Two cruise ships hit by coronavirus weeks after industry restarts
Covid-19 has been detected on at least two cruise ships – one in the Arctic and one in the Pacific – just weeks after cruising holidays restarted.
At least 40 passengers and crew from the MS Roald Amundsen have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, and authorities are trying to contact trace hundreds of passengers from two recent Arctic voyages the ship took.
Four crew members on the MS Roald Amundsen were hospitalised on Friday when the ship arrived at the Norwegian port of Tromsø, and later diagnosed with the respiratory illness. Tests showed another 32 of the 158 staff were also infected:
New Zealand has reported two new cases of Covid-19 on Monday, both diagnosed in travellers returning to the country who are quarantined in government-managed facilities.
It has been 94 days since a coronavirus case in New Zealand was last recorded as being acquired locally from an unknown source. There are 27 active cases in the country, all among returning travelers staying in the isolation facilities.
Returnees must spend two weeks at the hotels, where they are tested twice for Covid-19. Only New Zealanders and certain essential workers are permitted to enter the country.
The two latest cases were diagnosed in a teenage boy returning from the United States and a man in his 20s arriving from Switzerland.
Vietnam’s coastal city of Danang plans to test its entire population of 1.1 million people for coronavirus infection, the governing authorities said on Saturday, as 40 new cases linked to the tourist hot spot were reported across the country, taking total infections to 586, with three deaths, Reuters reports.
Most of the new cases are linked to hospitals in Danang city, where the first locally transmitted infection in more than three months was detected last week.
The Health Ministry said on Saturday that up to 800,000 visitors to Danang have left for other parts of the country since 1 July, adding that more than 41,000 people have visited three hospitals in the city since.
Local medical officials in Danang have conducted 8,247 coronavirus tests in the city since 25 July, when the latest cluster was first detected. Testing capacity will be increased to 8,000-10,000 per day, the governing authorities said.
Vietnam has detected new coronavirus cases in other cities, including Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, with links to Danang.
Meanwhile, authorities of the capital city, Hanoi said late on Saturday it had carried out around 49,000 tests since Thursday after the city ordered mass testing for all people who recently returned from the popular coastal city.
Here’s another way in which New Zealand is casting off the last restraints on domestic life since Covid-19:
Jury trials resumed today in the country’s courts for the first time since New Zealand entered a strict period of lockdown in late March. While life has largely returned to normal in the country – there are no known cases of Covid-19 in the general population, outside of quarantine facilities – only defendants who opted to be tried by a judge alone have been able to proceed through the system.
The return to jury trials was tested in one city, Dunedin, in late July to see how potential jurors would respond to receiving a summons, the Otago Daily Times reported. But there were no issues with attendance.
There is, however, a long wait – often a case can take a year to come to trial in New Zealand, and the lockdown resulted in about 500 extra trials in the system.
The governments of New Zealand and Australia have been talking for months now about the eventual possibility of a trans-Tasman travel “bubble”, in which travelers would be able to move between the countries without spending the requisite time required in quarantine at each end.
But the events in the Australian state of Victoria are a significant impediment to those plans happening any time soon, Jacinda Ardern told Radio New Zealand on Monday.
“This is a major setback for trans-Tasman travel because we have always said we have to be very, very assured that any quarantine free travel we have with any country needs to ensure that it doesn’t come at a risk or a cost to us,” she said. “And so obviously this is going to be some time away now.”
When asked by RNZ whether she had ruled out such a travel bubble this year, Ardern said she hadn’t “put a timeframe on it.”
There is no known community transmission of Covid-19 in New Zealand; all diagnosed cases are contained in quarantine hotels among returning travellers. In contrast, Victoria has moved to its strictest period of lockdown so far.
The British love affair with home crafting shows no sign of abating, according to Hobbycraft, which has reported a 200% boom in online sales since the Covid-19 pandemic began.
Hobbycraft, whose bestsellers include a giant set of 1,000 craft pieces for £6 and soap-making kits for £15, said there had been “exceptional levels of customer demand” during lockdown as customers confined to their homes looked to find their inner craftsperson.
It is moving its popular craft demonstrations and workshops online as part of its adjustment to the post-coronavirus world.
The company, which has 99 stores on high streets and retail parks including five that opened last year, said total revenue increased by 8.9% to £193.6m for the year ending 16 February – before the Covid-19 crisis. Online sales grew by 19% over the same period:
China sends Covid-19 testing team to Hong Kong, prompting surveillance fears
Seven Chinese health officials arrived in Hong Kong on Sunday, the first members of a 60-person team that will carry out widespread Covid-19 testing in the territory as it races to halt another wave of illness.
The initiative marks the first time mainland health officials have assisted Hong Kong in its battle to control the epidemic.
The city has reported around 3,500 coronavirus cases and 34 deaths since January, far lower than many other global metropolitan centres. But the daily number of new infections has been in three digits for the past 12 days.
Members of the testing team, co-ordinated by the Chinese government, are mostly from public hospitals in Guangdong province, China’s National Health Commission said.
