Connect with us

Top News

The Trump Administration starts an official withdrawal from the World Health Organization

Published

on

The Trump Administration starts an official withdrawal from the World Health Organization

Senator Robert Menendez, the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee tweeted the news Tuesday.

“Congress received a notification that POTUS officially withdrew the US from @ WHO in the midst of a pandemic. To call Trump’s response to the chaotic & incoherent COVID did not do it fairly. This would not protect American life or interests — it made Americans sick & America is alone, “he wrote.

A State Department official confirmed that “the notice of the withdrawal of the United States, effective July 6, 2021, has been submitted to the UN Secretary General, which is a storage area for WHO.”

The letter addressed to the UN is very short, about three sentences, a source explaining the correspondence to CNN, and it will trigger a one-year timeline of withdrawal. However, this source also warned that they could not confirm that they saw the final version of the letter.

The news confirms that the government intends to move forward with its plans to withdraw from WHO after members of the Chinese GOP task force urged President Donald Trump last month to reconsider the decision to end relations with international bodies, arguing that the US can do more to influence change as a member.

Despite accusing the World Health Organization of “allowing” the Chinese government to cover up the origins of the coronavirus pandemic, House Republicans finally disagreed with the government’s decision to withdraw from WHO in a report released last month outlining findings for a month. investigation of the origin of the virus.

Trump initially announced his intention to withdraw from the WHO in May and consistently accused the organization of helping China cover up the origins of the virus. He also claimed that if WHO acted properly, he could institute a travel ban for people who came from China more quickly.

See also  Hot Property: Burbank's Williamson recording studio for sale

While the move is likely to spark a bipartisan reaction, the decision could be canceled if Trump loses the November presidential election, a point repeated by a UN diplomat Tuesday.

“Whatever is done now can be reversed in the coming year, because it will not be final,” the UN diplomat said, referring to how long the withdrawal process would take.

Trump’s decision to permanently sever US relations with WHO follows a pattern of railing against global organizations for years, with the President claiming that the US is benefiting. The president has questioned US funding for the UN and NATO, was withdrawn from the Paris climate agreement and repeatedly criticized the World Trade Organization.

But health experts, US lawmakers and world leaders have expressed concern at the organization’s deforestation amid a pandemic.

After Trump’s announcement in May, a WHO spokesman told CNN, “We have no comments to offer at this time.”

Jennifer Hansler from CNN contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese plan to save energy, explosions on Russian gas pipelines and other TSF events

Published

on

Portuguese plan to save energy, explosions on Russian gas pipelines and other TSF events

Details of the energy saving plan laid out by the government were released on Tuesday. The document, published in Diário da República, includes measures for the efficient use of water, public lighting and temperature limits in air conditioners.

For example, from December 6, 2022 to January 6, 2023, Christmas lighting in Portugal should only be on from 18:00 to 24:00.

Continue Reading

Top News

The abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad will not be accepted by parliament, MP says – Observer

Published

on

The abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad will not be accepted by parliament, MP says - Observer

According to Socialist MP Paulo Pisco, the views of the BE, PCP and PAN on the abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad were voted on Tuesday in a parliamentary committee.

The Committee on Foreign Affairs and Portuguese Communities voted on Tuesday in favor of four projects – from the Left Bloc, the Communist Party of Portugal, “People-Animal-Nature” and “Enough”, which mainly advocate the abolition of fees for teaching Portuguese abroad and free school textbooks.

According to Paulo Pisco, a socialist member of the commission, the opinions of the BE, PKP and PAN were approved, but Chega’s opinion deserved to be abstained from the PS because it contained “xenophobic elements” in its purpose.

The MP had in mind, in particular, the recipients of this teaching, which is currently intended not only for the Portuguese or the descendants of the Portuguese, but also for those who want to learn the Portuguese language, with which Chega allegedly disagrees, according to Paulo Pisco. .

THE PUB • CONTINUE TO READ BELOW

After the approval of these opinions, the abolition of the bribe would be discussed and voted on in the plenary session of the Assembly of the Republic, but Paulo Pisco said that they should not be approved, since the “commitment” of the government is different.

“The government’s obligation is to reduce the burden of the Portuguese” and this will always be determined “in every approved state budget”.

Continue Reading

Top News

Portuguese health minister rejects conflict of interest over marriage to president

Published

on

The health minister said there was no conflict of interest in her marriage to the current chairman of the Order of Dietitians, saying that the trusteeship of that body had been delegated to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion.


Portugal Digital with Lusa



“Honestly, I don’t think it exists. I have no doubt that this Lady Secretary of State will fill this leadership role,” Manuel Pizarro said on Monday (age 26) on the sidelines of the Pharmacist’s Day celebrations in Sintra, in the Lisbon area.

Aware of the possible conflict of interest, Manuel Pizarro explained that he took “the most appropriate measure (…)”, which was to entrust the functions of guardianship of the Order of Nutritionists to Margarida Tavares.”

“(…) Since I took office as a minister, I have been aware that, since professional organizations have an administrative oversight role, (…) there is a risk of conflict of interest, and I have taken the measures that seem to me the most appropriate, which from the very decided at the outset that he would delegate this oversight function over the Order of Nutritionists to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion,” he stressed.

When asked about the reasons why Margarida Tavares’ name still does not appear in the Diário da República, the official said that “it was necessary to wait for the inauguration of the secretaries of state” and then “to organize the whole process of delegation of authority.” .

“It’s even a good chance that there is a Secretary of State for Health Promotion. I think custody of the Order of Dietitians has been well handed over to the Secretary of State for Health Promotion,” he repeated, noting that “he definitely won’t go through the Minister’s order.” [da Saúde]”.

See also  Fauci prominently stopped conducting TV interviews when the White House moved to reopen the economy

“If the secretary of state is responsible for this, it should not go through the minister,” he stressed.

Manuel Pizarro’s statements came after news that the government official may have a conflict of interest because he is married to the chairman of the Order of Dietitians, Alexandra Bento.

The Order of Dietitians was created in 2011 with the approval of the current Minister of Health, who at the time served as Secretary of State for Health.

In addition, Alexandra Bento was the only President of the Order of Occupational Health to attend the inauguration of Manuel Pizarro on 10 September.

Continue Reading

Trending