Connect with us

Top News

Students who collect rubbish to pay for college are accepted at Harvard

Published

on

Students who collect rubbish to pay for college are accepted at Harvard

One trash person is a treasure of this student.

A 24-year-old Maryland man has been accepted to Harvard Law School after working as a scavenger for three years to pay for his education.

“I have to go ‘down’ the social hierarchy – that is, sanitation workers who were previously imprisoned – to be appointed,” Rehan Staton said CNN.

This is an achievement that was never imagined by Staton.

Staton has struggled to find security since he was 8 years old, when his mother left him, his brother and father. Things get worse when Staton’s father loses his job, and must take three other people at once to pay the bills.

“Often there is no food on the table and there is no electricity in the house,” Staton said Washington Post. “That was normal throughout my childhood.”

“No one can promise that life will be fair – but if you keep paying attention to gifts, everything will fall into place.”

School is no better than home. His grades are not strong, and the teachers give up on him, even calling him “flawed,” he said. When it was suggested that he be placed in a remedial class, Staton’s father found him a tutor at the community center.

“I finally got the honor roll for the rest of the year,” Staton said. “The same teacher who suggested I was placed in special education actually wrote a letter of apology to my father.”

Statons turn to athletics to defend them, and their values, in form. Through high school, he hopes to be able to become a professional boxer after graduation – until a severe injury to his shoulder forced him to put his gloves on forever. “I can’t go to the doctor, because we don’t have health insurance,” Staton said. “I’m broken.”

See also  Katie Hill said she "cried for several days" after the Republicans took her seat

With a low SAT score, he was rejected from every college where he applied. That’s when Staton got a job at Bates Trucking & Trash Removal. His new colleagues gave him the support he needed. “This is the first time in my life that people have appointed me to raise me up and not because I am good at sports,” he told CNN.

The company’s owner’s son introduced Staton to a professor at Bowie State University. Impressed by the young sanitation worker, the professor helped Staton plead with the school admissions board. It worked: He started undergraduate classes later that year.

“I got a GPA of 4.0, I have a supportive community and I am the president of the organization,” Staton said. Staton’s brother, Reggie, was also registered at Bowie State at the time but decided to go out and work in the same garbage company to support his brother.

After two years, Staton was transferred to the University of Maryland. His father suffered a stroke, so the prospective law student continued to do sanitation work to pay for medical bills. Starting at 4 in the morning, he will transport the garbage to the truck before class. Sometimes there isn’t enough time for Staton to take a shower after work, and he will sit behind the class to hide.

In December 2018, Staton graduated and was asked to be the speaker for the start of his class. He threw away the neon vest for a suit, took a job at Robert Bobb Group, a consulting company. He took LSAT while working full time.

In March, admission papers: In addition to Harvard Law, Staton was offered admission to Columbia University, Southern California University, Pennsylvania University and Pepperdine University.

See also  Google workers ask the company to stop selling its technology to the police

Staton will begin online classes at Harvard this fall. He will specialize in sports law and hopes to become an agent. A GoFundMe to cover his school fees have been set, and on Thursday morning, it had collected nearly $ 74,000.

“Nobody can promise that life will be fair – but if you keep paying attention to gifts, everything will fall into place,” Staton said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top News

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Published

on

Portuguese historical films will premiere on 29 December.

Method Media Bermuda will present the documentary FABRIC: Portuguese History in Bermuda on Thursday, December 29 at the Underwater Research Institute of Bermuda.

A spokesperson said: “Method Media is proud to bring Bermuda Fabric: Portugal History to Bermuda for its 5th and 6th showing at the Bermuda Underwater Observatory. In November and December 2019, Cloth: A Portuguese Story in Bermuda had four sold-out screenings. Now that Bermuda has reopened after the pandemic, it’s time to bring the film back for at least two screenings.

“There are tickets Ptix.bm For $ 20 – sessions at 15:30 and 18:00. Both screenings will be followed by a short Q&A session.