A group of local Hong Kong councillors said on Sunday that some local residents fear China may use their presence as an opportunity to collect DNA samples for surveillance purposes:
Gold command meetings of senior figures from the police, local authorities and other agencies to discuss the pandemic have been taking place over the weekend.
Major incidents are often declared as a result of a terror attack or natural disaster and mean a region can access extra national resources if necessary, with the police able to draft in the army if they need support:
Residents in the Australian city of Melbourne woke up this morning to their first full day of strict lockdown expected to last as long as six weeks, as the Australian state of Victoria struggles to contain an outbreak with hundreds of what authorities call “mystery cases” – infections that cannot be traced to known outbreaks. Yesterday 671 new cases were confirmed in the state. Many of Victoria’s cases are in aged care homes and among healthcare workers.
Here is a reminder of the restrictions in Melbourne:
Global infections meanwhile are nearing 18m, according to the Johns Hopkins University tracker, with 17.95m currently confirmed. There have been 686,947 deaths reported over the course of the pandemic so far.
Here are the key developments from the last few hours:
Residents in the Australian city of Melbourne will be subject to an overnight curfew for the next six weeks, and be banned from travelling more than 5km to go shopping or to exercise, as Victoria attempts to get the number of new coronavirus cases under control.The premier, Daniel Andrews, announced that from 6pm on Sunday, residents in the Melbourne metropolitan area would be under curfew for six weeks until 13 September.
UK prime minister Boris Johnson is considering new lockdown measures in England should there be a second wave of coronavirus infections. Plans are being assessed after a rise in Covid-19 cases forced the prime minister to slow the lockdown easing on Friday, with proposed relaxations for the leisure and beauty sectors delayed.
Trump campaign adviser says election will not be delayed. “The election is going to be on 3 November,” Donald Trump campaign adviser Jason Miller said, adding it is actually Democrat governors who want the election delayed by introducing mail-in voting, where ballots can arrive after 3 November.
India reported nearly 55,000 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, down from the previous day’s record 57,118 but raising the country’s total to 1.75 million. The month of July accounted for more than 1.1 million of those cases. The major cities of New Delhi and Mumbai might have passed their peaks, said a government expert, Randeep Guleria. Subways, cinemas and other public facilities are closed until 31 August.
The Philippines announced it would reimpose a stricter lockdown in and around its capital for two weeks from midnight of 4 August, as the country struggles to contain coronavirus infections that have jumped to more than 100,000 cases.
40 cruise ship passengers infected with coronavirus. At least 40 passengers and crew from a luxury cruise liner have tested positive for Covid-19 and the authorities are still trying to trace a number of passengers from two recent Arctic voyages, public health officials in Norway said on Sunday.
A major incident was declared in Greater Manchester, England on Sunday after coronavirus infection rates continued to climb at the end of the week. Crisis meetings of senior figures from the police, local authorities and other agencies have been taking place over the weekend amid concerns that numbers are still going up in the wake of stricter lockdown measures, which were announced on Thursday night.
France to push for sanctions for countries tolerating human rights violations in EU Covid recovery plan. France will push for financial sanctions under the EU’s 750 bn euro ($880bn) coronavirus recovery fund against states that undermine fundamental human rights, its junior European affairs minister told the Financial Times.
“You are the future,” President Marcelo Rebelo de Souza told a three-year-old girl dressed in traditional Portuguese clothing who came out to greet him on the podium where he spoke at Artesia Portuguese Salon. The city, located on the outskirts of Los Angeles, has not hosted the President of the Portuguese Republic since 1989. This weekend, he did it with pomp and the setting of an ornate Portuguese-American community bursting with pride.
“We have never lost the honor and responsibility of being representatives of this beautiful flag,” said Jimmy Enes, a member of Artesia DES, a Portuguese descendant, in a welcoming speech delivered in perfect Portuguese. “When we are asked who we are, we always answer”i am portuguese“and not”Portuguese-American“or ‘Portuguese American’,” he said. “That’s why we’re trying step by step to protect our heritage on the outskirts of Los Angeles, one of the greatest cities in the world.”
Artesia was one of the stops during President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa’s visit to California, which was the largest head of state trip since Mario Soares welcomed West Coast communities 33 years ago.
The hall received the President during the Festa dos Santos Populares, which he organizes every year in September and this time also celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Banda Filarmónica de Artesia. Dozens of musicians and dancers marched through the atrium, singing songs in Portuguese, as residents alternated between clapping their hands and tasting sardines. Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa exchanged words and took pictures with the Portuguese Americans. “It’s unusual, the president is always with the people,” Steve Miranda, president of the board of Artesia DES, told DN. “I think it touched everyone’s hearts.”
Zeto Carvalho, adviser to the Azores diaspora and head of SATA Air Açores, stressed the same. “This event is important and of great importance, because the emigrants feel welcome when the president comes here and demonstrates what he has shown here, this affection,” he told DN.
