Connect with us

entertainment

A-level and GCSE results: Call for urgent review into grading ‘fiasco’

Published

on

A-level and GCSE results: Call for urgent review into grading 'fiasco'

Image copyright
Danny Lawson/PA Media

Image caption

Students took part in a protest in Leeds after the government’s U-turn on the calculated grades system

The education secretary has been urged to launch a review into the handling of A-level and GCSE results after exams were cancelled due to coronavirus.

A union for education leaders, such as head teachers, says it will write to Gavin Williamson over the “fiasco”.

Mr Williamson apologised to students after reversing how A-levels and GCSEs are graded, following heavy criticism.

Meanwhile, pupils will get GCSE results on Thursday as planned, the Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) said.

The confirmation comes following confusion over how results day would run after the government U-turn.

Julie McCulloch, director of policy at the Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL), said the JCQ’s confirmation would be a “great relief” to all concerned.

The government decision to give A-level and GCSE students grades estimated by their teachers, rather than via an algorithm, means that tens of thousands of A-level students may now have the grades to trade up to their first-choice university offers.

It has prompted concerns about the number of available places, with top universities warning that students who now have higher grades could still be asked to defer if there is no space left on their chosen course.

And uncertainty continues for students as the admissions service, Ucas, and individual universities have yet to be given access to the upgraded results.

Alistair Jarvis, chief executive of Universities UK, which represents vice-chancellors, said problems could arise around issues of “capacity, staffing, placements and facilities – particularly with the social distance measures in place”.

Universities minister Michelle Donelan said she wanted to ensure any students who had accepted a “different course” than planned, as a result of being downgraded last week, should be able to “change their mind and to reverse that decision”.

She said No 10 was working with universities to help “boost the capacity available” in order to “minimise the amount of students that will be looking to defer.”

Senior Tory MP Huw Merriman suggested students could be compensated with reduced tuition fees.

“For the cohort coming up to university, I think it’s all about making it up to them and saying ‘we understand that you have been messed around over last week’,” he told the BBC’s PM programme.

Analysis

By Hannah Richardson, BBC education reporter

There is still doubt as to whether the education system will do right by the Class of Covid.

Will their chosen universities be able to accommodate them? Or have they given their degree place away already? Will they have to come back next year and fight it out with students who have missed even more school?

And for the first time since this ageing education journalist can remember, exam boards are not holding their usual mind-boggling briefing on GCSE results.

So for some time at least, there will be no details of how the nation has done in their general school certificate examinations.

Roll on the start of term – although that’s uncertain, too.

Hundreds of thousands of children in the UK have had their education disrupted by the pandemic after schools, colleges and nurseries were ordered to shut in March – resulting in the cancellation of all assessments and exams.

The ASCL – which is writing the letter to Mr Williamson – said a review was urgently needed into “what went wrong” with the grading system.

“This degree of transparency is necessary at a time when public confidence has been badly shaken,” said ASCL general secretary Geoff Barton.

Mr Barton also called on No 10 and Ofqual to put in place a “robust contingency plan” for students sitting GCSEs and A-levels next summer in the event of further coronavirus-related disruption.

Student stories: Frances and Zainab

Image caption

Both Frances Ramos (left) and Zainab Ali were left unsure if they would get their first-choice university places, despite their grades being bumped up

Frances Ramos, 18, from Towcester, Northamptonshire, said she was pleased to be given her predicted grades of ABB – up from the BCD she received last Thursday.

But she said the U-turn “does feel like it’s a bit too late” and added: “I kind of wish the government had done this on Thursday.” She is now waiting to hear if her first choice, the University of Liverpool, will accept her to study this year.

Zainab Ali, 18, from London, also thought the government should have acted sooner. “I think it’s a shame. After the damage is done, that’s when they will take action and I find it quite frustrating,” she said.

The U-turn should now mean Zainab is able to attend Queen Mary University, London.

  • Students relieved and annoyed after A-level U-turn

The University and College Union (UCU) and National Union of Students (NUS) have also written to the education secretary, urging No 10 to help students who have missed out on their first-choice courses and calling for financial support for the higher education sector.

UCU general secretary Jo Grady said staff were facing “unbearable workloads” due to the fallout over exam results.

She added that “substantial financial support” was needed “so universities can protect all jobs, safely welcome students and continue to provide world class teaching and research”.

And Ms Grady criticised Mr Williamson’s decision to suspend a cap on student numbers for universities – effectively allowing institutions to accept unlimited numbers this year – because she said it meant “certain universities can hoover up students, hitting the finances of other institutions”.

