was a meeting in the morning.

husband and political who was arrested, was born into a sake-producing family founded in 1883, and graduated from the economics department of the renowned Keio University.

A member of the Liberal Democratic Party (PLD), he began his career as a legislator for the city of Shiojiri in 2015 and was elected as a provincial representative in 2019. Nagano.

As Nozomi’s wife was lying near the office safe, it was suspected that she wanted the money, but doubts were in the air as there was no sign that it had been broken into from the inside.

See also  talking and political animal

After the fall alibia police analyze that an elite politician and businessman acted alone, but did not say whether he suspected suspicion of murder.

In connection with death wifeabout political gave several interviews, saying “I have no idea who is to blame and I can’t help but get angry. I urge (the culprit) to surrender.”

Fontes: ANN e Tokyo Sports

Thank you for your opinion! We’ll report the guilty! Could you help us by sharing this page?


Thank you for your opinion! We will inform those responsible for improvement! Check back often!


Continue Reading

Politics

STF to consider Sergio Cabral’s habeas corpus petition next week

Published

on

published on 28.11.2022 20:28


(credit: WALTER CAMPANATO-ADB)

The Second Bench of the Federal Supreme Court (STF) will consider, starting next week, habeas corpus submitted by the defense former Governor of Rio de Janeiro Sergio Cabral🇧🇷 If the request of the lawyers is granted, the politician can be released. He was convicted by former judge Sergio Moro of the Federal Court of Curitiba as part of Operation Lava Hato.

The decision will be taken at the virtual plenary session of the Court from 9 to 16 December. The rapporteur is Minister Edson Fachin. In the appeal filed, Cabral’s lawyers argue that the case should not have been tried in the state capital of Paraná and ask for the convictions to be overturned.

Last December, the STF overturned one of the sentences against Sergio Cabral., determined by Judge Marcelo Bretas for Operation Reveal Fracture. For the Second Bench of the Court, there was no connection between the medical anomalies and the corruption found in the Secretariat of Works that led to Operation Calicut, the first lawsuit against the former governor.

This decision did not affect the retention of Cabral, and five warrants for his preventive arrest remained in force. The politician has 21 convictions, which is a total of 399 years and 11 months in prison.

Arrested by Lava Jato

Sergio Cabral, the former governor of Rio, served six years in prison this year. Arrested in Operation Lava Jato, he is the only major politician still incarcerated due to the schemes the task force investigated.

See also  Legislative review. PS ahead, but with the worst result since March 2020, Chega in 3rd place with 10%

Cabral was arrested by the Federal Police during Operation Calicut on charges of accepting bribes in exchange for contracts for works such as the refurbishment of the Maracanã, Arco Metropolitano and PAC das Favelas. The Federal Public Ministry (MPF) convicted the politician in 37 criminal cases, 35 of which were related to Lava-Jato. He is accused of crimes such as corruption, money laundering, criminal organization and currency evasion.

Newsletter

Assign a newsletter to do Brazilian Post🇧🇷 And be aware of the main news of the day from the very morning. Click here.

Coating Correio Braziliense

Do you want to be aware of the main news from Brazil and the world? Follow him Brazilian Post in social networks. we are inside TwitterNo facebookNo InstagramNo tik tak e no YouTube🇧🇷 Follow!

Continue Reading

Politics

US press conference turns discussion on political issues with Iran

Published

on

US press conference turns discussion on political issues with Iran

Team USA coach Gregg Berchalter at a press conference (Photo: Hector Vivas – FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images)

The US press conference on the eve of the World Cup match against Iran was prickly. The game is tomorrow (29) at 4:00 pm, and the Q&A session with coach Gregg Berhalter and captain Tyler Adams was tense, talking more about conflicts between nations than football.

Journalists, especially from Iran, behaved more aggressively during interrogations. The game, in addition to the political scenario, also had controversy during this World Cup, as a US social media post removed the emblem of Iran from its flag, as ostensibly support for the protests that are taking place in the country. The Iranian federation has already asked to exclude North Americans from the Cup.

Read also:

Gregg Berkhalter and Tyler Adams’ strategy was to try to minimize off-field time and deal more with World Cup-related issues as both teams struggle to reach the round of 16.

“When I think about this match, I know that it is connected to other things, other feelings. But for us, it’s a football match against a good team, a knockout match where both teams are trying to qualify. Confrontation. Sport. should unite countries, as we see at the Olympics. Like brothers,” Berhalter began.

“We have no idea what is being done, what is being published [nas redes sociais]🇧🇷 I don’t want to sound like I don’t care, but these players have worked very hard to get here and we are focused on our work. All we can do is apologize on behalf of the players and our staff.”

See also  Lebanese Christian politician skips hearing on street clashes in Beirut - Monitor of the East

“I don’t understand international politics, I’m a coach. I can’t answer that” and “I came here to talk about the United States, not about Jurgen Klinsman. trainer phrases.

Adams was accused of mispronouncing the name Iran. In addition, he was asked about the defense of the US, a country with racism problems.

“Sorry for the mispronunciation. There is discrimination everywhere, which I can confirm by living outside my country. In the United States, we are making progress every day. progress,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending