Connect with us

World

A spokeswoman for Merkel said Germany will accept more than 1,500 additional migrants from Greece.

Published

on

A spokeswoman for Merkel said Germany will accept more than 1,500 additional migrants from Greece.

The country’s decision came after a major fire destroyed a migrant camp on the Greek island of Lesvos.

Seibert said in a statement that 1,553 people from 408 families who have already received refugee status will be admitted.

In addition, the German government is “committed to a further European solution with other hospitable member countries,” he said.

In the context of such a European solution, Germany will also participate “to make additional efforts in line with the size of our country,” the statement said.

Last week, a massive fire destroyed Moriah, the largest refugee camp in Europe, leaving 13,000 people homeless in Lesvos. Germany said after the fire it would accept 150 unaccompanied minors from the burned-out camp.

On Tuesday, five people were arrested over the fire, and another person is still on the wanted list. Three adults and two minors are Afghan citizens, the Greek police told CNN.

Moria has been under isolation due to the coronavirus pandemic.

German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas previously described the situation as a “humanitarian disaster.”

“What is happening in Moria is a humanitarian disaster,” Maas wrote on 9 September.

“As soon as possible, we must clarify with the EU Commission and other EU countries wishing to help how we can support Greece. This includes the distribution of the runaways among those who are ready to accept them in the EU ”.

Macron: France and Germany join forces to welcome refugees after a fire in a camp in Lesvos.

Germany is working with France to help migrants from Moria, and French President Emmanuel Macron has expressed hope that European countries will unite to resolve the crisis.

“We are coordinating our actions to propose a proposal to Germany and France, and we are trying to include as many European countries as possible, in particular for receiving refugees and minors, depending on the requirements of the Greek government,” he said on September 10.

See also  UK health minister admits to violating adultery

Thousands of migrants and refugees were stranded in Moria and left homeless after the fire. Greece is building a new camp, but many of Moria’s former residents are reluctant to return to the camp.

Human rights groups and NGOs warn that migrants live in hazardous conditions without sanitation.

“European leaders must act quickly to keep people stranded in Lesvos safe,” Belkis Ville, senior crisis and conflict researcher at Human Rights Watch (HRW), said in a statement Wednesday.

HRW also warned that vulnerable women were left alone on the streets of Lesvos “without clear measures to protect them.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

World

After the surrender at Azovstal, the fate of Ukrainian soldiers is unclear – Obozrevatel

Published

on

You have free access to all Observer articles as a subscriber.

The withdrawal of hundreds of Ukrainian soldiers who had been at the Azovstal plant in Mariupol since the beginning of the war raised the question: what was the fate of those who surrendered? Ukraine has announced that a prisoner exchange will take place, while Russia is showing signs that the men, who remained for months at the factory in Russian-controlled territory, have another destination.

On the day of the surrender, the Deputy Minister of Defense of Ukraine confirmed the withdrawal of 53 soldiers who needed medical attention and another 211 soldiers who were inside the Azovstal steel plant. All were transported to regions controlled by the troops of Vladimir Putin.

Although a Ukrainian official said the aim is to exchange these soldiers for Russian prisoners of war, the Kremlin’s position is still unclear, especially after one of the deputies involved in the peace talks with Kyiv came to defend the death penalty for soldiers withdrawn from Azovstal. .

Give up? In total, 264 soldiers were withdrawn from Azovstal. The army said it had “completed” the defense of the plant

A PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

If Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov assured that the soldiers would be treated “in accordance with international standards,” then so be it. that Russia should “think well” about imposing capital punishment on the members of the Azov battalion, who have now been withdrawn from the Azovstal metallurgical plant.

“They do not deserve to live after the heinous crimes against humanity that they have committed and that are constantly being committed against our prisoners,” he said, quoted by Reuters.

Already on Tuesday it became known that on May 26 the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation will decide on the recognition of the Azov battalion as a terrorist organization. According to the Interfax news agency, cited by the BBC, it will be Russian justice that will “judge the nationalist paramilitary association Azov, deciding whether it is a” terrorist organization “.

According to the Russian news agency RIA, Russian MP Sultan Khamzaev also said that “all nationalists should be convicted for the grave crimes they have committed” and sentenced to “life imprisonment.”

Azov. Neo-Nazis or Russian propaganda? History and ideology of the battalion that survived in Mariupol

See also  Putin called the end of Finland's military neutrality a "mistake" - Observer
Continue Reading

World

Putin will make military decisions at the level of colonel or brigade | Russia

Published

on


Russian President Vladimir Putin will be so involved in the war in Ukraine that he will make military decisions, which are usually the responsibility of colonels or brigadier generals, usually leading teams of 700 to 900 troops, Western military sources cited by the British press office said. Click.

Continue Reading

World

“We are doing everything possible to save the crew” – Observer

Published

on

You have free access to all Observer articles as a subscriber.

The Ukrainian Armed Forces shared on their Facebook account an audio recording of the last moments of the crew aboard the Moskva, the Russian warship that successfully attacked Ukraine.

Moscow-1, two holes! The propeller has stopped! The ship is sinking and lying on its side“, His one of the crew members can be heard speaking in the audio, according to the New York Post. Russian warship was April 14 blowin the Black Sea, eventually sank.

The first pictures of the ship “Moskva” after the Ukrainian attack. Sailor’s mother reveals ‘terrifying’ scenario

On the recording, so far according to the New York newspaper, the sailor reports that a hole in the ship’s hull below the waterline will cause the ship to turn 30 degrees.

A PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

There is no way to get to the tugs. We are doing everything we can to save the crew.”

The battleship Moskva, built during the Soviet Union, was one of the main assets of the Russian fleet. Ukrainian forces provided the ship was hit by Neptune missiles.. Then the Russians said that the flooding was due to a fire on board, without specifying the cause of the fire.

Rocket “Neptune”: Ukrainian ace who sank the “Moscow”, the pearl of the Russian fleet

See also  Covid-19: NGO warns Venezuela pandemic is "out of control" - News
Continue Reading

Trending