Despite the cap being suspended, some universities have said numbers will have to remain limited, particularly on vocational courses such as medicine and dentistry.

Ucas was unable to say how many students had not been able to take up places due to their results being downgraded.

Earlier, Mr Williamson said he was “incredibly sorry for the distress” caused to pupils.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionGavin Williamson says his focus is on “making sure that every student gets the grades that they deserve”

Mr Williamson said it had been the common view of the government, exams regulator Ofqual, and the devolved administrations in Wales and Northern Ireland – of different political parties – that the system in place was more robust and “significantly better” than that in Scotland, after an earlier U-turn in Scotland.

But after the release of A-level results on Thursday he said it had become “increasingly apparent that there were too many young people that quite simply hadn’t got the grade they truly deserved”.

Mr Williamson’s critics had called for him to resign or be sacked, but there are several reasons why he hasn’t yet received a ministerial P45, says BBC political correspondent Iain Watson.

Image copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Mr Williamson would not say whether he had offered his resignation to Prime Minister Boris Johnson during interviews on Tuesday

Ofqual’s algorithm came under fire after data showed its downgrading of about 40% of A-level grades in England had affected state schools more than private institutions.

Ministers in England, Northern Ireland and Wales all decided on Monday – four days after A-level results were issued – to revert to teacher assessed grades rather than the algorithm.

  • NI: Assembly recall over exam results to go ahead
  • Wales: Exam board chief ‘disappointed’ by grades U-turn

The U-turn means teachers’ assessments will also be used for all GCSE results – except for any students for whom the algorithm gives a higher grade.

Exam board Pearson, which awards BTecs, has said students’ results that were adjusted downwards through the awarding process – only about 0.5% of the teachers’ grades – will be reviewed on a “case-by-case basis” with their colleges.

A Pearson spokeswoman added it was aware of delays in some students getting their results and was working with schools and colleges to provide any that were outstanding as soon as possible.

  • BTec students: ‘We’ve been forgotten about’

Timeline: Government’s changing position

  • 11 August: Gavin Williamson announced A-level students would be able to use their results in mock tests to appeal if they are unhappy with the grades they are given, calling it a “safety net”. Earlier in the day Scotland’s government decided to switch to teachers’ predicted grades
  • 12 August: Nick Gibb, schools minister for England, acknowledged the government was “concerned” about what had happened in Scotland but insisted the system in England remained “robust”
  • Thursday 13 August (results day): Mr Williamson ruled out following the Scottish government in reversing position, telling Sky News: “You’ve got to have a system that has checks and balances”. Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the results were a “robust set of grades”
  • Saturday: Mr Williamson told the Times there would be “no U-turn” on the grading system, saying Scotland had ended up with “a system where there aren’t any controls” and had “rampant grade inflation”
  • Sunday: Mr Williamson defended Ofqual’s grading method in the Sunday Express, saying the calculated grade “makes certain that everyone can be confident that these qualifications carry the same weight as previous years”
  • Monday: Mr Williamson announces a move to teacher-assessed grades for A-levels and GCSES saying “we now believe it is better”


Have your grades been raised? Have you still missed out on a university place? Do you have questions about your situation? Get in touch via the form.

In some cases your question will be published, displaying your name, age and location as you provide it, unless you state otherwise. Your contact details will never be published. Please ensure you have read our terms & conditions and privacy policy.

Use this form to ask your question:

If you are reading this page and can’t see the form you will need to visit the mobile version of the BBC website to submit your question or send them via email to

See also  Carolina Patrosinio's younger sister turns 18 - News
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

entertainment

Pregnant Ines Gutierrez shows ‘positive test’ and highlights ‘good part’

Published

on

Pregnant Ines Gutierrez shows 'positive test' and highlights 'good part'

Ines Gutiérrez took to social media on the night of Thursday, January 20 to let her followers know she tested positive for Covid-19.

The presenter, who is expecting her first child as a result of her relationship with Joao Montes, said that everything is fine with her, and in the end emphasized the positive side of the infection: “I have a positive result. I confess that I was surprised that I had not been caught before by this animal … not that I was careless or did not try as much as possible to do what is required of us, but the truth is that I already had what what I call “true racias”, because so many people around me have already become infected … “, starts with a letter.

“I feel that at this stage we are all playing a kind of Russian roulette. Some are lucky, others are chosen. I would like to believe that I will forever remain in the first group, but I was wrong.😅”, more added.

“I am pregnant and therefore I could only get vaccinated later, after a morphological ultrasound, and I confess that being pregnant, my fear, of course, increases. Fortunately, on January 5th I received my 2nd dose of the vaccine and I feel more protected despite being infected.” still can be read.

