Connect with us

Top News

US coronavirus: Some celebrate July 4 virtually while others throng the beach even though Covid-19 is soaring

Published

on

US coronavirus: Some celebrate July 4 virtually while others throng the beach even though Covid-19 is soaring

The change follows requests from health officials who warn crowds of holidays and overcrowded meetings as witnessed by the US over Memorial Day weekend are likely to lead to a further surge in coronavirus cases – amid a raging crisis across the country.

Already, nearly half of US states have stopped planning for reopening because new cases of the corona virus have jumped to record-breaking figures in recent weeks. Both the city and state leaders linked part of the increase to a meeting of young groups.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now projects that the country will witness nearly 148,000 deaths from the corona virus by the end of this month. So far, at least 129,676 Americans have died and more than 2.8 million people have been infected, according to Johns Hopkins University.

And while many cities take a measurable approach to celebrating the Fourth of July, images that emerge from weekend holidays show not everyone takes the warning seriously.

Your coronavirus question, answered

Fourth of July crowd

Crowds flocked to the Virginia coast on Saturday, even after the city canceled a display of holiday fireworks to “help keep Virginia Beach safe in the face of a coronavirus pandemic.” CNN affiliation CORRUGATED City officials reportedly warned residents of additional traffic due to the holidays, adding they anticipated tens of thousands of people would visit Virginia Beach.

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, saw a similar scene when beach visitors chose to celebrate it on Saturday water. Earlier this week, the state governor announced the bar on the Delaware coast would be closed for holiday weekends.

Meanwhile, in California, where many beaches in the southern part of the state are closed for holiday weekends, the beach crowd in San Diego is reminiscent of years ago. CNN affiliation KSWB reported many who did not maintain social distance or wear masks.

“It seems quite ordinary for July 4 with many people,” Marine Safety Lieutenant Rich Stropky told the affiliate.

In other parts of the country, crowds gathered to continue protests that had lasted for more than a month across the United States. In Baltimore, an eyewitness said at least 300 people gathered around the statue of Christopher Columbus before dropping it and throwing it into the water. In New York, more than 1,000 protesters marched on the Brooklyn Bridge as part of the Unally New York Fourth of July Rally & March, police said.

Masks and social distance are also features that are largely absent from the White House celebration of the Fourth of July. Tables in the South Lawn White House are somewhat distanced, with about six chairs per table.

See also  OECD: Portuguese government needs to improve conditions for health workers

And when people tried to beat the heat of July, many gathered in the shade in the room, not far away at all.

34 countries recorded increases in new cases

More than 1,400 Georgian health workers signed a letter asking the governor to limit more coronaviruses

Coronavirus cases are on the rise in 34 countries over the past week, with 12 noting an increase of more than 50%, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. Three states – Kentucky, New Hampshire and Vermont — reported a decrease in cases.

This is a state where cases are trending: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, the states of Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Stable cases in 13 states: Arkansas, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Virginia and Wyoming.

Florida set an all-time record

Florida set an all-time record of most corona virus cases on one Saturday, with a total of 11,458 new cases, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

The state has now surpassed the previous day’s height of 11,434 in New York, which was recorded in mid-April.

Florida reported 18 deaths on Saturday.

In spite of the rapid increase in cases and warning officials, Florida might become the new epicenter of the country, the governor said he did not plan to walk back with reopening measures.

In Texas, there were 8,258 new cases of Covid-19, according to the latest data released by the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS). That marks the second highest number of cases reported in a day from the country. The previous record was set on July 1, when there were 9,308 new cases reported.

2 Texas counties urged residents to take refuge in places when hospitals reach capacity

Hospitals in at least two states of Texas have reached their maximum capacity.

See also  Is Hollywood ready to resume film production?

In Starr County, at least two patients must be flown out of the area for treatment.

“Local hospitals and valleys are at full capacity and do not have a bed anymore. I urge all our residents to please shelter on the spot, wear face coverings, practice keeping social distance, and AVOID FINDINGS,” Judge Eloy Vera said.

