Connect with us

Top News

The US is targeting Chinese officials for Xinjiang human rights violations

Published

on

CNN captures rare images China doesn't want you to see

Those targeted included Chen Quanguo, secretary of the Communist Party for the region.

On Thursday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Treasury imposed sanctions on a number of officials, including Chen, Party Secretary of the Xinjiang Political and Legal Committee (XPLC) Zhu Hailun and the current Party Secretary of the Xinjiang Public Security Bureau (XPSB) Wang Mingshan. This step was taken amid increasing tensions between Washington and Beijing.

“The United States will not stand idly by when (the Chinese Communist Party) commits human rights violations targeting Uyghurs, ethnic Kazakhs, and members of other minority groups in Xinjiang, to include forced labor, arbitrary mass detention, and forced population control, and efforts to erase their Muslim culture and beliefs, “Foreign Minister Mike Pompeo said in a statement announcing visa restrictions on the three officials, which prevented them and their families from entering the United States.

According to the US State Department, the Chinese government has detained “more than one million Uyghurs, ethnic Kazakhs, Kyrgyz, and members of other Muslim minority groups” who are reportedly “subjected to torture, cruel and inhuman treatment such as physical and sexual violence, forced labor. and death. ”

Top US diplomats have recently condemned this “brutal suppression campaign” as “human rights violations on a scale that we have not seen since World War II.”

In recent months, the Trump administration has stepped up its rhetoric and aggressive actions against China on all fronts, including suppressing Chinese media entities, targeting Chinese pharmaceuticals and cyber-research and accusing the Chinese government of trying to “remake the world” in its companies. picture.

See also  Disney remake Mulan criticized for filming in Xinjiang | Film

Pompeo said he “places additional visa restrictions on other CCP officials believed to be responsible for, or involved in, unfair detention or abuse of Uyghurs, ethnic Kazakhs, and members of other minority groups in Xinjiang.”

The US Treasury appointed Chen, Zhu and Wang, as well as the Xinjiang Public Security Bureau and former Party Secretary Huo Liujun, Thursday.

Under designation, “all property and interests in the property of the entities and individuals mentioned above, and any entity that is owned, directly or indirectly, 50 percent or more by them, individually, or with other blocked persons, which located in the United States or having or controlling US people, is blocked and must be reported to OFAC. “

“The United States is committed to using the full power of its finances to hold human rights violators accountable in Xinjiang and throughout the world,” Finance Minister Steven Mnuchin said in a statement.

Regional experts noted that in the past the US had distanced itself from pursuing CCP officials, making this round of sanctions significant.

“The US often stops targeting Chinese Communist Party officials and in this case you finally see it done,” said Olivia Enos, an expert at the Heritage Foundation. “The person responsible for gross human rights violations is being held accountable. This is huge.”

Chen was the “architect” of the repressive policies carried out by Beijing in Tibet, which then applied to the Xinjiang region and allowed “rapid internment,” Enos explained.

In his statement, Pompeo said that Chen – who is also a member of the Chinese Politburo – “oversees widespread violations in the Tibetan area, using many of the same gruesome practices and policies used by CCP officials in Xinjiang today.”

There is widespread congressional support for these sanctions on both sides of the aisle. The Uyghur Human Rights Policy Act was widely adopted in Congress and signed by the President last month.

“Beijing’s savage actions targeting Uyghurs are anger at the collective awareness of the world,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said at the time. “This House of Representatives, in a very strong bipartisan way, we send a message to those who are persecuted that they are not forgotten. We told the President of China: You can tell these people that they are forgotten, but they don’t.”

See also  Sporting beat Benfica with Mateus Nunes and follow leader Porto.

The Uyghur Human Rights Project praised targeted sanctions in a statement Thursday.

“Finally, the real consequences have begun. This comes at the 11th hour for the Uighurs,” UHRP Executive Director Omer Kanat said. “The global response has been delayed for a long time. Now there is finally action by one government. Will other countries wait until it’s too late?”

Other human rights groups also call on other countries to do more and target Chinese people so that sanctions have the greatest impact.

“Imposing sanctions on certain Chinese officials changes their calculations, but also other officials who will be placed in this position of power in the future,” said Maya Wang, a senior Chinese researcher at Human Rights Watch. “And that is why it is important that these sanctions are coordinated among other governments because it will make them more effective in the future.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  Sporting beat Benfica with Mateus Nunes and follow leader Porto.
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  The last Blockbuster is hosting an Airbnb sleepover in September

Continue Reading

Trending