“I have symptoms: fever, body aches, sore throat and runny nose… deep down, like I have a bad flu. The usual low immune system of pregnant women is also characteristic. The good part: yesterday was much worse than today. Now yes, I have a good reason to completely relax and spend a week in our ❤️ bubble. Good food and plenty of fluids also help. I just wanted to tell you that I’m fine, calm, calm and resting. Now be patient and heal me. To you: health!he concluded.

See also  Filomena Cautela returns to RTP1 with Programa Cautelar | A television

Look here:

Continue Reading

entertainment

Mafalda Rodiles has a “heart in her hands” because of her son: “I had indications for surgery”

Published

on

Mafalda Rodiles has a “heart in her hands” because of her son: “I had indications for surgery”

Mafalda Rodiles scared with son Martim and ended by telling everything on this Wednesday, January 19, in his instagram page.

“At the very beginning of the year, Martim fell on his hand while playing on vacation. Since there was a fall in front of me, I clearly saw that we needed to go to the hospital, we went to the Odemira Health Center, where we were treated very well, they took an x-ray, confirming that it was broken, immobilized the arm and advised us to go to Lisbon., began to write.

“After two and a half hours I was in Estefania, with a heart in my hands, because Martim had indications for an operation. He not only broke, but also dislocated his elbow.”, continuation.

Despite everything, the actress received good news: “We were treated so well in Estefania that I can only thank you, and in fact the doctor managed to do a reposition, that is, he injected Martim with a sedative and put his hand in place, and then put a plaster on it. It worked, no surgery was required, and now there are only 5 days left to remove the cast.”.

“Martim was a brave man and I’m sure he will become great again”he concluded.

Reproduction Instagram, DR

Remember that Mafalda Rodiles is a mother chalk, seven years old, and Martim, four years old, through marriage to a Brazilian director. Edgar Miranda.

See also  Coronavirus: 'Reassuring' analyze of children's 'tiny' chance
Continue Reading

entertainment

Susana Henriquez of Peso Pesado considered suicide: “I was at the top of the overpass getting ready to jump.”

Published

on

Susana Henriquez of Peso Pesado considered suicide: "I was at the top of the overpass getting ready to jump."

or case Amelie Battle Bastos, a 16-year-old girl who disappeared in Porto and whose body was found in the late afternoon of the day after his disappearance, he left Portugal in shock. teenager ran “suicidal risk”, Existence “one year of psychiatric treatment for depression”. There are several people on social media who have spoken out and warned about the importance of mental health. Susana Henriquez is one of them.

A personal trainer, who competed in the first edition of “Peso Pesado” on SIC in 2011, revealed on social media that he was Amelie’s age when he considered taking his own life. “The case of Amelie touched me in a special way. I was her age when I was diagnosed with depression after losing the most important person in my life: my mother.”, began to write.

“I was her age when it crossed my mind a thousand times to commit suicide and end the suffering that I felt, and yes … I was literally seconds away from doing it that day when I was at the top of the overpass ready to jump!”, said.

“I was in a dark, cold place, similar to what this girl had. Similar but never the same. Only she will know how she felt. Only she will know how dark the world will be in her eyes! Depression is not freshness. Depression is a disease that often runs quietly and is one of the most painful that can exist. Anyone who has been in this dark place will understand what I mean.”, continuation.

Finally, Susana Henriquez leaves a message: “If you are in this dark place right now, I want you to know that you are not alone, that there is a way out of this alley, that you can turn around and smile again. If you are in this place… Please: ask for help! If you have someone close with signs of depression, pay attention, do not underestimate these signs, show that you are close to this person. Don’t listen… Listen… Embrace… Be present!”, he said.

See also  Carolina Patrosinio's younger sister turns 18 - News

“Let’s be more attentive to each other, with sympathy, without judgment and with love, in order to avoid such tragedies! Don’t Suffer in Silence: Contacts of the Voz Amiga Association. 213 544 545 – 912 802 669 – 963 524 660 / Daily from 15:30 to 00:30. Rest in peace Amelie. And may your family have all the support in the world.”, finished.

Ask for help.

CONTACTS

Friendly SOS line voice. Emotional Support and Suicide Prevention Phone: 213 544 545 / 912 802 669 / 963 524 660 (daily from 15:30 to 00:30)

Contact the Hospital Mental Health Services in your area – adults, Childhood and youth.

Line SNS24 (808 242424 and www.sns24.gov.pt) and 112 are also available.

Contact via crisis lines and yes Line of psychological counseling.

For more information see National Suicide Prevention Plan.

Continue Reading

Trending