In Hidalgo District, Judge Richard Cortez asked residents to take shelter and “only call 911 if absolutely necessary.”

Alta Mantra CNN, Nicky Robertson, Jason Hoffman, Jeremy Diamond, Chuck Johnston, Kay Jones and Ganesh Setty contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese plan to save energy, explosions on Russian gas pipelines and other TSF events

Published

on

Portuguese plan to save energy, explosions on Russian gas pipelines and other TSF events

Details of the energy saving plan laid out by the government were released on Tuesday. The document, published in Diário da República, includes measures for the efficient use of water, public lighting and temperature limits in air conditioners.

For example, from December 6, 2022 to January 6, 2023, Christmas lighting in Portugal should only be on from 18:00 to 24:00.

Continue Reading

Top News

The abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad will not be accepted by parliament, MP says – Observer

Published

on

The abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad will not be accepted by parliament, MP says - Observer

According to Socialist MP Paulo Pisco, the views of the BE, PCP and PAN on the abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad were voted on Tuesday in a parliamentary committee.

The Committee on Foreign Affairs and Portuguese Communities voted on Tuesday in favor of four projects – from the Left Bloc, the Communist Party of Portugal, “People-Animal-Nature” and “Enough”, which mainly advocate the abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad and free school textbooks.

According to Paulo Pisco, a socialist member of the commission, the opinions of the BE, PKP and PAN were approved, but Chega’s opinion deserved to be abstained from the PS because it contained “xenophobic elements” in its purpose.

The MP had in mind, in particular, the recipients of this teaching, which is currently intended not only for the Portuguese or the descendants of the Portuguese, but also for those who want to learn the Portuguese language, with which Chega allegedly disagrees, according to Paulo Pisco. .

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

After the approval of these opinions, the abolition of the bribe would be discussed and voted on in the plenary session of the Assembly of the Republic, but Paulo Pisco said that they should not be approved, since the “commitment” of the government is different.

“The government’s obligation is to reduce the burden of the Portuguese” and this will always be determined “in every approved state budget”.

Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese health minister rejects conflict of interest over marriage to president

Published

on

The health minister said there was no conflict of interest in her marriage to the current chairman of the Order of Dietitians, saying that the trusteeship of that body had been delegated to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion.


Portugal Digital with Lusa



“Honestly, I don’t think it exists. I have no doubt that this Lady Secretary of State will fill this leadership role,” Manuel Pizarro said on Monday (age 26) on the sidelines of the Pharmacist’s Day celebrations in Sintra, in the Lisbon area.

Aware of the possible conflict of interest, Manuel Pizarro explained that he took “the most appropriate measure (…)”, which was to entrust the functions of guardianship of the Order of Nutritionists to Margarida Tavares.”

“(…) Since I took office as a minister, I have been aware that, since professional organizations have an administrative oversight role, (…) there is a risk of conflict of interest, and I have taken the measures that seem to me the most appropriate, which from the very decided at the outset that he would delegate this oversight function over the Order of Nutritionists to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion,” he stressed.

When asked about the reasons why Margarida Tavares’ name still does not appear in the Diário da República, the official said that “it was necessary to wait for the inauguration of the secretaries of state” and then “to organize the whole process of delegation of authority.” .

“It’s even a good chance that there is a Secretary of State for Health Promotion. I think custody of the Order of Dietitians has been well handed over to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion,” he repeated, noting that “he definitely won’t go through the Minister’s order.” [da Saúde]”.

See also  Coronavirus: Uk advises against non-vital journey to Spanish islands

“If the secretary of state is responsible for this, it should not go through the minister,” he stressed.

Manuel Pizarro’s statements came after news that the government official may have a conflict of interest because he is married to the chairman of the Order of Dietitians, Alexandra Bento.

The Order of Dietitians was created in 2011 with the approval of the current Minister of Health, who at the time served as Secretary of State for Health.

In addition, Alexandra Bento was the only President of the Order of Occupational Health to attend the inauguration of Manuel Pizarro on 10 September.

Continue Reading

Trending