Director and producer Milton Raboso says, “FABRIC is a definitive account of the Portuguese community in Bermuda and its 151 years of history, but it also places Bermuda, Acors and Portugal in the world history and the events that have fueled those 151 years.

“It took more than 10 years to implement FABRIC. The film was supported by the Minister of Culture, the Government of the Azores and private donors.

Bermuda Media Method [MMB] Created in 2011 by producer Milton Raposo. MMB has created content for a wide range of clients: Bermuda’s new hospital renovation, reinsurance, travel campaigns, international sports and more. MMB pays special attention to artistic, cultural and historical content.

More about

#History of Bermuda #A photo #Portuguese

Model: Everybody, Entertainment, Movies/Movies, History, News

See also  Ground Beef Despatched to Merchants in the South Recalled for 'High Health and fitness Risk'
Continue Reading

Top News

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS ‘There will be room’

Published

on

CRISTANO RONALDO CAN MAKE UP A GIANT IN CARIOCA AND PORTUGUESE TECHNICIAN SAYS 'There will be room'

News

This is a fact or event of journalistic interest. This may be new or recent information. This also applies to the novelty of an already known situation.

Article

Mostly original text. Expresses the opinion of the author, but not necessarily the opinion of the newspaper. It can be written by journalists or specialists from different fields.

Investigative

A report that contains unknown facts or episodes with a pronounced denunciatory content. This requires special methods and resources.

Content commerce

Editorial content that offers the reader conditions for making purchases.

Analysis

This is the interpretation of the news, taking into account information that goes beyond the facts told. It uses data, brings events and scenario forecasts, as well as past contexts.

Editorial

Analytical text translating the official position of the vehicle in relation to the facts covered.

Sponsored

This is an institutional article on a topic of interest to the company sponsoring the report.

fact checking

Content that confirms the accuracy and authenticity of the disclosed information or facts.

Context

This is an article that brings subsidies, historical data and relevant information to help understand a fact or news.

special

An exciting report that details the various aspects and developments of this topic. It brings data, statistics, historical context, as well as stories of characters that are affected by or directly related to the topic in question.

Criticism

A text with detailed analysis and opinions on products, services and works of art in a wide variety of fields such as literature, music, film and visual arts.

Continue Reading

Top News

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Published

on

Maestro de Braga is the first Portuguese in the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba.

Maestro Filipe Cunha, Artistic Director of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Braga, has been invited to conduct the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra, as announced today.

According to a statement sent by O MINHO, “he will be the first Portuguese conductor to conduct this orchestra in its entire history.”

In addition to this orchestra, the maestro will also work with the Lyceo Mozarteum de la Habana Symphony Orchestra.

The concerts will take place on 4 and 12 March 2023 at the National Theater of Cuba in Havana.

In the words of the maestro, quoted in the statement, “these will be very beautiful concerts with difficult but very complex pieces” and therefore he feels “very motivated”.

From the very beginning, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 will be performed by an Italian pianist (Luigi Borzillo), whom the maestro wants to bring to Portugal later this year. In the same concert, Mendelshon’s First Symphony will be performed.

Then, at the second concert, in the company of the Mexican clarinetist Angel Zedillo, he will perform the Louis Sfora Concerto No. 2. In this concert, the maestro also conducts Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony.

“This is an international recognition of my work. An invitation that I accept with humility and great responsibility. I was surprised to learn that I would be the first Portuguese member of the Cuban National Symphony Orchestra. This is a very great honor,” the maestro said in a statement.

“I take with me the name of the city of Braga and Portugal with all the responsibility that goes with it, and I hope to do a good job there, leaving a good image and putting on great concerts. These will be very special concerts because, in addition to performing pieces that I love, especially Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky, I will be directing two wonderful soloists who are also my friends. It will be very beautiful,” concludes Filipe Cunha.

See also  Katie Hill said she "cried for several days" after the Republicans took her seat

Continue Reading

Trending