Connect with us

Top News

The Trump Administration starts an official withdrawal from the World Health Organization

Published

on

The Trump Administration starts an official withdrawal from the World Health Organization

Senator Robert Menendez, the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee tweeted the news Tuesday.

“Congress received a notification that POTUS officially withdrew the US from @ WHO in the midst of a pandemic. To call Trump’s response to the chaotic & incoherent COVID did not do it fairly. This would not protect American life or interests — it made Americans sick & America is alone, “he wrote.

A State Department official also confirmed that “notification of the withdrawal of the United States, effective July 6, 2021, has been submitted to the UN Secretary General, which is a repository for WHO.”

The letter addressed to the UN is very short, about three sentences, a source explaining the correspondence to CNN, and it will trigger a one-year timeline of withdrawal. However, this source also warned that they could not confirm that they saw the final version of the letter.

While lawmakers from both sides have long cited systemic problems with WHO, many also criticized the President’s decision to withdraw during the global pandemic once a century.

Despite accusing the World Health Organization of “allowing” the Chinese government to cover up the origin of the coronavirus pandemic, members of the Chinese GOP task force urged President Donald Trump last month to reconsider the decision to end relations with international bodies, arguing that the US can do more to influence change as a member.

Among its current functions, WHO is trying to coordinate efforts to get personal safety and medical equipment, such as ventilators, to hospitals throughout the world.

Some have warned that withdrawal in the current environment could also disrupt important clinical trials for developing vaccines, as well as efforts to track the spread of the virus globally.

See also  Teaching Portuguese Abroad

Moves come when the virus surges

Meanwhile, the number of corona virus cases keep jumping throughout the US and in various countries throughout the world.

There are at least 2,953,423 cases of coronavirus in the US, and at least 130,546 people have died from the virus in the country, according to the Johns Hopkins University case count.

On Monday, Johns Hopkins reported 17,346 new cases and 261 deaths. The total includes cases from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and other US territories, as well as repatriated cases.

Trump has repeatedly insisted that the increase in cases in the US was purely the result of increased testing, but a WHO official knocked down the claim on Monday.

WHO scientists and experts are scheduled to travel to China this weekend to investigate the origins of the new corona virus, WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus announced on Tuesday.

In particular, experts will try to trace narratives about how the corona virus might have spread from the wild to livestock that might be for humans, said Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO Health Emergency Program.

Trump initially announced his intention to withdraw from the WHO in May and consistently accused the organization of helping China cover up the origins of the virus. He also claimed that if WHO acted properly, he could institute a travel ban for people who came from China more quickly.

The decision can be reversed if Biden wins the election

The Trump administration has diverted funds from WHO and the formal withdrawal process will take one year to complete. Critics of the decision hope that the withdrawal decision will be canceled if Trump loses the November presidential election.

See also  Portuguese Contemporary Art Network opens enrollment in September | cultural policy

“Whatever is done now can be reversed in the coming year, because it will not be final,” a UN diplomat told CNN on Tuesday, indicating how long the withdrawal process will last.

Trump’s decision to permanently sever US relations with WHO follows a pattern of railing against global organizations for years, with the President claiming that the US is benefiting. The president has questioned US funding for the UN and NATO, was withdrawn from the Paris climate agreement and repeatedly criticized the World Trade Organization.

But health experts, US lawmakers and world leaders have expressed concern at the organization’s deforestation amid a pandemic.

After Trump’s announcement in May, a WHO spokesman told CNN, “We have no comments to offer at this time.”

Jennifer Hansler from CNN contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  De Blasio increases the possibility of distance learning in September
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  John Lewis: Lawmakers and the community to honor the late congressman as his body lies in point out at US Capitol

Continue Reading

Trending