The president promised a visit in 2018 and is doing so this week, at a time when ties between California and Portugal are stronger than ever.
“The Portuguese presence in California, on the one hand, combines exemplary integration, and on the other hand, the spirit of association and connection with Portugal, which is in full view,” said Consul General of Portugal in San Francisco Pedro Pinto. . “Today Portugal is here.”
Located about thirty kilometers from downtown Los Angeles, Artesia has a Portuguese community of several thousand, mostly from the Azores. Surnames such as Rodriguez or Silva are often seen on the shutters of the villas around the hall, and the nearby church of Sagrada Familia still holds a weekly Mass in Portuguese led by Father Luis Proenza.
“Divino Espírito Santo de Artesia, in existence for nearly 100 years, continues to be a model community in the state with the largest Portuguese presence in the US,” said Jimmy Enes. California is, in fact, the state where the most Portuguese – 347 thousand. Accompanied by deputies Eurico Brillante Diaz (PS), Joao Moura (PSD), Rui Paulo Sousa (Enough) and Pedro Filipe Soares (BE), this delegation visits several of these communities, from San Diego and Artesia to San Jose, San Francisco, Gustin and Turlock.
The geographic dispersion in the giant state and the considerable distance to Portugal, with a single direct 10-hour TAP flight between San Francisco and Lisbon, makes maintaining connections difficult. Therefore, the president especially noted the work of the Portuguese salons in California, including Artesia.
“I am happy because you are a great example. So far away from Portugal, you are Portugal,” the President said in a speech almost entirely in English. “We want you to be Portuguese living in the United States, as Americans, never forget that you are Portuguese,” he continued. “I am so proud of you and this association. What you do here year after year.”
The head of state highlighted the number of young people in the Philharmonic Orchestra and in the hall, as attracting new generations of Portuguese descendants is one of the issues that most concern the communities. And he talked about the importance of learning the language, “the fifth most spoken in the world,” which is a constant demand of community leaders.
“We have to improve our Portuguese language skills,” he stressed, pointing to the work being done with the new superintendent of the Los Angeles Unified School District, Portuguese Alberto Carvalho, who was present at the event.
The Secretary of State for Portuguese Communities, Paulo Cafofo, who encouraged associations to apply for new support for associativism, also mentioned this aspect. “The Portuguese government is actively promoting the Portuguese language,” he assured.
For Paula Rocha Diaz, a Portuguese translator who emigrated to Oceanside for 14 years, this is a key moment. “I would like to strengthen the teaching of Portuguese so that the children who grow up here do not lose the language, as happened to my daughter,” he told DN. “Today, for the first time, she said that she was a Portuguese-American,” she said, demonstrating her emotion at being able to sing the Portuguese anthem with her compatriots. “I liked that the president reminded us that we are all part of the Portuguese pride and even though we are far away, Portugal is still in our hearts.”
According to Steve Miranda, with an estimated turnout of 500 to 700 people, the party at Artesia “was a huge success”. Necessary: ”We need to create this enthusiasm so that the younger ones continue to engage in our culture.”
The President understood the task, giving out hugs and listening to the numerous stories of emigrants. “Where the Portuguese is, there is Portugal,” he said. “Wherever we go, we take our soul, our traditions with us.”
Gratitude. It seems that the attacker Cristiano Ronaldo shared his social media with Portuguese fans after a clash with Czech goalkeeper Vaclik. In the auction, the assailant received a cut on his face and needed a bandage to stop the bleeding.
“Great game, important team win! We remain focused on our goal. Thanks to the Portuguese public for the fantastic support,” the striker wrote on his Instagram account.
The match was marked by a great performance Portugal national team, who beat the Czech Republic 4-0 to take the lead in Nations League Group 2 with ten points with one matchday to go in the group stage of the tournament. Cristiano Ronaldo ended up losing to his team.
After the match, the leader of the Portuguese national team appreciated the result achieved on the road. “It was a very important victory and all teammates should be congratulated on the result,” commented the 37-year-old striker.
With three wins, one draw and one defeat, the Portuguese team has the best attack in their group with eleven goals scored and a net difference of nine. The team is one draw away from qualifying for the tournament series. The next match against Spain is next Tuesday in the city of Braga.
Thomas Gouveia solidified his status as the best Portuguese in the Swiss Challenge this Saturday by finishing the penultimate day of the second European round robin in a group of 31st placed golfers.
Thomas Gouveia hit the card with 73 shots, one over par on the course, after two birdies (one under par hole) and three bogeys (one over), after making 71 shots in the previous two days for a total of 215.
Thomas Bessa needed 75 hits, three over par and tied for scarecrows, he finished 48th with 218 total, five short of Vitor Lopez, 60th with 223, after today needs 78, with just one bird . to fit five scarecrows and a double scarecrow.
The Swiss Challenge, which concludes on Sunday in Folgensburg, France, is still led by France’s Chung Veon Ko with a total of 206 shots, one short of Denmark’s Martin Simonsen in second place.